Filling my 110ltr water tank daily! (1 Viewer)

Doyce

Free Member
Jun 7, 2010
HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT!
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi, can anyone advise on the following please? I've just changed from 7 years caravaning to my first motorhome, a CI Mizar GTL Living. We were away last week for the first time and found it astonishing that I was having to refill the 110ltr water tank almost daily! At first I thought there must be a leek, so search everywhere and found nothing. I'm comparing the usage against the two 30 ltr containers I used on my tourer, of which lasted 3+ days and where still in the same habbits on how we use the water!

Any answersor suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Pete

chas

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
west midlands
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
32 long years !
Hi Pete- My first thoughts would be to establish if you definatly have a 110 litre tank and then, if so when you do fill up do you fill it really fast and perhaps then get a surge back from the filler point which may be a air blockage.
Also do you rely on what the water gauge says, as normally these are nowhere near accurate. If your tank is full with the amount you state then some prudance of the water you use is needed. Also does the water supply feed the flushing system of the toilet if so then its another drain of water on the tank.

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
What capacity is your Grey tank? Are you constantly having to empty that?

What goes in...must come out....so they say...:ROFLMAO:

I agree with Chas...Wondering whether the tank is really full or whether there's another issue.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Doyce

Free Member
Jun 7, 2010
HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT!
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for the reply both. I'm not 100% sure on the grey tank capacity, it's either 80 or 100 ltr but either way I only emptied it half the amount of time compared to filling. I did wonder however whether the toilet would have an impact as my old tourer didn't flush from the tank like the motorhome does. Having said this, the toilet only got emptied 3 times in the week as it only tends to get used at night by my children.

Maybe I need a little more 'trial and error' filling the tank to the brim and running it down till the taps dry up for a better indication of the usage?

Upvote 0

Rockingdodge

Free Member
Nov 6, 2009
Ross on Wye
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
You'll know when it's full to the brim as you should get drain-off through the overflow which should be somewhere round the fresh water tank

Regards

Roger

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
best way to be sure is to remove the seat cushions in the dining area, You will then see a screw top which is the water tank. Just fill it directly and you will then be sure it is full. You may simply be using too much water but It does seem excessive. Perhaps, its because we are a dirty family :winky: but we nevr use anything like that. Just filled mine up prior to stratford and 3 days later we still have over half.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My Mrs can use 100 litres a day, no bother. Just remember to use only as much as you need i.e. when showering, wet down, turn off, soap up and then rinse off.

Upvote 0

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
We have a 70 litre fresh water tank and that normally lasts about a day for 5 of us. We don't shower in the van all the time and when we do no not all of us on the same day.

When I initially fill the tank I fill until the water pours from overflow pipe, I then turn on the hot taps as the Truma Ultrastore which our van has for hot water has it's own tank of 10-14 litres and by turning the hot tap on the air is released and the tank is filled from the fresh water tank, once the hot tap runs with water I then top up the fresh water tank.

Upvote 0

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
Hi
We had a leak on our Hymer that only showed up when the pump was on,
we had water at the taps ect but a small leak was pumping water under the sink
out to the floor where it was slowly going out of the van, no real mess but
a b------r to find, may be worth a look???

Goood luck.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Have you got a Trauma water heater with an automatic dump valve? Either you have been in some frosty conditions,it can happen even now or it is faulty.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi does the pump run when it should not be ? ie taps off and no loo flushing ? Next you may have to wait a few days ( rain here ) to check if it is dry under the van / park on a road where it is dry :ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hiya,
Welcome to Motorhome fun.We are a family of 5 with a 2006 Mizar GTL living top class , so it could be the same model.
We've just got back from the Isle Of White and all used our shower daily as we were on a fully serviced pitch , and it was red hot and sunny all week bar 1 day:sin:
So we did get through more water than usual .
I'd try filling up the tank till its over flowing.
We dont take much notice of the electronic 1/2 , 3/4 electronic sensor thing , as it has been known to be wrong. We've been known just to lift up the seat and look in the tank to check , before now.
We have found we have lots more water to use before filling up , compared to the previous caravans we have had.
Hope you dont have a leak , and are just a bit heavy handed with the water usage.
Bev

Last edited:
Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Another reminder goes the other way. Don't carry too much water around, water companies do it much more cheaply.

Seriously water adds weight! This means you may be over weight, legally, and it also costs in fuel.

We carry a medium size bottle of Asda-type H2O for emergencies, (5 litres = 5Kgs) and a 2 litre one for a quick cuppa or several, We stick in what we might need at a campsite, and empty it before leaving, which seems to keep everything fresh and working without undue effort.

