Hose pipes (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
How many people carry there own hose pipe for filling up there tank when on CL's. Interested to know if one should be supplied or not.
I carry a short length about 6' but its not allways long enough depending on where the tap is. Not normaly a problem cos I generally fill up from home before we go.

wooly

Free Member
May 17, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
4 Years
Hi Most people carry at least 20meters of hose, some a lot more, I would recommend food grade hose, others will disagree.
Michael

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Good Afternoon Mr IPS.

We always carry hose pipe but very often dont use it because the tap's too far away or we just dont need any water.

Jim
::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our hoses live in the van permanently but I normally fill up using a 25 litre jerry can from which I then pump the water into the van. Our van came with a submersible pump which plugs into a socket next to the water filler.

Graham

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Our hoses live in the van permanently but I normally fill up using a 25 litre jerry can from which I then pump the water into the van. Our van came with a submersible pump which plugs into a socket next to the water filler.

Graham

How does this work Graham, does the pump fit through the fill point of the jerry can, its getting a bit much for me to be lifting the jerry can to the filler point on the mh.

Jim
:Smile:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I use one of these, the spout fits in the standard water filler.

Attachments

• WC20.jpg
    WC20.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 13

mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
How many people carry there own hose pipe for filling up there tank when on CL's. Interested to know if one should be supplied or not.
I carry a short length about 6' but its not allways long enough depending on where the tap is. Not normaly a problem cos I generally fill up from home before we go.
I have three lengths of hose on the van all the time. Each one is about 15' and each one has a different connector on it as some campsites have different connectors on their taps. A bit of a pain really but it means I don't have to fiddle about changing fittings on site. Mel.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
How does this work Graham, does the pump fit through the fill point of the jerry can, its getting a bit much for me to be lifting the jerry can to the filler point on the mh.

Jim
:Smile:

Yes Jim, you got it. The fill point is about 2 inches or so diameter and the pump body is an inch or so diameter. The pump body has a neck onto which a short length of hose (about 2 metres) is pushed. Pump into can, other end of hose into tank filler, plug into 12v socket and away you go.

Our van has the socket fitted onto the side but it can also be done by plugging into an "indoor" socket with the right length cable/plug.

I have a lightweight trolley for transporting the full jerry can - also used for transporting full grey jerry can & loo cassette to dump points if need be.

Graham

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Yes Jim, you got it. The fill point is about 2 inches or so diameter and the pump body is an inch or so diameter. The pump body has a neck onto which a short length of hose (about 2 metres) is pushed. Pump into can, other end of hose into tank filler, plug into 12v socket and away you go.

Our van has the socket fitted onto the side but it can also be done by plugging into an "indoor" socket with the right length cable/plug.

I have a lightweight trolley for transporting the full jerry can - also used for transporting full grey jerry can & loo cassette to dump points if need be.

Graham

Spot on Graham, I have 110 Volt sockets on the outside of the van but I dont know whether they work or not, I ve never needed to use them. Anyhow I can plug into 230V inside.
Know to find a pump.

Jim
:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Back to OP queston - I wouldnt supply a fitted hose, as the next thing is it would be being used to rinse out some unthinking persons cassette. Seen it happen a few times.

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Spot on Graham, I have 110 Volt sockets on the outside of the van but I dont know whether they work or not, I ve never needed to use them. Anyhow I can plug into 230V inside.
Know to find a pump.

Jim
:thumb:

12V (as per post responded to) would be somewhat safer. :thumb:

I think most systems fitted as original rely on the Whale Submersible pump. (but I haven't got one, so I could quite easily be wrong) :Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
12V (as per post responded to) would be somewhat safer. :thumb:

I think most systems fitted as original rely on the Whale Submersible pump. (but I haven't got one, so I could quite easily be wrong) :Sad:

Yes, I think 12v might be safer - especially for a 12v pump ::bigsmile:

I don't know what make our pump is but it is similar to Link Removed on eBay.

Graham

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
I try NOT to carry any unecessary weight, so a 2m lenght of hose, various connectors and a 10litre plastic container is all I need.
Our 20m hose might be used at home, if we are only going rallying at a nearby location, otherwise I don't normally carry it.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
1 x 2mtr 1 x 10mtr, 1x50mtr and a box of adapters/connectors plus 2 gall watering can. I would NEVER use one supplied, as Chatter said they get used inside cassettes, disgusting habit.
Beside why whould a CL provide a hose?

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Well thats sorted then we thought people may expect it. We have a dedicated hose near the cdp for the purpose so sounds like were ok. many thanks for the replys

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
1 x 2mtr 1 x 10mtr, 1x50mtr and a box of adapters/connectors plus 2 gall watering can. I would NEVER use one supplied, as Chatter said they get used inside cassettes, disgusting habit.
Beside why whould a CL provide a hose?

Totally agree - we carry a 15m layflat + 20m cassett and a 10 metre length of layflat if we are on a site that gives a permanent hookup as for using one provided - not a chance

Happy Hippy

Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
Because I would never pay for parking I don't use CL's or any other paying sites, therefore have no need to carry a hose to fill up from their taps. I fill up instead at petrol stations where water is provided free on a stretchy hose, so all I have to do is put the nozzle in the filler hole and squeeze the trigger until my tank is full :Smile: Much easier than filling from a tap, in which case I would have to fill plastic container and then lift the full, and therefore heavy, container up to shoulder height to pour it in.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
forget the hose .last winter we did 7 weeks without turning on a tap. caught rainwater coming off the roof .and that was on the algarve. get one of those big black flexy buckets see them every where abroad. do see them here sometimes yellow in builders merchants . hope its better this year. got webbed feet last year. cheers alan.

coolasluck

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
We have a 20ft length of hose with push fit an assortment of connectors.
I have found that i hardly use them though because we have 3x 5 gallon plastic drums which i got from my chineese freind,they are water tight and i fill these and then turn them upside down and let them drain into the tank which is under one of our bench seats.
We keep 2 of these on board.
Always good to be propared,with all options::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i wouldnt even use the tap adaptor if one was fitted never mind a hose.

how many hands will have 'played' with that adaptor.....and what were they doing with their hands beforehand. :Eeek:

also worth carrying a small 'trigger' bottle of disinfectant spray and give the tap a quick dosing before use.

and on top of all this, i have a General ecology filter in the cold water system which will remove virus's and bacteria.

dont know why i bother really as i can eat and drink almost anything without stomach upsets.:RollEyes:

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
evening all ,

watering can, good for the exercise.

georgio

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries