Gaslow problems (1 Viewer)

May 22, 2008
Funster No
At the Newbury Show a friend could smell gas leaking from his Gaslow System,he went to the GASLOW STAND at the show on Friday morning and spoke to the person setting up the stand and asked for assistance, he was told "I am too busy right now F@@K off ", in those exact words, he returned later and persuaded this person to visit his van to ascertain the fault, he was rudely told that one bottle was overfilled, the cut off valve had failed and that the second bottle had a faulty shut off valve and was also duff as gas could not be turned off, [ burners continued to burn after the gas was shut off. ]The filler point had been fitted in the door of the gas locker and this is also wrong he was told,and one of the hoses used was black rubber, [high pressure ] and should be changed for Stainless Steel hose. My friend contacted Timberland, who supplied the van and who were also at the show, A row developed between Timberland and the Gaslow man,Gaslow saying they would not replace the faulty bottles as they were only AGENTS for GASLOW and were only there to sell bottles not replace faulty ones [ What are agents for ? ] The GASLOWMAN was extremely unhelpful and rude to all.After two days Gaslow proper finally delivered two new bottles via this agent and he at last fitted the new bottles. I would personally not ever have any dealings with this particular agent as he is the most unhelpful person I have encountered in a long time and would not like to require his assistance if I had a GASLOW problem. :Eeek::Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont get that sort of problem with ebay specials .hello vindy have you booked a ferry yet ?soon be winter !we thought about summer in iceland but seems a difficult route to go direct .see you oin december ha ha
cheers alan.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
and with the saving you can go on holiday and have fun . also you can fill other peoples for the price of the gas and a pint of beer . or two. ha ha .
derek what do you think of aframes or chhemicals in your toilet?
cheers alan.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
exactly my experience with these 80% cut off valves , too dangerous for me

that's why I fill empty bottles with an exact amount to manufacturers spec , lpg pumps are spot on

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Is this yet another case of faulty Gaslow things to go wrong :ROFLMAO:2 bottles and a pigtail hose :Eeek: on one job :Eeek::Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I will stick with my brain and filler :thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
It would seem that I made the right decision and fitted a bulk under chassis tank. I never did like Idea of hulking bottles about. plus all the extra weight of the steel bottles. A 70 ltr tank is only the weight of one empty 22 ltr bottle (Approx).

Doug...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well that depends on the weight .ha ha.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
What is the point of knocking the agent if you don't name him ???
I have had gaslow since new and have had no trouble whatsoever !!
As I have just said..don't whine about poor service unless you name names so that others don't pour money into a bad suppliers bank account !!...:Doh:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
I ran on lpg for 25 years with fixed tanks

had 3 80% valves fail on those ...be warned

when you are running on lpg it isn't serious , you want liquid out of the tank anyway ; but when you want gas into the motorhome that could be dangerous !

Last edited:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I know the chaps on the Gaslow stand, and there is no way either of them would tell someone to F Off if they had a problem with their system. I suggest you either name and shame or retract your allagations. I will contact them tomorrow and point them at this post. I have never had a problem with them, always polite and helpfull

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
At the Newbury Show a friend could smell gas leaking from his Gaslow System,he went to the GASLOW STAND at the show on Friday morning and spoke to the person setting up the stand and asked for assistance, he was told "I am too busy right now F@@K off ", in those exact words, he returned later and persuaded this person to visit his van to ascertain the fault, he was rudely told that one bottle was overfilled, the cut off valve had failed and that the second bottle had a faulty shut off valve and was also duff as gas could not be turned off, [ burners continued to burn after the gas was shut off. ]The filler point had been fitted in the door of the gas locker and this is also wrong he was told,and one of the hoses used was black rubber, [high pressure ] and should be changed for Stainless Steel hose. My friend contacted Timberland, who supplied the van and who were also at the show, A row developed between Timberland and the Gaslow man,Gaslow saying they would not replace the faulty bottles as they were only AGENTS for GASLOW and were only there to sell bottles not replace faulty ones [ What are agents for ? ] The GASLOWMAN was extremely unhelpful and rude to all.After two days Gaslow proper finally delivered two new bottles via this agent and he at last fitted the new bottles. I would personally not ever have any dealings with this particular agent as he is the most unhelpful person I have encountered in a long time and would not like to require his assistance if I had a GASLOW problem. :Eeek::Eeek:

I could swear blind that he says a Gaslow agent at Newbury show and Timberland m/h 's --- :winky: -- Timberland is named (asuming they fitted it ?because they argued with gaslow stand people ? ) so who were the gaslow stand agents ?
::bigsmile:
terry

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
and with the saving you can go on holiday and have fun . also you can fill other peoples for the price of the gas and a pint of beer . or two. ha ha .
derek what do you think of aframes or chhemicals in your toilet?
cheers alan.

