TomTom 7000/Garmin/Snooper 7000? (1 Viewer)

PaulW

Free Member
May 29, 2010
South Bucks
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all,

I am new to the motorhoming game and am looking to buy a sat nav system that I can use in the UK and across Europe.

I've read some of the write ups/reviews of the truck/motorhome-oriented sat nav systems of the three manufacturers mentioned above.

My instinct is probably to go for the TomTom as i've used one before and they seem to be relatively bullet proof. I don't know the other two. The Snooper Ventura seems great in terms of features but there seem to have been quite a few reports of things not working as they should. Also, the download process (I'm not very techie about such things) seems potentially trickier?

The Snooper proposition is also partly based on it being pre-loaded with lots of campsite (and Aire?) information. It is however my understanding that this is quite easily downloaded onto a TomTom, at which point one would have equivalent maps and data on the two systems. Is my assumption correct?

I'd also be very grateful for any thoughts about the value of the 'truck' features of these systems - the ability to select width, height and length tolerances. Are the map databases and programmes such that this is a useful feature?

Clearly one could simply remain on the motorways (which I don't want to do) and never encounter a restriction. Do these systems work in such a way as to enable you to go off the motorways but still avoid narrow lanes and low bridges? If not, a cheaper, simpler (say) Tom Tom may be better?

Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences gratefully received.

Many thanks

Regards
Paul

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
IMHO the TomTom is the easiest to use.

However I have only used it and a Garmin. I am sure the Garmin would have been ok if I had bothered to learn how to use it!

With the TomTom I find the user interface practically idiot proof (as, indeed, it has to be for me)

I have also downloaded updates easily...

For me TomTom Rools... as do Kipor Generators, Gaslow bottles and ebay acquired gas filling adaptors fitted with non return valves.

JJ

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Paul

I have had a Garmin Streetpilot 2610 for around 6 years and used it in the usa and europe, never a problem. To move to a 3d display and other more up to date gizmos I have recently bought a Garmin nuvi 865 t , includes all europe mapping , speed cameras and main road limits and traffic updates / avoidance. Although no height width weight inputs I have not had any problems even with an RV. I always plan routes in parallel with the navigator to avoid any nasty surprises.
Personally I like Garmin, I think they are more an instrument than a toy.
Before you buy study features and facilities that will suit your needs, good luck

Larry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi PaulW

We have 4 sat navs between us.:Blush:

Erindoors has a TOMTom XL UK.

I have an Alpine DVD system in the MH ( new DVD to update software & mapping is £200:whatthe: ).
A Garmin Quest for walking & cycling ( 20 hours battery life but small screen ).
Have just bought a Garmin Nuvi 265W ( European mapping & bluetooth ) as I have been asked to take a van to northern Italy once every couple of months and the Quest isn't up to the job ( screen too small & old maps )

I chose the Garmin on price. It was £97. There is a newer model but reviews on Amazon show it has a tendency to switch off of it's own accord and it's £52 dearer. Found the one I'd bought available for £79 2 days later:Angry:

There's not much to choose between TomTom & Garmin in my experience but read reviews as they have both produced some duffuns.

OP
OP
P

PaulW

Free Member
May 29, 2010
South Bucks
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Larry and JJ.

JJ, do you have any difficuly getting the Gaslow bottles filled on the continent? And does having them create any difficulty with the channel crossing? I know Eurotunnel specifically ask about LPG though this presumaby refers primarily (or solely?) to the fuel used by the vehicle.

Paul

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi PaulW

We have 4 sat navs between us.:Blush:

Erindoors has a TOMTom XL UK.

I have an Alpine DVD system in the MH ( new DVD to update software & mapping is £200:whatthe: ).
A Garmin Quest for walking & cycling ( 20 hours battery life but small screen ).
Have just bought a Garmin Nuvi 265W ( European mapping & bluetooth ) as I have been asked to take a van to northern Italy once every couple of months and the Quest isn't up to the job ( screen too small & old maps )

I chose the Garmin on price. It was £97. There is a newer model but reviews on Amazon show it has a tendency to switch off of it's own accord and it's £52 dearer. Found the one I'd bought available for £79 2 days later:Angry:

There's not much to choose between TomTom & Garmin in my experience but read reviews as they have both produced some duffuns.

