midges (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Ok Saturday is getting close, truck almost ready to go, now then these bloody midges up in Scotland....:Eeek:

What is the best defence against these blighters, I usually don`t get too bothered with them out in Greece but Chrissie does and we have heard all the stories about them having big knawing teeth etc etc.

So what do we use as a replelant...

Alfa_Scud

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
East Lancs
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Well a lot of people (the Royal Marines included) swear by Avon Skin so Soft spray lotion, the one in the green bottle though.

However I have to say, last time i was in Scotland it didn't work particularly well for me, although they did stay away from Sandra (that may have been her deodorant though :whatthe:)

People also say apparently midges don't like vitamin B, so plenty of brewers yeast tablets & Marmite sandwiches may be the order of the day.

Failing that - a beekepers outfit, although not great for paddling or sunbathing in ::bigsmile:

And don't forget the citronella candles in the evening, they don't work either but they at least smell nice :ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
have only ever found some cream i bought in gambia that was really good. it was made in leeds .when i returned i contacted the company and they said cant be sold in uk as its not a safe cream according to authority.
in the evenings wear thin cotton long sleeved clothes with elastic cuffs and trouser bottoms . try all creams sprays . also in the truck i use oldfashioned gas lights they are very good at keeping midges out the van.
we have tried alsorts even mosquito coils but gas lights work best. its the smell or something .we dont notice it . also kills them if they fly near the flames.
many of us that visit maleria countries end up spraying ourselves with fly spray sems to work. cant tell youi what the long term effect is but we are still here. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:have fun and dont scratch. cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The Rolls Royce of mozi repelants is DEET, you will nead to ask a chemist for it in the UK.
We always stock up with Myga in Scandinavia,where midges are prevalant, they call them flying teeth.
I also have a mozi net over my head when fishing up there.
I love the Northern Hemispher,but somtimes the midges make it unbearable.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Check the Midges

You can check the midge forecast HERE

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
We also leave to tour Scotland on Saturday in all the years i have toured Scotland at all times of the year i have never been bothered nor my wife like the last posts Avon skin so soft seems to work The only place where it was bad with Midges was the New Forrest

Bill:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
The only thing that works for me , and it really does , is Vitamin B Complex.
3 for 2 Boots , (180 capsules per container) or any other vitamin shop of course.
The ones i get have B1,B2,B3,B12,folic acid,in them 100% of your recommended daily dose.
You'd have to eat a lot of Marmite for it to work, or rub yourself all over in it maybe:ROFLMAO:
Vit B is good for you anyway , it helps maintain energy levels. You only need 1 a day , and can take it all year round.
I no longer get eaten alive by the bu**ers . Walk around smelling like disinfectant or insecticide, feel drugged up by antihistamine tablets . Or have large volcanic style weeping lumps like a leper, to put up with:cry:
Best of all i an sit outside on an evening without suffering , weather its in the Highlands or Greek Islands.
Try them.
Bev

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
As I sit and write this now in Dunoon, the midges are having their breakfast and biting well. After this spell of good weather and now some rain they are enjoying themselves. Just bought a solar insect killer from Maplins to try.
Main thing is do not itch where they bite as that brings out the lumps.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
As I sit and write this now in Dunoon, the midges are having their breakfast and biting well. After this spell of good weather and now some rain they are enjoying themselves. Just bought a solar insect killer from Maplins to try.
Main thing is do not itch where they bite as that brings out the lumps.

Regarding the Itching, saw an advert on tv this morning that there is now a product that you spray on to stop the itch .... sounds good if it works , sorry cant recall the name sure to be on the tv again though

Kath

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Get yourselves head nets but be sure to get midge ones, not mozzy ones. Midges are smaller and once through the mozzy net then **!"@##.:Doh:

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Avon Skin So Soft is supposed to work, not tried it myself, also what about 'Jungle Formula' not so nice smelling tho.
Otherwise avoid Scotland at certain times of the year, although some parts of Wales are as bad, not even smoking yourself with a camp fire works.

Tats

Free Member
Nov 28, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
newbie!
What part of Scotland are you visiting? I've always lived in the east of Scotland (Perthshire) and never bothered by them...the west coast is a different story though, beautiful I grant you, but hardly ever stops raining! When we head that way the Jungle formula comes out, and if it gets too bad we head east again! :Cool: Have a great time!

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
What part of Scotland are you visiting? I've always lived in the east of Scotland (Perthshire) and never bothered by them...the west coast is a different story though, beautiful I grant you, but hardly ever stops raining! When we head that way the Jungle formula comes out, and if it gets too bad we head east again! :Cool: Have a great time!

