Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Having recently bought a 2.0 HDI Elddis Firestorm,I find Im getting 27 MPG ,is this reasonable or should it be better.I know it depends how heavy my right foot is but I think Ive been driving in a reasonable manor,ie keeping the revs down before changing gear and cruising at 55-60. Any input gratefully recieved.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I don't know but 27mpg sounds good. Can't do the maths but we came from Dunkirk to Leeds on 3/4 tank and I was really pleased. Same mph as you I would say.
Ivy

Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
Reasonable for a coachbuilt doing the speeds you mention. Expect fuel consumption to increase on urban work and drop when on motorways if you keep the speed down. Watch out for headwinds as you will probably compensate by pressing down the accelerator and using more fuel. You'll be very lucky to hit 30mpg but be sensible and you'll avoid 22mpg.

Keep the weight of the van to a minimum. For example, travel with a 10 litre container of water for two adults rather than full on board water tanks. Empty your waste tank and cassette toilet when leaving sites. Load personal belongings with 'need' in mind not 'just in case' so that you do not carry any excess e.g. if there are two of you, do you really need 6 cups, plates, dishes etc and enough bedding for a refugee camp?

Keep the tyre pressures to the recommended level. Choose your route carefully. Sometimes the longer route will consume less fuel if it is flatter and not in urban areas.

In time, you'll be able to use your own experience of the van to find what suits you.

And I'm really pleased you've taken the plunge now. I wish you many happy trips.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Can I just add that its not really the sped that saves fuel, it's the engine revs (2500 to 3500) or more precisely the depression (vacuum) in the air intake.

As you accelerate the depression increases and draws in more fuel but when you reach the type of revs indicated above the depression falls right off and obviously draws less fuel.

This ideology still works fuel fuel injection.

If you really want to drive and save fuel get a vacuum gauge fitted and drive by that.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Can I just add that its not really the sped that saves fuel, it's the engine revs (2500 to 3500) or more precisely the depression (vacuum) in the air intake.

As you accelerate the depression increases and draws in more fuel but when you reach the type of revs indicated above the depression falls right off and obviously draws less fuel.

If you really want to drive and save fuel get a vacuum gauge fitted and drive by that.
I had forgoten about the vacuem gauge,we used to have them fitted years ago, When my father taught me to drive in the mid 60s he had one fitted in a Ford Pilot and I was taught to keep an eye on it to save fuel.
When I passed my test and was allowed to drive the family car on my own I of course wanted to see how fast it was...did that car cost me some cash not driving by the vac guage.:cry:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
no not just Reasonable but more of a miracle.!!!::bigsmile:

We get about 22 mpg on our 2.8 and on our old 2-0 like yours 23-25 tops. I must be a speed freak :winky:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not sure what happened this weekend but achieved the worst ever mpg since the van was new, but I did have 5 seats full with the A/C full on in back and front so shouldn’t really complain I guess.:Eeek:
On a 200mile round trip mostly 6th gear I only managed a thirsty 35.9mpg from my 2.5ltrs. :Sad:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not sure what happened this weekend but achieved the worst ever mpg since the van was new, but I did have 5 seats full with the A/C full on in back and front so shouldn’t really complain I guess.:Eeek:
On a 200mile round trip mostly 6th gear I only managed a thirsty 35.9mpg from my 2.5ltrs. :Sad:
:ROFLMAO: stick the roof up as in your pic Buttons ( more like a c/b )and watch the mileage drop :Eeek::thumb:
terry
ps before the roof box was fitted we averaged 31 :thumb: now down to 27 mpg:Eeek: :Doh:

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
In our Elddis 2.2HDI we managed 28mpg going to Scotland but it was Motorway/A road all the way. We went to West Wales not long ago and it dropped to 23mpg, still fair bit of motorway but then also lot of winding roads.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
:ROFLMAO: stick the roof up as in your pic Buttons ( more like a c/b )and watch the mileage drop :Eeek::thumb:
terry
I'm sure that I would have done that by now if it wasn't for the loud buzz when you start off.
I'll have to get a buzzer for the dog as I sometimes hook him on the tow bar and forget him. Got as far as the site entrance once before the kids spotted him. :pray: Didn't effect the mpg but there could have been some additional drag if we hadn't noticed him....:Smile:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I dream of 27 mpg :cry: when I thought we were getting 25 and eventually found out I was only getting 18-20 I was well disappointed.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I'm sure that I would have done that by now if it wasn't for the loud buzz when you start off.
I'll have to get a buzzer for the dog as I sometimes hook him on the tow bar and forget him. Got as far as the site entrance once before the kids spotted him. :pray: Didn't effect the mpg but there could have been some additional drag if we hadn't noticed him....:Smile:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:

OP
OP
P

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Thanks to all for the replies, so 27 mpg is about right then .My last camper was a VW that had an LPG conversion and at 60p a litre Im really noticing the difference :whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

if there was a significant vacuum in a diesels inlet manifold there would be no need for a brake servo vacuum pump.

a diesel engines revs are not dependant on the amount of air in the manifold, there is no venturi to create a vacuum, and the fuel pump alone controls acceleration and speed.
on a basic diesel the throttle cable controls the pump...not the air inlet.

plus, the turbo will increase manifold pressure above atmospheric so negiating any vacuum measuring device.

petrol engines, on the other hand, are exactly as you state.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years

Find out where maximum torque is in the rev band and try to stay there, too low is as bad as too high sometimes.

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I see the thread has moved on to "how to get the best", but I just re-filled my Autoquest 2.0 HDi for the first time since we bought it, and I managed 30 mpg, based on a fairly wide variety of roads.

I have always worked on the basis of smooth. plenty of anticipation to maintain momentum as much as possible and keeping the throttle pedal as high up as possible.

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back