Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
west midlands
Funster No
MH
hgv light goods
Exp
first year rookie
Its happens to us all at somepoint in our lives and we breakdown.The motorway probably rates as one of the worst, and in my case this certainly was true.
I will keep this short because i am still seething but suf:ROFLMAO:fice to say that they left myself,my dog and my motorhome at the side of the motorway and bid me good day.
The reason being was that my camper was too heavy (mercedes 608d) for them to lift which is fair enough i thought ,just get a bigger vehicle to do the job.But how wrong i was.All of sudden i realised that they meant it was too heavy for my AA policy which completely floored me as on purchasing the vehicle i had phoned the AA to check that my new motorhome would be covered and to pay any additional costs.
How i wish i had done this in writing as the thephone conversation wasn't worth a jot.This has been a hard lesson to have learned.
I have been a member of the AA for over 25 years and shall be leaving forwith as you can imagine just the sight of AA van fills me with quite an odd feeling and the thought of giving them my money is laughable.
I written this not to vent my spleen but as a WARNING.
Make sure your RV is covered in writing and DONT accept a telephone conversation as proof of this.
So what happened next.Well i got down and dirty and then managed to limp home.(Its gets a new clutch mastercylinder tommorow.

keep having fun
Rupertsan

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Sorry to hear your story and thanks for the info hope you get back on the road soon if me I would do as others say and complain in writing asking for an explanation

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bad news that. hope you find a new breakdown outfit soon..

just goes to show everyone should try driving without the clutch .it can be done . put it in first then turn key and remove handbrake ,it will lurch forward hopefully fire up and keep goinmg .with a bit of practice you can change up and with more practice brake then slowly pull on the gear stick to get a lower gear. its difficult but can be done .practice on a quiet road . you can go miles like this slowly keeping your eyes open for junctions etc try not to stop on a hill .it is best to practice then in emergency you can at least get off motorways and possibly to home or a safe place.
survival driving is taught in the army and is never forgotten .
wedge match box under throttle linkage to give you revs if throttle cable breaks .
squeeze a brake hose with mole grips if a wheel cyl lets you down. only to be used in a real emergency ,it pulls to one side but with care will let you turn the wheels.
again for emergencies only. cheers alan.

clayx

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
south wales
Funster No
Exp
i left RAC and went to green flag when we first had a motorhome because they promise to recover any size vehicle. or has anyone had probs. with this

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
vwalan is bang on right, you'll soon get the hang of accelerating as you change down and foot off as you go up the box - some of us on this site learnt that with crash boxes. Me? My third car had a pre-selector, no clutch that I knew of, God knows how it worked, just moving bands or something, never got round to finding out! Also the mole grip trick with brake hoses works.

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
Safeguard include breakdown & recovery as part of their Insurance package. I checked with them that my then M'Home (7.5m long and 3.8t) would be covered by their AA policy and they stated that it was. my new van is 8.7m and 5t and safeguard assure me that it is still covered under their AA policy.

I have been getting quotes ready for my renewal in July, caravan guard also provide UK & European breakdown (Homestart, Roadside & Recovery) and when I queried the length and weight issue they stated that there are no prolems as they use a HGV company.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I used to be with Flux rescue,but have changed to ADAC,there breakdown cover is up to 7500kgs.
I have tried them with a flat tyre which I wasn`t in a hurry to change and they did what they say they do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back