With 4 sat navs bet you never get lost :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
P

PaulW

Free Member
May 29, 2010
South Bucks
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Smifee.

The Garmin 456T is the one I was looking at as a comparator to the TomTom 7000 and the Snooper. It seems to be good and I also see that Halfords are selling it for about £ 100 less than the usual price. (Mind you, it's still more expensive than the non-trucking satnavs - maybe I can live without the height/width parameters.)

Paul

Feb 11, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
bought first motorhome 30 yrs ago
tomtom/ garmin

we are in france at the mo and have a garmin nuvi 700 series first time i have used one very user friendly no width or height restrictions but loads of options for fuel,hotels,mac-d and the like someone on site wanted to get to a friends house nr sarlat in the Dordogne but never had coordinates so i googled it and entered it was spot on can also use as hands free for mobile and for mp3 so they say but not tried yet. Got mine from satnaveasy.com at £137 well pleased with it tc

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
And does having them create any difficulty with the channel crossing? I know Eurotunnel specifically ask about LPG though this presumaby refers primarily (or solely?) to the fuel used by the vehicle.

Paul

We have Gaslow bottles and use the Eurotunnel, they just pull you over to one side to check that they are turned off. LPG restiction relates to LPG powered vehicles (theyare not permitted) you can carry I beleive 49kg of LPG.

Have not filed up with gas on the continent yet so have that to look forward to

Hope this helps

G

MisterED

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Sunny Aberdeenshire !
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 glorious years, previous 18 a Tugger!
Tom Tom

Hi Paul,

Had a Tom Tom 910 since they came out new several years ago at a cost of £500 :Eeek:.

Unit started to play up and had repaired :Angry: Waste of time.

Just bought a Recon 910 from Total PDA, under £100 :thumb::thumb:

As good as the old one and it gets a one year warranty.

Download all the POI from here and its the Mutts Nuts :ROFLMAO:

POI also for filling the Gaslow, just fitted this myself, spot on piece of kit and no probs with the Chunnel as booked for a 4 week france tour this summer:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Take Care
Terry

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
We have the Snooper and have had no problems. All the apps work perfectly.

We very often use the avoid motorway config and it works fine.

the height width config is a god send.

Rememer all the devices work, it is the user who mis-uses them that is at fault.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
hi
We spent 6 months away last winter and found finding and filling our gaslow very easy and cheap , france and Portugal were numerous but Spain were well spread out , it pays to be planning ahead for your next refill
wanderer

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Larry and JJ.

JJ, do you have any difficuly getting the Gaslow bottles filled on the continent? And does having them create any difficulty with the channel crossing? I know Eurotunnel specifically ask about LPG though this presumaby refers primarily (or solely?) to the fuel used by the vehicle.

Paul

you're correct paul, the LPG refers to road gas not bottled gas, but the bottles must be turned off when in the tunnel.
not sure about fixed cooking/heating gas tanks though.

the only difference i can think is road gas is taken from the bottom of the tank (liquid) whereas cooking/heating gas is taken from the top (vapour) and if a leak occures the liquid will pose more of a danger than vapour.
just my thoughts.

filling gaslows will be as easy as doing it in the uk but you will need european adaptors to fit the uk fitting.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
you're correct paul, the LPG refers to road gas not bottled gas, but the bottles must be turned off when in the tunnel.
not sure about fixed cooking/heating gas tanks though.

the only difference i can think is road gas is taken from the bottom of the tank (liquid) whereas cooking/heating gas is taken from the top (vapour) and if a leak occures the liquid will pose more of a danger than vapour.
just my thoughts.

filling gaslows will be as easy as doing it in the uk but you will need european adaptors to fit the uk fitting.

I think its because the engine gas cannot be shut off at the tank as bottles can so is a greater risk if feed pipes are ruptured.

coolasluck

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
I wonder if someone could do a poll on the best sat nav systems,that would prove an interesting one.:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back