Chemicals? Bio powder.

A frames? What the powder disintegrates.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cheaper tugging a caravan.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
I ran on lpg for 25 years with fixed tanks

had 3 80% valves fail on those ...be warned

when you are running on lpg it isn't serious , you want liquid out of the tank anyway ; but when you want gas into the motorhome that could be dangerous !

That may be true, but at least with a tank the faulty component can be removed, (when the tanks empty) and replaced, with a bottle you throw it away and pay again.

Doug...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
doug ,you missed the point some bottles dont let you down and they didnt cost to start with.
i have a 47kg bottle here tare is 34.6kg make a lovelly tank on its side with an oulet on the top or side of bottle . thinking about it
cheers alan,.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
doug ,you missed the point some bottles dont let you down and they didnt cost to start with.
i have a 47kg bottle here tare is 34.6kg make a lovelly tank on its side with an oulet on the top or side of bottle . thinking about it
cheers alan,.

Alan, we have been through this before, You have a commercial vehicle towing a commercial trailer with plenty of room and weight carrying capacity.

Your solutions do not work for normal A class and coach-built units.

Doug...

charlie24

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Maryburgh, Ross shire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
I have read this thread with interest. I have approached Gaslow at two shows and e mailed the company twice for iformation. The show stall holders were less than interested to the point of being rude and the company have never replied. I have bought a fill adapter.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am at the Newbury show... the Gaslow agents here are CMR.

I am saddened and surprised by the poor treatment a Fellow Funster has received from them. They have always been brilliant with me which is why I have used them for both my campers.

I also know that several other firms (agents) fit these systems and CMR have had to be called in to correct faulty work by others. Putting right other people's mistakes when their business is to supply and fit systems to new customers must be a little trying especially when one member of the (family) firm is absent through a worrying illness.

Non of this in any way justifies the abusive treatment but it might throw a little light on the reason for it.

I am not connected in any way with CMR other than being a satisfied customer of theirs.

JJ.

PS. Newbury has been a brilliant, Fun packed show...

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
I have read this thread with interest. I have approached Gaslow at two shows and e mailed the company twice for iformation. The show stall holders were less than interested to the point of being rude and the company have never replied. I have bought a fill adapter.

I had a similar experience with a Gaslow dealer. Booked van in for fitting and returned to collect it that evening to be told the wrong pipe had been ordered. No contrition - just a shrug and told to come back next week - I didn't and have been a satisfied adapterite ever since.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: LISTEN YOU LOT :thumb: The old saying comes to mind - something about not being able to educate pork :ROFLMAO: leave the gaslow boys to there own devises ( leaks, faulty valves,faulty 80% shut off floats and wrong pipes. :ROFLMAO: ) and we can use our adapter's trouble free :thumb: Before long if too many get adapter's they will legislate against them (enforced ).making it harder for us to use them.Then we shall have to go down the decanting route :ROFLMAO:LEAVE them to it :ROFLMAO::Doh::winky:
terry

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, I have posted many times about Gaslow, we have had it for over 3 years ::bigsmile: ( fitted myself on two vans ) :Smile: Never had a leak or trouble with rubber hoses or regulators, and if the chaps that do the show at Newbury are the same two Pete and John that do the Peterborough show then I could not imagine them telling anyone to F... Off.
At Peterborough I wanted a tee adaptor to go on my No 2 bottle to link the bottles when filling, and I then had a elbow I had taken out and Pete just did me a straight swap, no money changed hands and the only thing I have ever bought from them was a 8mm copper tee, so if they are as JJ says CMR they get my vote as a great company to deal with and I got 100% customer satisfaction.:thumb: Bob.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
terry , spot on !

please everybody go and buy your gaslow systems , and leave us safety first types to fill our standard bottles with precise volumes for safety's sake

increasingly I just swop bottles anyway , in france it is now just as cheap as refilling myself , and in spain it is cheaper

uk still has a monopoly so refilling is a lot cheaper , so if you just motorhome there gaslow is a money saver in the long term ; I suggest you let the bottle empty though , then just put in the rated volume

of course when you swop bottles there is no passing the life of the bottle and having to buy again

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have read this thread through with interest.

I agree with posters about not relying on the 80% shut-off and watching the pump meter.

Obviously one of the advantages of any re-fiiable tank is the convenience of filling a part-full tank at will.

To use the pump to check against over-filling a part-full cylinder one needs to know the (approximate) contents remaining.

