Broken door hinge - advice please (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our habitation door (combination of door and flyscreen which can be shut completely or just have the flyscreen shut) is held onto the vehicle body by three hinges (as shown in the first photo) each of which has five pieces. On each hinge the top, middle and bottom pieces are riveted onto the van body, the second down is screwed to the flyscreen and the fourth down is screwed to the door. I assume a pin goes through all five sections to hold them all together.

As we were leaving to come home today from our weekend away the door wouldn't shut and I discovered the reason was that the section fastened to the door on the lower of the three hinges had broken. The second picture shows it (marked HERE) after I had removed the two screws holding the broken off bit from the door.

It appears that a build up of muck/lack of oil had caused the piece to seize up and it has snapped when closing just the flyscreen and not the full door.

Two questions:
1) Are the hinge pieces easily obtainable and, if so, where from?
2) How can I release the pin in order to fit a replacement hinge piece once obtained?

Graham

Attachments

• correct.jpg
    correct.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 297
  • broken.jpg
    broken.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 312
OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Terry, found them there. I also did a general search and found them at Link Removed a fair bit cheaper.

Having never done anything with rivets I assume it's just a matter of drilling out the old rivets and attaching with new rivets. Looks like I'll have to buy a pop rivet gun as well as the hinge :Smile:

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Graham just get a big drill bit and drill the head off - not all way through - then you can either use rivets or self tappers :thumb:
terry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
When putting the new one back together, get some silicone grease and apply a thin layer to the pins. THAT IS ALL!

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks again Terry. Just about to ring up and order - make sure I get the one that opens the correct way :Smile:

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Graham

invest in a decent pop rivet gun .. sooo useful around the van, better than self tappers which invariably work loose or you over-tighten and end up stripping the hole and they fall out .. :Doh:

sorry for going off topic .. but while I have your undivided attention, :roflmto:

I was looking for family tree software that can print out the whole tree .. mine is hosted on Tribal Pages, I can download the GED file and pdf.s of individual branches of ancestors or descendants but can't do a whole tree .. is there such a beast ?

cheers

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
graham, after a while you will wonderhow you got through life with out a pop riveter. useful for all sorts of repairs even putting press studs on .repairing belts buckles ,they even work well in wood or plastic . ifworking on the van get pealing rivets they peal like a star behind and spread the load.
have fun you will be looking for jobs to play with soon. cheers alan.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Alan. I've often looked at pop rivetters and never bought one because I've never found a use before. Looks like I've missed out on a whole lot of fun in life ::bigsmile:

Graham

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
Cheap pop rivet guns are not up to the big sized rivets, you have to pay a bit (lot) more for one to do a proper job.

Your local caravan / moterhome/ body repair workshop will have one and the right rivets to do it.

It might work out a lot cheaper than buying a proper gun that you will only use once?

Hallii

william peat

Free Member
Nov 11, 2009
Funster No
door hinge

Our habitation door (combination of door and flyscreen which can be shut completely or just have the flyscreen shut) is held onto the vehicle body by three hinges (as shown in the first photo) each of which has five pieces. On each hinge the top, middle and bottom pieces are riveted onto the van body, the second down is screwed to the flyscreen and the fourth down is screwed to the door. I assume a pin goes through all five sections to hold them all together.

As we were leaving to come home today from our weekend away the door wouldn't shut and I discovered the reason was that the section fastened to the door on the lower of the three hinges had broken. The second picture shows it (marked HERE) after I had removed the two screws holding the broken off bit from the door.

It appears that a build up of muck/lack of oil had caused the piece to seize up and it has snapped when closing just the flyscreen and not the full door.

Two questions:
1) Are the hinge pieces easily obtainable and, if so, where from?
2) How can I release the pin in order to fit a replacement hinge piece once obtained?

Graham

hi not sure if your hinge is of an elddis but if so i had the same trouble the door hinge seized up i bought another fo £20.00. drill out the rivets and use screws.

william

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Cheap pop rivet guns are not up to the big sized rivets, you have to pay a bit (lot) more for one to do a proper job.
Your local caravan / moterhome/ body repair workshop will have one and the right rivets to do it.
It might work out a lot cheaper than buying a proper gun that you will only use once?
Hallii

As it happens the van is having its mechanical service at the moment. Just been speaking to Paul, the mechanic, and he says he'll lend me a gun if I need one :Smile:

hi not sure if your hinge is of an elddis but if so i had the same trouble the door hinge seized up i bought another fo £20.00. drill out the rivets and use screws.

william

Thanks William. Yes, it is an Elddis. I've read somewhere else that, as the hinge disassembles, someone was able to just replace the broken part without removing the whole lot. I've ordered the hinge so I'll see what options I have when it arrives.

Graham

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well, after due consideration - and a good day at Sunderland History Fair yesterday :Smile: - I felt I simply couldn't miss out on all the good times promised by Alan.

So, off we go this morning to the local branch of Machine Mart. Disappointing at first because being mindful of Jim's advice "invest in a decent pop rivet gun" my first thoughts obviously turned to Blackspur or, at a pinch, Draper - and Machine Mart had nary a one of those makes :Sad:

No matter though, talked to a very helpful salesman and explained my total ignorance of all things rivet gun and what I needed it for and he sorted me out - which means I am now the proud owner of a Stanley MR77. I thought, well, why not go for the best they had - and Shiftzz would love the shade of yellow, which is a great match for the car he's lusting after ::bigsmile:

The biggest guess was the size of rivets needed but the salesman was again very helpful, lending his experience to my ignorance with guidance on the likely size needed. Just to be on the safe side I bought a couple of packets of rivets, 11mm and 16mm - they're cheap enough and I'd rather have them in than have to go back.

Only cloud on the horizon (literally) is that it's been raining ever since we left the shop so I haven't been able to do the job - and I can't even find anything wot's broke to have a play :Sad: Never mind though, got a busy few days coming up but it will be something to look forward to if I can't get it done until later in the week ::bigsmile:

Graham

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Seized hinges

We had a similar experience with our 1998 BESSACARR and were told by Swift that no replacements were available so of we went and trawled round the various dealers (Brownhills, Swindon, they do have their uses!) until we found a current make and model that were using the same hinge, we then e.mailed Eldiss and they told me who the local dealer was and the price (£24 for all 3).

We ordered them and they duly arrived after about 21 days. We then fitted them by drilling out the existing rivets and fitting new ones with a decent pop rivet gun. Placed some silicon around the fittings when we fitted to ensure the chance of damp creeping in was greatly reduced. Also put some WD40 on the actual Hinge Pin.

The reason for our hinge breaking was the door caught a gust of wind, slammed shut and the hinges actually twisted slightly which, over a period of time, snapped one of them.

Hope this is useful for anyone in the same position.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks. Very useful.

The cause of the part on our van breaking seems to be muck and not realising that more attention to lubrication is needed. Of the five sections this is the one which is fitted tight to the hinge pin, the other four sections each having a plastic sleeve by the looks which allows them to move on the pin.

I''ll certainly use some silicon and make sure the need for lubrication is checked regularly.

Graham

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well, rain stopped this morning so out I went to do the job. Hardest bit was drilling out the old rivets to get the old hinge off. New one went on pretty easily.

Even more importantly Jill reckons it's a nice, neat job - and for the first time since we bought the van 4 years ago the hab door doesn't creak when opened and closed ::bigsmile:

That rivet gun is a pretty good piece of kit - though I'm glad I had a practice with a bit of scrap before using it in "anger". I'll be looking constantly now for all those uses that Alan promised it would have ::bigsmile:

Many thanks once again to all who helped with advice.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back