how heavy a load will overhead cab take? (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have 2 relatives coming to stay for 2 or three nights when we are in Wales and a 4 year old child about 2 or 3 stone and both adults weighing around 18 stone each, will the overhead cab take that weight? I don't like to tell them they can't sleep up there if it doesn't or shall I make them sleep in our awning, thankfully it is summer when they want to come dont know about winter though??? The van is supposed to be a 4 berth doesn't that mean any weight of people? :winky:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
surely swift are the best people to ask
if they haven't done these calculations, they should have !

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
manufacturers never say how many adults and when queastioned say 2 adults and 2 children. Be interesting to hear what swift have to say. a pair of large adults could easily weigh 36 stone. If it breaks who is liable?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Compass57

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Low line
Exp
2 years
Not wanting to sound disrespectful to your visitors but will they be able to climb into overhead coffin?
My partner is ten stone and I’m thirteen stone, we both fit only just, my van is a Compass Rambler maybe your overhead coffin is bigger???
We now prefer the make up bed rather than the coffin, because its easier just to slip out of bed to use the toilet in the middle of the night, than to climb down and up again using the ladder in pitch darkness….

Bip.:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have 2 relatives coming to stay for 2 or three nights when we are in Wales and a 4 year old child about 2 or 3 stone and both adults weighing around 18 stone each, will the overhead cab take that weight? I don't like to tell them they can't sleep up there if it doesn't or shall I make them sleep in our awning, thankfully it is summer when they want to come dont know about winter though??? The van is supposed to be a 4 berth doesn't that mean any weight of people? :winky:

I think if it was me, i would suggest the awning in the summer. Then if it was winter , that you stayed up there ( If you 2 weigh less that is :Blush:) saying it would be easier for them.
39 + stone is quite a joint weight to have up there.
Depending on how tall they are , being around 18 stone each could mean they are quite round, and depending on your luton they may not be able to get in it anyway , especially with the child as well.

( is that being fatist ?:winky:)
Bev

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I've also got this problem in a lesser way. I would like to take my friend and her two grandchildren.... but they will want to stay with her. I feel awful saying 'You will have to sleep in the outside tent' but I don't want to put a strain on the overhead bed. I am used to climbing up and down to it now and them being outside seems the most logical.

At the show JJ bought a toilet for £45 which I think when finances allow I will buy for the outside awning so it is self contained other than to come in to cook or sit and chat and eat... It will make me feel less guilty. Let us know what you decide, please. As it will help us too. Ta.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
It depends on what they are going to do up there!!!!:Eeek:
Hymer beds are built for fat Krauts!

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
ours holds enough Belgian beer to last me a long time and I can drink :thumb:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
39 stone........what if they get carried away! does not bear thinking about:winky:

some camp-sites don't allow sleeping in awnings (miserable buggers)

4b2

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 Years
Just one thing. Will they WANT to sleep in the van with you?

When planning a trip with our grandson and his parents, my daughter's fiance remarked that it would be like sleeping in the same bedroom as her parents!

Needless to say, he brought his own tent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back