Screen problems after booting up (1 Viewer)

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi,

My wife has a Compaq running XP pro.

On boot up we get the Windows XP bit and then it dies all lights flashing, making all the right noises etc but the screen goes black and that is that.

Dont know of she has got a virus that is doing something:Sad:

Any suggestions of how to fix would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Gary

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
You could try booting it up in safe mode.....repeatedly pressing F8 during boot up and select safe mode. Once in if it gets there go into help and support and try to restore using the last restore point. Not knowing your computer experience hope I haven't caused any confusion.

Perhaps someone who actually runs xp will pop up and correct me if I am incorrect as I rarely run windows anymore.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i assume its just the screen playing dead and the machine is still running ?

i agree with jon....start in safe mode (it may not be F8 so read your manual...mine isnt) then do a system restore from safe mode.

if that does the trick then try undoing the last restore....if there is a corrupt or missing file it will bring the good one back from a previous date when you undo the last restore.

my desktop has a similar problem....starts to boot until it gets to the graphics files then the whole thing shuts down.
just needs a new graphics card but i cant be bothered as i rarely use it anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
Sounds like graphics card. Usually because the base unit is on the floor, collects loads of dust, graphics card overheats and fries :cry:.Have seen processor fans completely solid with dog hairs,fluff etc VMax

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
If it just appears to be the screen and the machine is still running (as suggested), and the machine has an LCD screen it could be the back light. You might be able to see the faint XP desktop screen if you look closely.

If it is a laptop and you have a stand alone screen you could try using that connecting the external VGA output, the same if it is a desktop machine. If you don't have another screen but you have an LCD TV (some LCD TVs have a PC input) then you may be able to temporally use that to prove if its the screen.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
From the initial post it doesn't sound like a screen fault and not convinced of it being the graphics card. Need some more feedback with regard attempts to start up in safe mode. PJ is correct it could be another key to press like F5 if F8 doesn't work. Should add, is this a laptop or a desktop?

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
From the initial post it doesn't sound like a screen fault and not convinced of it being the graphics card. Need some more feedback with regard attempts to start up in safe mode. PJ is correct it could be another key to press like F5 if F8 doesn't work. Should add, is this a laptop or a desktop?

Yep I should have mentioned its a laptop

We tried doing the F8 thing and start it in safe mode but the same thing happened.

We can hear the hard drive is working Ok etc apart from the screen it appears to be running OK

:Sad:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
From your initial post I got the impression that the screen does come up with the bios splash and the windows splash during booting but goes blank once windows starts. Is this correct?

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
It's possible that the laptop is outputting to the secondary monitor socket.

Have a look at the number & function keys for a blue symbol that has 2 monitors on it. Hold down the FN button near the space bar and press the number or function button with that symbol - it's a cyclic button that switches between monitor arrangements (Laptop , External, Both).

Just an option

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back