Dunoon (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi,Anybody got any recommendations for a campsite at or near Dunoon ?.Thanks.

Sorry no camp sites but brought back some memories of our first trip to Dunoon. We were driving along the coast road toward Greenock terrible night lashing it down pitch black along with a sea mist. Couldn’t see the end of the bonnet. It was late so we decided to stop in a car park alongside the water. Shut our eyes about midnight in a deserted parking area. Next thing we knew was this man in oilskins and a hood knocking on the window shouting move up you are blocking the way. Looked out there were cars everywhere only option was to board the ferry, to where we had no idea but we passed some money out of the gap in the window had no idea what this soaking wet man was saying and ended up in Dunoon.The kids woke up in the morning without a clue of what had gone on during the night.:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
15 miles up the road to a place called GLENDARUEL lovely, quiet and piecefull campsite, in the glen nestling between the hills. go up the A885 turn left at B836, thru Glen Lean, Loch Tarzan, a dam for the hydro, should on your right, past Loch Striven, where they used to pactice during the last war for the dam busters, up the hill, see some lovely views, keep going, turn right onto A886 about 2 miles past Clachen of Glendaruel, campsite on the left:Smile:if you go there tell Annie, the owner that Gramps brother, Ray sent you.:Smile:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Link Removed gives you some site names.

I love Dunoon and I am fortunate that my aunts and cousins live there overlooking Holy Loch ( Sandbank ) so get to stay at theirs. Might even stay in their car park opposite their house which the residents bought to stop the council building on it and taking their view, should we ever take the Motorhome up there that is. My cousin owns the £1 shop in Dunoon and various others around the area. Last year when we visited Dunoon it was to scatter my mums ashes on Holy Loch. Emily and I went across on the ferry and got talking to a regular delivery man so the conductor walked straight past us thinking we were all together, when we were leaving Dunoon I think they assumed we had got out of a car so again they didnt ask for any money ::bigsmile:

Its a beautiful area to visit and I hope you find a site suitable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barbt

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
KENT
Funster No
Exp
two
Hi,

Anybody got any recommendations for a campsite at or near Dunoon ?.

YES! Dunoon is our favourite place. Follow the road out of town ( keeping the water on your left) Drive through Inellan and just keep going, you will see Toward lighthourse next. Still keeping the water on your left just follow the road, it eventually ( about 10 miles ) goes alongside Loch Striven. Follow through and you will see some big military ships moored, just drive through the Oil terminal, and then if you look towards your left you will see BRACKLEY POINT - it sort of sticks out towards the water. Shortly after the Old School House ( it's on the map ) look for a gap in the hedge and there you are. It's perfectly safe to drive down - we've done it plenty of times. You can get right down by the water but if it's been raining you could get stuck - there is plenty of room to park up, have a camp fire etc at the top end though. The whole journey is about 15 miles from Dunoon. Take plenty of water with you there's none there. There is also a car park just beside the Toward yacht club where you can park if you prefer. There is a Forestry Commission car park before that but I just can't remember the name! Brackley Point is a great place to camp - we'll be there at the end of July. Plenty of fishing, lots of wildlife to watch, and best of alll - perfect peace!

OP
OP
Supertractorman

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Came to Dunoon and tried Cot House Park and the man in reception was very abrupt saying not worth coming here as we are booked up for the next 18 months. Asked him where else to try and he said there is one along the road but they will be full also.
Pulled into Invereck Campsite and told no problem staying here except when the Cowal Games are on. Nice little site although toilets very basic. Good washing machine and dryer plus free use of outside whirligig dryer. Best thing is £11 per night with electric and if you stay for 7 days you only pay for 6. Newspaper delivered to your van every morning, now thats good service. Can recommend.:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back