Hi Im New..any replies would be lovely.. (1 Viewer)

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
Hi everyone thanks for looking, well following a lot of soul searching and family discussions we have bit the bullet and bought a motor home, :winky: this has been an idea we have had for a while to bring some memories, quality time, and hopefuly stress free weekends/holidays into our lives.

Family consists of hubby, me, 2 children (16 + 3 years old) my mum, and a labrador puppy 16 weeks (i know we mad):winky: .

So the motor home, Budget agreed we set of on our quest , a few weekends later and armed with lots of fors, and againsts, bunk beds, lounge versions, fixed beds, island beds, we drew up what we really needed for now, and in 5 years time, and narrowed it down, 5 hours later, there it was an auto trail chieftain .... met the requirements, more than we expected to pay, but assured by hubby its a good deal. So now, we have to wait with anticipation for the day we take possession which is rather daughting as we have never owned one before, :Eeek: :Eeek::Eeek: so im looking to you fellow motorhomers, for any small perals of wisdom, and guidance we will need, and any information you think we may require to see us through this early learning period.. what are the essentials we will need.

If all this fails, this will have been an expensive second home for the husband....:whatthe: ::bigsmile: :winky: thanks and hope to hearing from anyone who is also new and anyone who has experience... and when we get the hang of it, i will repay you with hopefully a cup of tea and a slice of cake if you ever in the north east...

Thanks Dee

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
hi, and welcome to the fun. If you ave any questions about anything to do with m/homes this is the place to ask! -no question too silly or daft- we've all started without much knowledge, and can all learn something. Hope you have many enjoyable trips in your m/home, a good choice by the way!.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi Dee and family

Dont be disheartened if you dont get too many replies many funsters are away at various meets and may not be on line.

Welcome to motorhome fun.

Theres loads of information on here so have a look through the various threads postings and forums and use the search facility too.

Jim our ringleader sells some helpful books too.

Dont forget to look on the right hand side of the home page and browse the various meets we have throughout the year, come join us when you get your motorhome.

Good Luck xxxx

OP
OP
Tommy_harry

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
hi, and welcome to the fun. If you ave any questions about anything to do with m/homes this is the place to ask! -no question too silly or daft- we've all started without much knowledge, and can all learn something. Hope you have many enjoyable trips in your m/home, a good choice by the way!.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Thanks Dave for your reply ... I would love to take the credit but husband was just mesmerised by the motorhome (and the additional extras attached and included in the price), we had heard it was of good quality and has a good reputation. Im hoping it brings us lots of fun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Hi Dee and Family,Hope you enjoy your motorhome and anything you want to know ask away,the amount of knowledge on here is brill !!!!!!!!!!!!
Best site by far that I've found for friendliness and advice.

Enjoy :thumb:
regards,John P.

OP
OP
Tommy_harry

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
Welcome, just ask away the font of all knowledge resides here. :ROFLMAO:
Where abouts in the North East?:Smile:

Hi We are approxiamtely 10 miles from Durham, and cant wait we have bought the motorhome from down the country at a big dealership, so we cant have it for 10 days due to work comitments and getting it ready. it is a twin axle on the back and some people have said we may have problems getting on sites, with the length. It was a good size for all of us with been in each others pockets...:ROFLMAO:.

lallymc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
Exp
1 year
hello Dee

We are also in the North East and have 2 boys of 8 and 11 and a retriever who is 7

We started motorhoming ayear ago and love it, it took us a good few months to get into the swing of things so just go with the

I shall look out for you on the roads, keep us updated on how things are going

Welcome to the forum

Leanne

:Smile:

OP
OP
Tommy_harry

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
hello Dee

We are also in the North East and have 2 boys of 8 and 11 and a retriever who is 7

We started motorhoming ayear ago and love it, it took us a good few months to get into the swing of things so just go with the

I shall look out for you on the roads, keep us updated on how things are going

Welcome to the forum

Leanne

:Smile:

Hi leanne, thanks for reply we are looking forward to the arrival, im sure we will be on a steep learning curve but will get there.. i iwll keep you updated and like wise it would be nice to know any sites you could recommend for children pets and motherin laws...lol

lallymc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
Exp
1 year
lol oh yes i will do that

I have got a couple of favourite sites, but best so far has to be Springhill Farm in seahouses, kids loved it, fab walks for doggy into seahouses itself, took us about 20 mins, and fab views of the castle from site for mum, there is a small park on site and a working farm, there isnt a club house but we made our own entertainment.

We are off to Ripley in 2 weeks time, i havnt been there yet but my friend has, says its great, even has a small pool there, will let you know what that one is like:Smile:

Leanne :Smile::Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi We are approxiamtely 10 miles from Durham, and cant wait we have bought the motorhome from down the country at a big dealership, so we cant have it for 10 days due to work comitments and getting it ready. it is a twin axle on the back and some people have said we may have problems getting on sites, with the length. It was a good size for all of us with been in each others pockets...:ROFLMAO:.

hi and welcome.

i dont think you'll have much problem getting on sites.
you'll be around 28ft and many sites have a 30ft limit but not all.

essentials...start off with the basics...something to cook in, something to eat off, something to drink out of (very important when you start going to funsters meets :roflmto:), cork screw/bottle opener etc (most important :thumb:) then add to this as you go along and find things you wish you'd brought with you.
a gas kettle is a good idea too or a low wattage electric one, as your home kettle MAY trip the site electrics.

the first few outing will find you wanting something but eventually you'll get everything you need.

if you have problems or just cant work something on site just ask another motorhomer...most will help with pleasure.

most of all....enjoy your motorhome.

