Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
In Wales it's quite common for public signs to be in both English and Welsh, indeed most of the Welsh words I know are from such signs, so for example I know that araf means slow, and ysgol means school. This particular sign though is bilingual in a differnt way that kind of appeals to me :Smile:
Travel_Silly_Signs__358532a.jpg

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
The doggy one was great, many thanks, but there's a serious point.

I'll bet any money there is not one person in Wales who does not read English - no, remembering the first Prince of Wales, no literate person in Wales. The same in Scotland, and probably the same in Northern Ireland, though I can't speak from experience.

How many billions have been wasted in producing every scrap of paper and every sign in two languages, and paid for by English taxpayers? And just to satisy the egos of a very few self-important people. I think that such signes should be funded solely from the council tax, or whatever it is called, levied on private housing. That would soon bring a stop to it.

OP
OP
Happy Hippy

Happy Hippy

Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
But how would I learn Welsh if the signs were all in English? :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
There is one sign in Wales that you will never see in Welsh. The one in bed and breakfasts that reads VACANCIES. :roflmto: VMax

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
The doggy one was great, many thanks, but there's a serious point.

I'll bet any money there is not one person in Wales who does not read English - no, remembering the first Prince of Wales, no literate person in Wales. The same in Scotland, and probably the same in Northern Ireland, though I can't speak from experience.

How many billions have been wasted in producing every scrap of paper and every sign in two languages, and paid for by English taxpayers? And just to satisy the egos of a very few self-important people. I think that such signes should be funded solely from the council tax, or whatever it is called, levied on private housing. That would soon bring a stop to it.

How sad

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Sorry about that Peter, but I'd rather spend my money on beer than have to hand it over for a pointless, unnecessary ego trip for politicians

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Saw this poster on French aire (doesn't need any translation) :RollEyes:

Link Removed

Attachments

• Dog Cleanup.jpg
    Dog Cleanup.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 72

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

How many billions have been wasted in producing every scrap of paper and every sign in two languages, and paid for by English taxpayers? And just to satisy the egos of a very few self-important people.

Wales,and I presume Scotland,is allocated a certain amount of money every year under the Barnet formula.How the Assembly choose to spend that money is their affair. As an English person living in Wales I admire their dedication to keeping the Welsh language alive.

Mike.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Britain is not the only country to do this double language signage it is also done in Spain in the Catalan region and the Basque region :Eeek:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As an Englishman living in Scotland I admire their resilience in not learning Gaelic despite millions being spent on promoting the langauge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back