That's torn it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Doyce

Free Member
Jun 7, 2010
HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT!
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi does the pump run when it should not be ? ie taps off and no loo flushing ? Next you may have to wait a few days ( rain here ) to check if it is dry under the van / park on a road where it is dry :ROFLMAO:
terry

Thanks for the reply Terry. Yes the pump does run every 10 mins(ish) even though the taps etc wern't being used. It was quite anoying so I would just turn the pump off on the display. I did wonder if this was normal? I kept an eye out for leeks etc but found nothing. Also didn't use the shower once due to usage!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Doyce

Free Member
Jun 7, 2010
HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT!
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Another reminder goes the other way. Don't carry too much water around, water companies do it much more cheaply.

Seriously water adds weight! This means you may be over weight, legally, and it also costs in fuel.

We carry a medium size bottle of Asda-type H2O for emergencies, (5 litres = 5Kgs) and a 2 litre one for a quick cuppa or several, We stick in what we might need at a campsite, and empty it before leaving, which seems to keep everything fresh and working without undue effort.

That's torn it!

That's great advice, much appreciated as I'm still on the learning curve!!

Upvote 0

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
Thanks for the reply Terry. Yes the pump does run every 10 mins(ish) even though the taps etc wern't being used. It was quite anoying so I would just turn the pump off on the display. I did wonder if this was normal? I kept an eye out for leeks etc but found nothing. Also didn't use the shower once due to usage!

My pump will only run when I turn the tap on. If yours is constantly switching itself on and off it would suggest a loss of pressure in the pipe, i.e. a leak.

I`m not sure on the size tank I have in my van but it does me and the missus for a weekend, both having showers both days, plus all the other usage for washing up, cups of tea and cooking etc. And, I always seem to bring home a good portion of it.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

That could point to a leak :Eeek: or the more likely seals on your pump :Eeek: letting the pressure drop. Double check under your van on dry tarmac on a dry day with the pump turned on.If it is the seals you can get new ones or a new pump. SEALS AROUND £10 NEW PUMP SAY £50 ISH
terry

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp

This happened with ours when we first got it.
It was really annoying for our daughter as she sleeps above the pump , on the L shape sofa!.
Ralph realized it was the outside hose , attachment thing. In the water filling door.
It helped with the fact that the first time we used it , it was below freezing over the new year , and there was a frozen drip running from it down the side of the MH.
He soon fixed it , and the brrrrrr .... brrrrrr stopped. Something to do with the male or female attachment if i remember rightly.
If yours is the same model as ours it could be that ?:thumb:
Bev

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Doyce

Free Member
Jun 7, 2010
HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT!
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
This happened with ours when we first got it.
It was really annoying for our daughter as she sleeps above the pump , on the L shape sofa!.
Ralph realized it was the outside hose , attachment thing. In the water filling door.
It helped with the fact that the first time we used it , it was below freezing over the new year , and there was a frozen drip running from it down the side of the MH.
He soon fixed it , and the brrrrrr .... brrrrrr stopped. Something to do with the male or female attachment if i remember rightly.
If yours is the same model as ours it could be that ?:thumb:
Bev

Hi Bev, yes mine is the same model and while away I did notice this hozelock connection leaking so disabled it for now until I get a new part. Is this used for an outside shower connection aswell as a hook up to water on a serviced pitch? The other thing I've noticed is a very slow drip from the shower head so maybe this is the cause for the pump to kick in. I'm not to sure on what's required with the shower system so may seek advice before taking apart! Other than these problems, we love it to pieces and my daughters have never slept so well, and it's soooo much easier than having to make up beds in the caravan!::bigsmile:

One other question you maybe able to help with, is on the control panel display for the waste water, it shows 2 tanks but only the one on the left fills up and bleeps when full. I presume there must be a model with 2 waste tanks.

Once I have a few of the niggles sorted it will be just perfect.... :thumb:

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you got a Trauma water heater with an automatic dump valve? Either you have been in some frosty conditions,it can happen even now or it is faulty.

On the C series heaters this is true been caught by that one if the valve is open when the pump is running water fills the tank & is dumped straight out.
A common problem with these heaters is the over pressure valve it is in a 'T' piece on the side at the top of the tank one side is the hot take off the other is the pressure relief outlet which should have a pipe running out under the floor. When they are faulty they stick open so when the pump is running water flows out of the valve.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi Bev, yes mine is the same model and while away I did notice this hozelock connection leaking so disabled it for now until I get a new part. Is this used for an outside shower connection aswell as a hook up to water on a serviced pitch? The other thing I've noticed is a very slow drip from the shower head so maybe this is the cause for the pump to kick in. I'm not to sure on what's required with the shower system so may seek advice before taking apart! Other than these problems, we love it to pieces and my daughters have never slept so well, and it's soooo much easier than having to make up beds in the caravan!::bigsmile:

One other question you maybe able to help with, is on the control panel display for the waste water, it shows 2 tanks but only the one on the left fills up and bleeps when full. I presume there must be a model with 2 waste tanks.

Once I have a few of the niggles sorted it will be just perfect.... :thumb:

Just seen this so sorry for not getting back sooner .
Ive just spoken to Ralph,the hose lock connection isn't for a serviced pitch connection .
Its for a shower outlet as you said. Ralph has taken ours out , and made it into an inlet though , which came in very handy on the serviced pitch in the I.O.W last week.
This was because he found it difficult getting the hose round the swan neck inlet into the big tank. This meant lots of water came out , whilst filling up .
Now he just clicks the flat hose to it and the water goes straight in the tank and also fills it up to a higher level.:thumb:
You can actually buy the whole outside water mounting bit from Cak tanks , if you did want to replace the whole thing though . This is what he planned on doing if he couldn't convert ours.
As for the shower , he says its probably just a washer in the mixer tap connected to it.
Your right about the water tanks. s/1 drinking water , s/2 Grey water and s/3 spare incase you have one already or get one fitted. Ralph says if you need any advice about anything to Pm us an we'll give you our phone number.
Your right about the beds , comfy arnt they. Our 15 year old is 6 foot 2 and he still sleeps comfortably on the bottom bunk ! We searched for ages before finding , what we think , is a perfect family layout for us . Is yours the burgandy/gold or brown/cream interior?
Bev

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Doyce

Free Member
Jun 7, 2010
HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT!
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just seen this so sorry for not getting back sooner .
Ive just spoken to Ralph,the hose lock connection isn't for a serviced pitch connection .
Its for a shower outlet as you said. Ralph has taken ours out , and made it into an inlet though , which came in very handy on the serviced pitch in the I.O.W last week.
This was because he found it difficult getting the hose round the swan neck inlet into the big tank. This meant lots of water came out , whilst filling up .
Now he just clicks the flat hose to it and the water goes straight in the tank and also fills it up to a higher level.:thumb:
You can actually buy the whole outside water mounting bit from Cak tanks , if you did want to replace the whole thing though . This is what he planned on doing if he couldn't convert ours.
As for the shower , he says its probably just a washer in the mixer tap connected to it.
Your right about the water tanks. s/1 drinking water , s/2 Grey water and s/3 spare incase you have one already or get one fitted. Ralph says if you need any advice about anything to Pm us an we'll give you our phone number.
Your right about the beds , comfy arnt they. Our 15 year old is 6 foot 2 and he still sleeps comfortably on the bottom bunk ! We searched for ages before finding , what we think , is a perfect family layout for us . Is yours the burgandy/gold or brown/cream interior?
Bev

Hi Bev, thanks for the info, that's very helpful! Ours has the brown and cream interior, which I was a little unsure of at first but it has grown on me.
Not sure what a PM is as I'm new to this, sorry? Though I only have one further question you may be able to help with - How do you take the mixer tap off in the shower cublicle, as i can't see any obvious fixings and don't want to force pressure and break it!
Pete

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi Bev, thanks for the info, that's very helpful! Ours has the brown and cream interior, which I was a little unsure of at first but it has grown on me.
Not sure what a PM is as I'm new to this, sorry? Though I only have one further question you may be able to help with - How do you take the mixer tap off in the shower cublicle, as i can't see any obvious fixings and don't want to force pressure and break it!
Pete

Ralph says youd have to cut the silicone and remove the panel . Dont know about yours but ours has the center panel in silver plastic. That would give you access to the back of the mixer tap.
Ours is the Burgundy version , it looks nice but doesn't wear well . We knew this when we bought it , but we are having it all reupholstered within the next few weeks.

I shall send you a pm then you know how to do it.
Bev

Upvote 0

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
PM is a orivate message, you can read it by clicking on your forum name-top right, says welcome .........
you last visited ...........
Private Messages ........ click on Private messages.
Simples!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Doyce

Free Member
Jun 7, 2010
HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT!
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ralph says youd have to cut the silicone and remove the panel . Dont know about yours but ours has the center panel in silver plastic. That would give you access to the back of the mixer tap.
Ours is the Burgundy version , it looks nice but doesn't wear well . We knew this when we bought it , but we are having it all reupholstered within the next few weeks.

I shall send you a pm then you know how to do it.
Bev

Hi Bev, thank Ralph for the info, I see what he means and its quite straight forward to do. The reupholstering is something we thought about too as a good quality job would make the van almost spot on! We sold or Elddis van and the interior was very hard wearing and look as good as the day we bought it after a quick hover, so it;s a shame the MH isn't quite the same. Have you priced uo the reupholstering, and does it include the captain seats? I can't imagine it would be cheap!

Thanks also for the PM lesson - very helpfull :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back