Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
Hi All
I am looking at all options for building/buying somthing to manuver my Rockwook Signature Ultralight (30ft 4 tonne max) 5th wheel.

Do the front legs have the strength to have wheels mounted to them so I can use the Power Touch all wheel drive caravan type mover that bears onto the tyres (moves up to 3.5 tonne on the flat and I don't think my 5ver is that heavy).

If not I was thinking of fabricating a support for the actual hitch with 4 heavy duty castors (just over 1 tonne on 4x8 inch castors) using angle iron welded together and some sort off fixing to stop it folding under the hitch, piramid shaped with a wide bottom for stability.

I know that calder is making something but they have not disclosed what yet and when I asked about it was told it was only made for lightweight units.

I am fine with normal manuvering but I just dont have the lenght where I turn round to do so with the truck attached and want to be able to unhitch the truck and then use the mover for the last few yards.

Cheers all
Andy Penn.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
why not use the truck?or get a converter dolly so non 5er trucks can tow/push it into place . there as been a few on ebay just lately .or if its close to home cant you find someone with a fork lift.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
andynkim

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
Chatter
That is indeed where I got the idea from the unit near the bottom of the page.

Vwalan
The trouble is I don't have the physical room to manoeuvre the 5ver without reversing from the end of the road and then into the drive which means getting the neighbours the move their cars to get the angle but if I had a mover the length is only the length of the 5ver and not the 20ft truck.

Any more thoughts about my proposals

Andy.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you can get your hands on an old garden tractor or ride on lawnmower and fabricate a frame on it with a 5th wheel plate on the top,that will be short enough to give you the manouverability to shunt it around.
It would be a simple enough job with scafold tube and clips.

OP
OP
andynkim

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
Snowbird
Yes had thought of that but not sure if it would carry the weight off the hitch, some thing I will look into.

Andy

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
andy what is the pin wieght of your 5er ? its usually marked somewhere . possibly 500kg .i,m lucky my truck fits a fair way under my trailer. you could keep eyes and ears open for a fork lift .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

I had a similar problem with a heavy tag axle caravan... I bought a second hand, manual cranking boat winch and mounted it at the top of the drive, this pulled it in quite easily.

OP
OP
andynkim

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
andy what is the pin wieght of your 5er ? its usually marked somewhere . possibly 500kg .i,m lucky my truck fits a fair way under my trailer. you could keep eyes and ears open for a fork lift .

Pin weight is 480kg dry weight so prob around 550kg. Fork lift is a good idea something else to keep my eyes open for.

Andy

OP
OP
andynkim

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

I had a similar problem with a heavy tag axle caravan... I bought a second hand, manual cranking boat winch and mounted it at the top of the drive, this pulled it in quite easily.

Yes also thought of a winch of some sort but again what about the wheeled support for the 5ver, under the front legs? or under the hitch?

Andy

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its easy to make a tower type support for the hitch but how are you going to move it .and steer it .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you could carry it on a hand held fork lift they are cheap but i think manuverability is going to be a problem.i would look for electric f,lift i think.

IanRS

Free Member
Nov 6, 2008
Funster No
Pin weight is 480kg dry weight so prob around 550kg. Fork lift is a good idea something else to keep my eyes open for.

Andy
Look on e-bay item number 190399348983 Mercury Vintage Airport Tug, I know you would need to fit a 5th wheel hitch somehow but this would have the grunt to push it wherever you needed it. Just been back on e-bay and there is a dumper, take the tub off and fit a hitch very manouverable and would support the weight above the wheels easily, I have seen them used on the beach in Cornwall to drag fishing boats out of the water.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
probably make a better tow un it than the pick up. i,m off now dont tell him where i live.ha ha.
must say yank pick ups are big i like my little mitzy much better for tight working . the vwlt was even better. cheers alan.

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Got the same problem with mine i forgot how big it all is,
we thats me and the experienced class1 drivers are going to look and work out if i can get it in the prepared spot.
We have a stolen recovered small dumper and small mini digger we been looking at to make a mover but its back to the drawing board i recon
Ian

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i too have a bit of a problem getting mine into the drive .what with a blind corner up the road. drivers going really fast in a 30mph. and only 24 inches wider to play with it does get heated . with the vw it became easy the extra couple of foot w,base on the mitzy makes it much harder .i do travel with a mate in spain he as a 5th wheel company +big yank pickup .its the length of the pickup that causes him a problem .even the euro pickups have alot sticking out front. plus its about where are the back wheels .as mine are on the very back it changes how it performs in reverse. the problem gets worse if you use a converter dolly as it then becomes steerable drag trailer .thats even worse . have fun hope you manage .ian if you need a hand give a shout. cheers alan.

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Hi Alan ime shouting :shout::shout:
just had a chat with my boss he says i can take the hedge down if i need to so i recon it will go .
If you have time tomorrow i would appreciate it if you could pop down the garage and take a look
Ian

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
ian give a call 07971962361 ..alan.

OP
OP
andynkim

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
Thanks all for your helpful suggestions I will give feedback when I have sorted something.

Andy.

IanRS

Free Member
Nov 6, 2008
Funster No
Hi All
I am looking at all options for building/buying somthing to manuver my Rockwook Signature Ultralight (30ft 4 tonne max) 5th wheel.

Do the front legs have the strength to have wheels mounted to them so I can use the Power Touch all wheel drive caravan type mover that bears onto the tyres (moves up to 3.5 tonne on the flat and I don't think my 5ver is that heavy).

If not I was thinking of fabricating a support for the actual hitch with 4 heavy duty castors (just over 1 tonne on 4x8 inch castors) using angle iron welded together and some sort off fixing to stop it folding under the hitch, piramid shaped with a wide bottom for stability.

I know that calder is making something but they have not disclosed what yet and when I asked about it was told it was only made for lightweight units.

I am fine with normal manuvering but I just dont have the lenght where I turn round to do so with the truck attached and want to be able to unhitch the truck and then use the mover for the last few yards.

Cheers all
Andy Penn.

Hi Andy Ive just been on e-bay USA and spotted an idea that might suit your needs, its an adaptor to fit on a fork lift have a look, item number 230459830060

Regards Ian

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you dont really need anything other than a chain or strap if you have a fork lift .been using one for years . problem is getting a fork lift .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you have the armsset so they just clear the pin it cant lift out wrap chain around arms front n rear ofpin. very often asyou lift pin because you are lifting at an angle the pin gets trapped in the arms .unless you hit a big bump it stays in place .you have the weight of the front of trailer on the arms as well .we used to move trailers and 5ers with one in the yard .
if youlift the pin and tilt the arms its better.
think thats what ianh is going to do .he as a nice 5er and truck . big compared to mine .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
fork lifts are a garage friend . good for changing truck engines .straightening body damage .towing vehicles .mobile scaffolding when spraying. you can even use them for lifting things like parcels and pallets . make great ramps if you extend the forks for lifting cars into trucks etc. dont know how we managed without one . and runs on red . not too good for fetching your dinner up town with but you never get stopped .ha ha

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back