We intend to travel all over, a very vague plan is to make Stirling our first overnight stop then head up the east side of Scotland, not really hugging the coast but places we think might be interesting from what we have read, drive across the top to Durness then head down the west coast.

Have bought plenty of Jungle formula and also have the mossie deterent cream made by the same people that make the P20 sun block.
Mixed with the boots cream with mossie protection it works well in Greece. :thumb:

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Had a thread some weeks back about vit B and Marmite.

The B works for my OH but as we use Marmite in cooking a lot, I'm not sure if this also contributes.

As others have said, it seems the midges are mainly in the west. When we visited Edinburgh etc (after Glasgow and Loch Lomond where there were plenty) we didn't see any.
One of the wardens at a site on the Moray Firth, had some horror stories about when they worked at sites in the west, about hosing a black layer of the critters off the walls of the loo blocks each morning! :Eeek:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Avon Skin So Soft is supposed to work, not tried it myself, also what about 'Jungle Formula' not so nice smelling tho.
Otherwise avoid Scotland at certain times of the year, although some parts of Wales are as bad, not even smoking yourself with a camp fire works.

As i said in my last post been all over Scotland at all times of the year and had no problems the conditions have got to be perfect for them to come out

1 No wind
2 Near water
3 Near woods

how often up here do get no Breeze the worse place i have been is the New Forrest for the Midge does not stop me going back but to say Avoid the country is way over the top

Bill:Angry::Angry:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Take someone with you who really likes cheese and eats lots of it. Midges are supposed to love the sweat of cheese eaters :winky:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Ok Saturday is getting close, truck almost ready to go, now then these bloody midges up in Scotland....:Eeek:

What is the best defence against these blighters, I usually don`t get too bothered with them out in Greece but Chrissie does and we have heard all the stories about them having big knawing teeth etc etc.

So what do we use as a replelant...

Don't be put of by them i find the best route is Stirling/Blair Athol/Glenmore/over the Black Isle stop at Dornoch Stunning beaches from there the east coast is drab so cut into thurso Dunnet Bay over the top and spend most of your time on the west coast it will take your breath away down to Ullapool then to Gairloch over to Skye ferry to Malaig then on to Fort William down to Killin

Who noes i leave on Saturday we could bump into each other if you pardon the pun

Bill:thumb::thumb::thumb:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
we have just got back from 2 weeks in scotland ( edinburgh, stirling ,falkirk,west loch lomond,helensburgh)and was not once troubled by the midges.
looking at the front of the motorhome think we killed most of them::bigsmile:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Here in Glen Haggis we have a very effective method of dealing with midges.

Hit them hard at the back of the neck, with the side of your hand - a sort of chopping motion.

It does take a bit of practice, and it's a matter of individual taste as to whether you use backhand or forehand.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Here in Glen Haggis we have a very effective method of dealing with midges.

Hit them hard at the back of the neck, with the side of your hand - a sort of chopping motion.

It does take a bit of practice, and it's a matter of individual taste as to whether you use backhand or forehand.

I prefer the the overhand method with a moist sliper wife states that it hurts her bum still i would rather be up here with the midges than watch England get put out in the quarters

Bill:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
I prefer the the overhand method with a moist sliper wife states that it hurts her bum still i would rather be up here with the midges than watch England get put out in the quarters

Chris says we timed it perfectly, don`t suppose there will be many Scots cheering the English team on.
::bigsmile:

Tats

Free Member
Nov 28, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
newbie!
Can I call myself a member of a minority group then? ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well a lot of people (the Royal Marines included) swear by Avon Skin so Soft spray lotion, the one in the green bottle though.

However I have to say, last time i was in Scotland it didn't work particularly well for me, although they did stay away from Sandra (that may have been her deodorant though :whatthe:)

i reckon she was just lucky.....:thumb:
the carnivorous flying teeth are attracted to deoderant, aftershave and perfume.

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
As I sit and write this now in Dunoon, the midges are having their breakfast and biting well.

Avon Skin so Soft was being sold in the shop at Holy Loch Marina for £5.50 when we were in Dunoon last year.

If you go into the £1 shop in Dunoon buy some insect repellent that they sell, dont know what its called but supposed to be good. Also say hi to my cousins who own the shop.

Dale

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
i reckon she was just lucky.....:thumb:
the carnivorous flying teeth are attracted to deoderant, aftershave and perfume.

Must be the "LYNX" effect.....
:Doh:

I thought the colder that average winter had culled off a lot of the bugs...

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Who are Scotland playing first in the world cup?:ROFLMAO:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
We dont expect to win any competition thats the diffrence England expect to win but never do unless you harp on about 66 then again who sorted you out after that

Hi Bill,
Never mentioned 66.
Taking part is as important as taking the piss. (We both doin that).
Keep it light hearted mate.
John.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back