Fiat 2.8jtd intermittent fuel injector light (1 Viewer)

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I have noticed for a month or so that the fuel injector light comes on occassionally. I read in the manual this happens and to carry on driving.

This morning it came on and came on several times very briefly.

I seems to happen when I am hardly touching the accelarator or going light on the accelarator( e.g engine braking in 4th @ 30 mph) but has occured in 2nd and 3rd gear. The engine noticeably loses power but it doesn't cut out / stall. But when I put the foot back on the accelarator it does response and the light does go out.

Its fine and dandy in 5th cruising. The van drives well and seems to be ok except for this issue?

I have had a look on fiat forum and other forums and it seems to cover a multitude of sins. Dodgy earth, bad connect, ecu, injectors.

I wonder has anybody else had this issue and more to the point is there a common denominator.

Hope its a cheap fix...stitch in time and all that.

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Hi, there was a thread running recently on another forum covering exactly this. I believe the solution was to fiddle with the electrical connections to the injectors - this was exactly what a Knaus owner, with the 2.8jtd, had told me when we met last year. He had the same issue and this cured it.

So the fix may well be free.:Smile:

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It all seems to point to a connection and it may well be @ the injection sytem, But equally there are forums\threads point to the throttle management\linkage and ECU etc.

I want to avoid going to FIAT for them to charge me £100 plus for the routine diagnostics are blindly tell me its the ECU and swap out only to find it does resolve it.

Dave

Hi, there was a thread running recently on another forum covering exactly this. I believe the solution was to fiddle with the electrical connections to the injectors - this was exactly what a Knaus owner, with the 2.8jtd, had told me when we met last year. He had the same issue and this cured it.

So the fix may well be free.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I had the light on & loss of power, but this was while in 5 th (& other gears), and once on it stayed on.
Mines a 2004 Hymer 614 with Fiat 2.8 JTD.
I fiddled with the injector wires and it was then ok, for a while.
I got in touch with Taylors Garage at Clifton (nr Preston) who do a bit of work for Hymer UK.
They've come across this problem a few times.
They changed all the injector cables (although only No 4 was affected, I wanted them all done) for £120.
I told a friend of mine about this and he said he had exactly the same problem and it was repaired at Taylors but I didn't know 'till afterwards.
I've done Spain and back, and about 4000 mls since without any probs.

Also had the cam belt changed at Taylors 2 weeks ago, £170.

regards
Allen

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
It seems the injector cables are a common issue and clearly my symptoms seem to match yours.

I'll think I take it out for a run tonight and see if the fault comes up, and if have a fiddle with those connections.

Dave

I had the light on & loss of power, but this was while in 5 th (& other gears), and once on it stayed on.
Mines a 2004 Hymer 614 with Fiat 2.8 JTD.
I fiddled with the injector wires and it was then ok, for a while.
I got in touch with Taylors Garage at Clifton (nr Preston) who do a bit of work for Hymer UK.
They've come across this problem a few times.
They changed all the injector cables (although only No 4 was affected, I wanted them all done) for £120.
I told a friend of mine about this and he said he had exactly the same problem and it was repaired at Taylors but I didn't know 'till afterwards.
I've done Spain and back, and about 4000 mls since without any probs.

Also had the cam belt changed at Taylors 2 weeks ago, £170.

regards
Allen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back