oddjob

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Cleveleys Nr Blackpool
Funster No
Exp
next monday hopefully
Loaded up last night for a trip to the lakes ,
Started the engine and set the fridge to veh etc ,noticed on the dash symbol lock and keys glowing ,switch off the engine to try and reset tried to start up nothing just the engine cranking over wont start.called out the breakdown his verdict is that the keys need recoding and he hasn't got the computer or software to do this but he was prepared to take me to a garage to do this if we could find one open at 6 o'clock a night, anyway no luck so its sat outside my house going no where,
Looking on the Internet ,at the dealers (peugeot boxer) it could run up a hefty bill £1000ish seems it could not be that simple just to recode the keys,it might need a new immobilizer unit :cry:anybody had this before???
oddjob

Last edited:

Benni-Boy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Hi, sorry to hear of your predicament. I know it sounds a bit simple but have you checked all your vehicle fuses? I was once messing with the cigarette lighter at the back of the dashboard and accidentally sparked a wire. I then had the same problem as you. I rang Fiat and the warranty people and no-one wanted to know. Just out of curiosity I checked the fuses and one was blown. Think it must have broken some sort of circuit used by the immobiliser. Anyway I replaced the fuse and it fired up. I was so pleased that I didn't check out which fuse but it would be worth checking.
Hope you get it sorted.
Best of luck

OP
OP
oddjob

oddjob

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Cleveleys Nr Blackpool
Funster No
Exp
next monday hopefully
Thanks Benni-Boy
Breadown Man took out the fuses one by one so i think thats ok
oddjob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
may be the sensor on the steering column , they have been known to fail
is the the same when you use another key ?

timpsons can cut keys if you have one to hand and know the code ...I have a feeling they can read your existing key to see if it is still ok

there are other people except pug agents !

Link Removed

not sure exactly what model you have , but if it is the sort where it is immobilised just on the fuel pump they have been known to get muck in and get a bad connection

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
another option would be to have the immobilizer circuits disabled at the ECU but that would invalidate your insurance......no win situation. :Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
ECU ?
is this a jtd ?

just me assuming it is. :Doh:

BUT....if it isnt then you may be able to do an emergency fix.

as the motor will crank, the immobiliser probably only works on the fuel cut of valve.

locate the valve on the injector pump, remove the feed wire and run a temp wire from the battery to the valve.
this will open the valve and allow the engine to drink but to turn it off you will need to remove the wire from the valve or battery (prefered).

not an ideal situation but it will get you going again

edit: just a thought, does the heater plug warning light come on as usual ? if not then it may also be on the immob circuit and a squirt of easy start may be needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oddjob

oddjob

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Cleveleys Nr Blackpool
Funster No
Exp
next monday hopefully
Update
sorry for the delay in getting back , Just got back from the lakes "how you might say"???
Ok phoned a couple of local garages that were open(Blackpool v Cardiff):Sad: weren't all that interested said take it to a dealer , went to a locksmith recode the keys recommended by a garage , gone to wembley :Angry: Phoned an auto electrician recommended by the locksmith,still with me?? who then recommended the locksmith (hes in Wembley) anyhow auto electrician says try take the negative battery lead off and leave it off for 10 Min's yeh i thought and would you believe it yes bingo:thumb:.
it took the wife and myself 4mins flat to repack the fridge and 1 hour 50mins later sat in chairs over looking morecambe bay at grange over sands.
Just as a matter of interest heres a couple of threads that frightened the life out of me .
and it makes you wonder did the systems need replacing especially the one in France
Its the motorhome facts topic ,cant seem to post a direct link

Link Removed

http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29813
oddjob

Last edited:

Benni-Boy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Glad everything worked out alright in the end. What a weekend you would have missed! My old dad always used to say try the simplest things first. Makes you wonder how many people have just handed over the money to unscrupulous garages for replacement parts that were unnecessary. Anyway a cracking result.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back