mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Whenever our MH is left standing for any length of time( even as little as 2 weeks), when we fill the toilet tank with water and then flush it we get this horrible black stuff coming out of it.Have tried rinsing it when its put away, and leaving it full or empty makes no difference. Any ideas?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
lots of little black specs ?

its quite common and flushing doesnt clear it.
i believe Thetford do a specific cleaner for this but i dont know if it works or not.

OP
OP
mejulie

mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks pappajohn, I will investigate and post results later.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jeffscarborough

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Our last camper had a porta potty free standing loo and we put pink rinse chemical in it.

Perhaps that will work?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks pappajohn, I will investigate and post results later.:thumb:

i had a look on the thetford site but cant find anything concerning the crud !

i think this stuff is organic, probably some form of algae, and harmless even if not very nice.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Toilet Flush Tank

In response to black bits from the Aqua Rinse pink flush liquid there are several responses to this at the following site

Link Removed

They seem to use alternatives to the pink or even flush out with milton or fabric conditioner ....ummmm

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's the pink stuff that causes the black bits I believe it is an algae once you have it very difficult to get rid of even if you stop using the pink stuff it keep producing.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
have you got a water vent pipe .if you drain this out .then flush out all water .it helps get rid of black bits .i also think its the pink .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i can only say just like the bottom tank on our porta potty i put no chemical stuff only clean water .cant say we have any problem at all. still got some left in the bottom tank from returning to uk a month ago .that will let the good bacteria live a lovelly life .
cheers alan.

OP
OP
mejulie

mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
It's the pink stuff that causes the black bits I believe it is an algae once you have it very difficult to get rid of even if you stop using the pink stuff it keep producing.
It would appear so, I have just purchased a bottle of Kampa Dual Nature toilet fluid. I will give that a go and post the results later.

OP
OP
mejulie

mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
It would appear so, I have just purchased a bottle of Kampa Dual Nature toilet fluid. I will give that a go and post the results later.
Just spent a week in Cornwall and used the Kampa Dual Nature fluid. The black bits did clear up quicker than usual, smells quite nice too, but were away again in August so it'll be interesting to see if it has kept it at bay whilst standing. I'll keep you posted if any ones interested.

shedbrewer

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
St. Columb, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW C Class
Exp
25 years
black ''stuff'' in toilet flush,,,,

hello all, we had this problem for years, as did everyone else, recently 'in the other place', it was discussed at length and the final concensus is that, along with others, we now do not use the pink flushing liquid, but add a couple of capsful ( cap fulls ) of low price Pine disinfectant to the top tank and in the bottom, instead of ''Toilet Blue'' we use cheap fabric softener, £1 a bottle or less,,,,,, seen us OK for the last 12 months,,,,,,,,, go for it,,,, jack & petty, cornwall

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Whenever our MH is left standing for any length of time( even as little as 2 weeks), when we fill the toilet tank with water and then flush it we get this horrible black stuff coming out of it.Have tried rinsing it when its put away, and leaving it full or empty makes no difference. Any ideas?

this stuff is a cure all and says on my container it will clean out your top tank of black bits about a fiver and you only use a small amount so will last ages

http://www.fenwicks.info/fendox.htm

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Try Fenwicks 'Top 'n' Tail' or 'Fendox'

OP
OP
mejulie

mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Just spent a week in Cornwall and used the Kampa Dual Nature fluid. The black bits did clear up quicker than usual, smells quite nice too, but were away again in August so it'll be interesting to see if it has kept it at bay whilst standing. I'll keep you posted if any ones interested.
Hello all, just back from Cornwall and great news!! Kampa dual nature toilet fluid works a treat. In fact now I only put it in the top tank and it does the job perfectly. Highly recommended!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Biomagic, used it for 3 years since the van was new, never had any black bits in the flush.

Not cheap bur does the job. :thumb:

I never drain the flush unless I see it's going to be frosty so it never gets cleaned out in the summer, & still no Black bits.

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Our van had the black bits in the flush when we got it. Id heard it was caused by the pink stuff, and thetford were selling something to counteract it. I think its a p##s take if im honest (no pun intended) ; selling you one product, then another to sort out the problems caused by the first!
I just stopped using anything at all in the tank - just clean water. After a couple of trips, the black stuff vanished and has never returned.
We tried fabric conditioner in the casette, but the mrs didnt think it eliminated odours enough. So now we are trying Fenwicks 'top n tail', but only in the casette, which seems better with the odours. For the toilet bowl, we just give it a spray of thetford anti-bacterial stuff on a regular basis.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Thought this problem had vanished, but appears it is still around.

It is an algae it appeared first some years ago, I first came across it when I worked for Kodak and we had to change chemical formulation due to Health and Safety rules. They used to use Formaldehyde to stop algae growth but had to find something else. I think the toilet liquid makers had the same problem.
Thetford pink seemed to be the worst, but not the only one. I know at the time I went to Fiamma liquid that seemed to work.

Have since had flush from main tank and no problems.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back