OP
OP
Tommy_harry

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
hi and welcome.

i dont think you'll have much problem getting on sites.
you'll be around 28ft and many sites have a 30ft limit but not all.

essentials...start off with the basics...something to cook in, something to eat off, something to drink out of (very important when you start going to funsters meets :roflmto:), cork screw/bottle opener etc (most important :thumb:) then add to this as you go along and find things you wish you'd brought with you.
a gas kettle is a good idea too or a low wattage electric one, as your home kettle MAY trip the site electrics.

the first few outing will find you wanting something but eventually you'll get everything you need.

if you have problems or just cant work something on site just ask another motorhomer...most will help with pleasure.

most of all....enjoy your motorhome.

Thanks for all the information you have supplied we are really looking forward to our new adventures and meeting people, cant beleive we have not done this earlier but better late than never. looking forward to sharing a bit of culture with the young one, and bonding a bit more with the bigger one as if you not a computer he is not sure how to communicate with you..lol

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
welcome ::bigsmile:
Motorhoming is great. Our only problem is we can't get away as often as we'd like.

Best of luck with yours & hope you have many many happy nights in it. :thumb:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Hi and WELCOME my only advice is use it as often as you can and ENJOY:thumb::thumb::thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
welcome to the fun:thumb::thumb:
if you can try a night in the motorhome on your driveway it will give you a taste of whats to come and if you find you need something its not too far away.
enjoy its great fun ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Hi and welcome to the fun.
I'm sure you won't regret your decision.

There are a friendlt group of people here, ask and you will get a miriad of answers.

One pearl of wisdom, hummm difficult. I guess the following covers it..

ALWAYS CARRY A SPARE CORK SCREW.

Cheers

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one essential is a hose pipe, or at the very least a watering can, to top up your fresh water tank.

hell of a job getting the vans filler hole under a tap :Doh::roflmto:

OP
OP
Tommy_harry

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
welcome to the fun:thumb::thumb:
if you can try a night in the motorhome on your driveway it will give you a taste of whats to come and if you find you need something its not too far away.
enjoy its great fun ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

thats a good idea however the MH is down the country we travelled down to see it, the dealer is arranging for us to pull on the site 200 yards up the road, for the weekend for us to try all the things out and then we can check any problems and go back to him at anytime for any further help or advice. cant wait already met some nice people on line.. thanks for your help much appreciated.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you'd like to put faces to members names you could look in the calender for meets.
everyone is welcome.

do as much or as little as you want....apart from the venue and date nothing is arranged or compulsory....apart for having fun and enjoying yourself that is.:thumb:

Link Removed

oakeyfamily

Free Member
Jan 16, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 months
Hi Dee and Family,

Welcome to the club but we are new also so in the same boat as you. We are over in America at the moment. Husband retired from Fire Service in April so we thought we would come over and buy one of the American RVs. Have done just that and picked it up only yesterday. Now in San Antonio. We, like you, paid a bit more than we set out to and I am wondering if we are totally mad. Enjoying it so far but we are soooo green to all this and this site is great to help get used to terminology, asking for help, learning by others, etc.

Have fun.

Stella and James

OP
OP
Tommy_harry

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
Hi Dee and Family,

Welcome to the club but we are new also so in the same boat as you. We are over in America at the moment. Husband retired from Fire Service in April so we thought we would come over and buy one of the American RVs. Have done just that and picked it up only yesterday. Now in San Antonio. We, like you, paid a bit more than we set out to and I am wondering if we are totally mad. Enjoying it so far but we are soooo green to all this and this site is great to help get used to terminology, asking for help, learning by others, etc.

Have fun.

Stella and James

How wonderful, you have bought an American RV they are absolutely lovely, my hubby was wanting one but i said with a 3 year old and puppy no way, Im so pleased for you, i keep pinching myself thinking this is crazy, but just cant wait to pick it up and go i have heard so much positive and helpful people on here. Im sure this is going ot be a learning curve, Husband is used to driving all kinds of vehicles I have no intention of any driving just passenger... have a lovely time keep me posted with your travels would be nice to hear how you getting on.

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
Welcome, and enjoy. My only regret is not getting our own van when the kids were younger. You'll soon figure out what you need vs what you think you need, and remember - you're never far from a shop so don't panic about taking everything you (think) need on your first few trips

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Welcome! We have recently moved from a big caravan to a motorhome and wouldnt go back. You may well find your 16 year old prefers a pup tent rather than sleep in with you. This worked well for us last year when our youngest was 16 as it gave her space. Now she is 17 she tends not to come with us at all as she works most weekends.

Have a complete set of everything kept in the motorhome - bedding, crockery etc - rather than taking the ones from the house. We have 2 duvets, different weights, and keep everyhing ready to roll - all we have to put in is food/clothes. This makes it a lot easier to go for weekends etc. We have to keep ours on storage so this may be a difference.

Caravan club sites state a length for each site, but they also advise you to ring and check.

have fun
claire:-}

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
hi guys, and welcome to your new life. I do hope you haven't got addictive personalities, because if you have your life is about to so so so change::bigsmile:

Come and meet us at one of the meets in the callender, well well worth it to get free advice. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back