Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Two years
Looking for some advice really, we currently have an Auto-Trail with the 2.8 JTD engine (2004) and are looking at maybe upgrading to a newer one (2008) but it has the 2.3 Multijet engine.

I have been told that they are as good as but other people have said they just dont have the power but we have noticed that most the newer MH's seem to have them in?

Does anybody have any opinions please.:Smile:

Last edited:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
what about reverse gear ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sneezles

Sneezles

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Two years
Dave - I wondered about the bhp, found the 2.3 one but couldnt find the 2.8 one.:Smile:

Lebesset - Hmm, have heard about reverse judder, not good then?:Sad:

Wireman - Don't think it is the "Power" version, not that I know of anyway.:Doh:

Geo - Hopefully does have a reverse gear, not too good at pushing!!:ROFLMAO:

So, can we have a vote on it then, 2.3 yay or nay or stick with the 2.8 and save some money!::bigsmile:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I think the 'power' version is having it re mapped because it's supposedly not up to the job in standard trim. I managed away with 2.5 naturally aspirated and 2 litre petrols in the past and they were fine for 'holiday' cruising.

mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I have a 2.8 JTD and don't have a problem with it. Acceleration is fine, hardly any difference between laden or unladen,no problem with reverse, doesn't like long inclines much but other than that I like it.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
from talking to others I wouldn't buy one of these [ ie the current model ] used unless fiat had installed the new gearing under guarantee ; of course , if you are buying new the changes have been made I would hope

if the work has been done , absolutely no problem that I have been told about , but if it hasn't the value of the vehicle is reduced , I'm told it costs fiat over ÂŁ1,000 to modify the vehicle , which would be at least ÂŁ3,000 if you had to pay yourself

anyway , look at the lengthy thread on this forum

OP
OP
Sneezles

Sneezles

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Two years
Derek - We only do holiday cruising and now too far either!!:Smile:

Mejulie - We already have the 2.8 JTD and are happy with it but the one newer one we are looking at has the 2.3 multijet in it.:Smile:

Lebesset - The one we are looking at still has nearly a year Manufacturers warranty so maybe covered for the modification? - Or not maybe?? :Smile:

:thanks: for the replies, please keep them coming!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have the 130 multijet 2.3 Fiat and its the 20101 model and yes they have been sorted out, Tez says it drives like a dream with no reverse judder so all is ok, we worried a bit even with the salesman telling us all has been sorted as they dont all tell the truth but this engine drives and holds the road marvelously he says, I havent driven it yet as it is a bit daunting to me being quite big it is 23 feet long but Tez being an ex truck driver holds no fear for him and he absolutely loves the cruise control!!! and Susie our yorkie loves the air conditioning by the way!!

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
sneezles , ask to see the paperwork for the fiat modifications to the gearbox , new clutch etc
try reversing the vehicle up a nice steep hill to see what you think ; I think the chassis guarantee is 3 years from fiat ,but best check!!!

if it hasn't been done make it a condition of purchase , fiat will try and fob you off as all vehicle manufacturers do !

no paperwork for the mods and it will probably cost you real money when they day comes to trade it in!

OP
OP
Sneezles

Sneezles

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Two years
sneezles , ask to see the paperwork for the fiat modifications to the gearbox , new clutch etc
try reversing the vehicle up a nice steep hill to see what you think ; I think the chassis guarantee is 3 years from fiat ,but best check!!!

if it hasn't been done make it a condition of purchase , fiat will try and fob you off as all vehicle manufacturers do !

no paperwork for the mods and it will probably cost you real money when they day comes to trade it in!
Have asked the owners and they said it drives perfectly and didn't seem to know anything about a modification. It has just under a year warranty left, thanks for the advice how to try it as we haven't really got a clue! :Doh:
Am wondering now if our trusty one is worth keeping instead but the mention of cruise control, air con in the cab and the few extra gadgets on the Cheyenne gets hubby neeeeeeeding a newer one! What is it with men and gadgets - or shouldnt I ask :winky:

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
We have the 2.3 unit on our Hobby. Fine engine, seems to be powerful and quite torquey. Lets us buzz along at 80 on the continent, where allowed, and rarely needs 4th except on the steeper and longest of hills.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Have asked the owners and they said it drives perfectly and didn't seem to know anything about a modification. It has just under a year warranty left, thanks for the advice how to try it as we haven't really got a clue! :Doh:
Am wondering now if our trusty one is worth keeping instead but the mention of cruise control, air con in the cab and the few extra gadgets on the Cheyenne gets hubby neeeeeeeding a newer one! What is it with men and gadgets - or shouldnt I ask :winky:

:Eeek: Stay away!! Keep your present van until one that's guaranteed modded comes your way!!

Gandalf the Grey

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Funster No
And, folks,

If recent posts on the other (MMM) forum are anything to go by, don't place too much faith in the 'mods' either! I know that the most recent one concerns a 2010 autosleeper Nuevo (judders madly on grass) -- on a Peugeot base, but other reports name recent Fiat (2009) models also -- buyer beware! -- as usual

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ours is on the 2.3 Multijet we are always at 3500kg limit, certainly not lacking in performance, flys along, with out the cruise control on very easy to find yourself way over the legal limit. Acceleration & top speed more than adequate.

Reverse judder has not been a problem for us, only seems to effect some vans. We still had the mods done just to get a lower reverse gear, still very high.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you've got a van that suits your needs and are only really changing for the sake of it, then keep what you have. You can get cruise control fitted (we did) and it works just as well as the original stuff installed by Fiat. Cab air-con - ask yourself how much you will really used it.

The supposed 'fix' unfortunately in some instances doesn't work, for some it does appear to work but only time will tell if there is any damage still (especially to the clutch which is not normally covered under the warranty), and for some the fix can actually make things a lot worse!

There are at least 6 very LONG threads on the MMM website (www.outandaboutlive.co.uk) and if you are seriously considering changing to a newer van on the X2/50 base vehicle, take the time to read them, they will give you an idea of what can go wrong and you can then make an educated decision as to whether you want to take the risk or not. In the end it has to be up to you but only once you're fully in the picture.

We changed our van just over a month ago now, staying well clear of Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen based motorhomes and went for a lovely Ford which goes beautifully.::bigsmile:

alan1949

Free Member
Sep 11, 2009
Funster No
IVE GOT NEW 3litre JTD GOES LIKE- - - -OF A SHOVEL. NO WORRIES MATEY.:thumb:

Canned Heat

Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Lancs ( at the moment )
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
0 yet :))
Just took my new Delaware 2.3 multijet down to Cornwall, ran like a dream, can't fault it, reverse is fine ( no judder ). No room at the inn at Marazion along the sea wall on tuesday, full of motorhomes ::bigsmile:. Ended up being sandwiched between two German motorhomers on the pay car park, but i held my own:Eeek:.
Gotta go, kettles whistling.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have 2008 2.3 X250 and she flies, also had reverse mods done and she's a lot better on reversing. We are very happy with ours and very economical on fuel too.

John.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi we have the new Fiat 2.3 it goes like a whizz, up hill and down good road holding due to the wider track, no reverse judder as yet but if we get it ,it will go into Fiat to be sorted, overall its a fine motor. Pete:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Sneezles

Sneezles

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Two years
I must admit the reverse judder thing has put me off:Sad:
We were going to view it tomorrow but not going to now, the fact is is a 2008 and not 2009/10 bothers me as it seems to be in the midst of all the problem ones.

The one we have seems reliable, we just fancied upgrading to the newer shape but seems the newer shape also has the newer problems!:cry:

Thanks so much everybody for all your replies, it has been most enlightening:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back