dawlish warren (1 Viewer)

creamcake

Free Member
Jan 8, 2010
chudleigh devon
Funster No
MH
ldv conversion
hi,just to let you know we pulling into dawlish warren car park on saturday morning and were given a flyier by the security patrol stating no overnighting is allowed. we are local to dawlish and have not heard anything from teighnbridge council or the tourist info centre who we contacted last week.
regards creamcake

Ferend

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Funster No
hi,just to let you know we pulling into dawlish warren car park on saturday morning and were given a flyier by the security patrol stating no overnighting is allowed. we are local to dawlish and have not heard anything from teighnbridge council or the tourist info centre who we contacted last week.
regards creamcake
The Teignbridge DC website has this:

"The Council had recently agreed to further extend Dawlish Warren Landward car park as a location for overnight parking for motor homes. The use of this area for overnight stays for motor home users has proven to be particularly popular and the council has decided to apply for the necessary formal consent to move to a permanent arrangement. Regrettably, existing legal exemptions available to the council do not permit the continued use of this land for the overnight stays without the necessary consent and therefore there can be no further overnight stays until further notice. Should we be successful in obtaining consent, our website at www.teignbridge.gov.uk will be updated and use can recommence. If you have any enquiries, please contact Parking Services at: 01626 215859 or email parking.services@teignbridge.gov.uk"

From what I've heard previously from the Council, it may well be that there is a planning issue involved, I understand that the local planning dept had advised the Council that planning consent for a change of use would be required. Hopefully it will be sorted out quickly. If not, then there are implications for all such council approved motorhome stopovers.

Andy

subaru

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Funster No
What a shame,
this was a great stop and we always spent £30-£40 on a Sat night and without the parking for the motorhome i would never go there. I hope it does get sorted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ferend

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Funster No
I have now seen the advice given by the local planning dept. The problem is that, although a 'site licence' is not required, by virtue of the exemption allowed because the land is in the control of the local authority, this particular exemption does not confer 'permitted development rights', so planning permission is required.

Andy

aardvark

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
Funster No
Dawlish Warren car parking motorhomes

I have just emailed the council to say why on earth do they not charge for the car park overnight and make some money out of it, the locals would maybe not complain then .
We will not be going back again unless they back down on letting motror homes stay over night. We spend a lot of money over a weekend, so its there loss, but what a shame as its a great position to stay.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have just emailed the council to say why on earth do they not charge for the car park overnight and make some money out of it, the locals would maybe not complain then .
We will not be going back again unless they back down on letting motror homes stay over night. We spend a lot of money over a weekend, so its there loss, but what a shame as its a great position to stay.

It isn't a matter of simply charging, it's a matter of complying with planning law like everyone else. Local authorities can only do something if they have a duty or power conferred by legislation.

This is a council which is actually trying to provide facilities for motorhomes but it must do so within the law. Criticism such as this without knowledge of the constraints which LAs work under does nobody any good.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
It isn't a matter of simply charging, it's a matter of complying with planning law like everyone else. Local authorities can only do something if they have a duty or power conferred by legislation.

This is a council which is actually trying to provide facilities for motorhomes but it must do so within the law. Criticism such as this without knowledge of the constraints which LAs work under does nobody any good.

Graham

Sorry but its not, it could'nt give a toss I live here & the other half & daughter work for them.
believe me. Teignbridge is the worst councill in the SW

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry but its not, it could'nt give a toss I live here & the other half & daughter work for them.
believe me. Teignbridge is the worst councill in the SW

I wouldn't wish to comment on Teignbridge generally as I don't have the knowledge to do so :Smile:

However, the notice on the Teignbridge Council web site says "The Council had recently agreed to further extend Dawlish Warren Landward car park as a location for overnight parking for motor homes." and goes on to note the legal complications.

That seems to be an indication that they are going to provide facilities - is that not the case?

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back