So 2 Qs :-

1. With the newer Gaslow bottles with guages fitted (Albeit only reading from 1/2 full at top of green sector) , how accurate are they? With a 11kg tank i.e. approx 22lt at 100% capacity I should be able to fill to approx 18lt with a safety margin. So if Gaslow guage is showing 1/4 full (i.e. 5.5lt) I should look at a fill of 12.5 lt as a safe cut-off cross-check.?

2. If the above guage reading starting point is wrong, by say 2lt, i.e. still have 7.5lt, and I therefore end up filling to 20lt there is still room for gas rather than liquid at the top of the tank. So the guage can be wrong by 36% and I still have a 10% safety margin against an overfill?

3. What is a "propane refill adapter" - referred to by 'wildman', and how does it work/solve problem?

Thanks in anticipation of replies

Geoff

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have read this thread through with interest.

I agree with posters about not relying on the 80% shut-off and watching the pump meter.

Obviously one of the advantages of any re-fiiable tank is the convenience of filling a part-full tank at will.

To use the pump to check against over-filling a part-full cylinder one needs to know the (approximate) contents remaining.

So 2 Qs :-

1. With the newer Gaslow bottles with guages fitted (Albeit only reading from 1/2 full at top of green sector) , how accurate are they? With a 11kg tank i.e. approx 22lt at 100% capacity I should be able to fill to approx 18lt with a safety margin. So if Gaslow guage is showing 1/4 full (i.e. 5.5lt) I should look at a fill of 12.5 lt as a safe cut-off cross-check.?

2. If the above guage reading starting point is wrong, by say 2lt, i.e. still have 7.5lt, and I therefore end up filling to 20lt there is still room for gas rather than liquid at the top of the tank. So the guage can be wrong by 36% and I still have a 10% safety margin against an overfill?

3. What is a "propane refill adapter" - referred to by 'wildman', and how does it work/solve problem?

Thanks in anticipation of replies

Geoff

Hi Geoff see blow for how to use the adapters - they are available via e bay search or someone will post a link - the safest way to fill them is only fill empties :thumb:
GAS ADAPTER
There are no joints, pipes, knuckles valves or floats to go wrong or leak, just a simple well engineered adapter that screws onto your bottle
Use a two bottle system ie 1 full to replace empty 1, just as you did years ago.
Remember to refill only total empty bottles to avoid overfilling.
Refill LPG bottles are only filled to 80% of total volume.
One litre of LPG weights ca. 500 grams.
13 kg bottle at 80% = 26 litres
6 kg bottle @ 80 % = 12 ltrs
3.9 kg bottle @ 80 % = 7.8 ltrs
Calor gas on there web site even say that bottles can be filled up to 87 % so this will allow for any difference in temperatures!!!!
Fasten the bottle in the van
Fit adapter
Open valve
Fit filling gun turning 90 degrees C,Wise and lock on/cock
Dispense required amount of gas (see above)
Close valve
Uncock turn 90 degrees anti CW,Disengage filling gun
Replace gun into holder and pay for fuel
Remove adapter and store for next use
If you cannot follow these simple instructions then do not buy a filling adapter and carry on paying through the nose for refill bottles!!!
If you can understand and follow the above then buy an adapter and start saving money
terry
edit
ebay item 230476723520 - search they may be cheaper ones !

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Never had a Gaslow system so can't comment except to say that relying solely on an auto cut off valve on ANY system is folly ..

On my LPG tank there are THREE ways to know when it is at the max fill point

1. Auto cut off valve , self explanatory

2. Tank level indicator, quite accurate as it is mechanical and float operated

3. Bleed off valve .. this is opened before filling.. a small amount of gas escapes here during filling.

When filling you

a) watch the level gauge,
b) watch for liquid LPG escaping from the bleed valve..

if the auto valve doesn't work you will know.. it's almost impossible to over fill if you follow these instructions.

I've also filled countless Propane bottles with an adaptor, provided you know what you are doing, ONLY fill empty bottles and follow the instructions it's fool proof.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
geoff

unfortunately any gauge fitted to a bottle will give only a vague idea of the level of the contents
if you apply boyles law of gases you will see why , there are 3 variables

the only way to ascertain the contents is by weight .....know the weight of the empty bottle , put in gas , weigh again ...in fact that is what is done in the filling of standard gas bottles in a bottle filling station ; this is because it is quicker than measuring the volume you put in , they just push the filler head against the bottle , nothing is fixed on

btw , the weight of gas marked on a bottle is what it is rated to carry at 80% full , ie an 11Kg bottle you put in 11Kg...22 litres

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back