Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
any ideas came home today plugged van in as normal nothing no sockets etc red light on fuse board on so power getting that far but control panel doesn't show plugged in sign all fuses OK major problem as was going away for few days :cry:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
rcd not tripped out has it
should have sockets if its getting to the fuse box.

OP
OP
Family Guy

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
no sockets rcds not tripped i have 2 rcds the 1 with the red light to show power comin in is lit but nothing else only that light

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i take it all was ok last time you were out in the mh
its not uncommon for the screws in the rcd's / breakers to work loose from the vibrations of travel.
or the only other thing i can think of is maybe the rcd itself has failed and is showing to be switched on but really isn't

OP
OP
Family Guy

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
:cry:been on it all day cant get hold of any one to get it sorted till next wk first long weekend for a long time sods law have a fresh look tomorrow:cry:

Simannjo

Free Member
Apr 18, 2009
Nottingham.
Funster No
Hi Family Guy,

A few things to consider...

Does the RCD trip if the test button is pressed?
Can the RCD / Breakers be operated up and down? (Sometimes a tripped breaker stays half way and gives the impression it's up)

You say 2 RCD's? Do they both have test buttons? Only an RCD will have a test button whereas a breaker wont. (A photo would be invaluable)

Check the source of power, can you get something independent fom MH to work from it?

Check the Hook-up cable terminals, a broken neutral connection might be enough to put the light on but no power overall...

Hope it helps,

Simannjo

OP
OP
Family Guy

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
took a woman to get it right wont live this down :Doh:
all day shes been at me r u sure its not the lead r u sure its not the lead !
of course not you silly woman what do you know ive got a red light that says ive got power
guess what sat here trying to work out what it could be thought ill make new lead up
hay presto everything works a lot of humble pie me thinks sorry dear:Blush:
now just got to sort out were all these screws came from:thumb:
thanks again eddie see you at stratford

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well I am glad that is sorted. However this thread has raised another issue. The motorhome is self contained, personally I have never had a hookup other than at a show last year. Leisure batteries power everything. so why do you need that umbilcal? It just causes a massive tie to sites and ensures you are surrounded by hundreds of howling kids. What happened to the peace and quiet.
hardhathardhathardhat incoming, hee hee

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
well I am glad that is sorted. However this thread has raised another issue. The motorhome is self contained, personally I have never had a hookup other than at a show last year. Leisure batteries power everything. so why do you need that umbilcal? It just causes a massive tie to sites and ensures you are surrounded by hundreds of howling kids. What happened to the peace and quiet.
hardhat incoming, hee hee

Hi Roger from another Devonite, I'm a complete novice only had the MH a few weeks,
you say you just run off the leisure batteries, how do you keep up with keeping it charged?
I have a couple of grandkids I want to take out a few times.
Because there kids they would want, TV etc, lights of an evening.
Do you you have a genie?:Eeek:. Or do you go to bed before its dark:roflmto:
Any help appreciated, oh I'm not from Tiverton by the way:RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hardhathardhathardhat incoming, hee hee

Not tied roger.....given a choice is the term i'd use.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Doddy, no magical genie Roger will have a large bank of l/batts and solar panels to keep everything charged.
You can however help your position by adding a extra l/b very cheaply :thumb: this will probably give you 3/4 days where you will not need hook up. This is only trial and error and will need experimentation to see how long you last :thumb: Lots of people pay for panels, gennies etc, that they think they need but in actual fact they don't :ROFLMAO: See how long you last without hook up then spend accordingly :thumb:At worst you will have no telly for a night at best prrobbaly save a grand by not buying what you do not need rather than want :ROFLMAO:
terry

kennygd

Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
:Smile:I have never used the liesure batteries and I have been full timing for three months but I would like to, I am a bit confused, to use the leisure batteries correct me if I am wrong but I need kettle 12v and TV 12v, I have an Arapaho and I have quite a few 3 pin sockets and only one round accessory socket in the rear lounge, do I plug the things in as normal to use the liesure batteries ?:thumb:
Thanks kennygd

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi kennygdm from what you say you are always on hook up ? The l /batts will come into play when you are not hooked up.
12v tv is desirable but a £20 150w inverter will power a normal tv and a £5 gas kettle will work instead of the 240v one :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
Cheers Terry very helpful.
When you say get another LBat my one is under the drivers seat, would
this need moving to another location to link up with another one? :Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Running without hookup can be achieved in a number of ways. 1) move every day so the leisure batteries get a chance to charge, 2) increase the number and size of batteries. 3) Use solar panels to charge batteries 4)Use a genny.

Organise yourself. change all 12v lights to LED's and only use minimum amount of lights, you don't need all lights blazing.
Don't heat water with electric, use only gas. a small 240V 150W inverter will run the TV, sat receiver, etc if you don't have 12V ones, it will also be handy to charge batteries. Charge the lappy whilst driving and use on Battery when parked.
We never use hookup we used to manage 3 week holidays moving every day with a pair of leisure batteries and 50W solar panel, unlimited 7" B/W TV. Now we have 2 x 80W solar panels, 4 x 110 amp/hr batteries and a 14 colour- LCD TV which we can use 7 hrs a day whilst parked up. I no longer carry a genny as I never ever used it so even less chance now. I am even debating as to why I carry a hookup lead. Never use it. and apart from the TV/Sat tuner have no 240V appliances on board. Fridge and cooker are gas. when away we never have to worry about where we are going to stop or get electric hookup from we are self contained. There are lots of solar powered lights, battery and phone chargers and none of them expensive. Just keep your eyes open. Kids don't need electronic gadgets we never had them as kids and still enjoyed ourselves. Kids today are taught the significance of "Green" living at school, time to put it into practice, break out the tennis, boule, golf, metal detectors, binoculars etc. None of which need mains power. Happy wilding.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Cheers Terry very helpful.
When you say get another LBat my one is under the drivers seat, would
this need moving to another location to link up with another one? :Doh:
You can link up another to it keeping the cables as short as possible or move to where-ever you can fit the 2 together-- use thick cable to minimise any power loss
terry

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
glad u got it sorted.
and it was nothing too serious. :Doh: