engine cutting out (1 Viewer)

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
I have a winnebago itasca sunrise 16 year old on a chevvy 7.2 litre petrol and LPG engine which has started hunting really bad even when the engine is warm, on petrol and LPG. I checked the oil which was low but now full and also the coolant. This has started happening since it wouldnt start, a new battery and earth strap later it is starting better but not always first time.
I am in southern spain at the mo and want to go back to the uk soon but darnt.
Ive had three different mechanicos look at it all with differnt ideas and advice. Main one being it is some kind of piston when idling, but its happening lots. engine cuts out and I have to restart, last times after about 5 minutes on a big roundabout which is quite stressful to say the least. Typically my breakdown recover ceased 10 days ago and im trying in vain to get new cover with ADAC. so going no where till I got that.
They just say see how it goes ???

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
are all the vacum pipes in the correct place .have known that to be a problem.if its the same on gas as it is on petrol that cancels out any carb problems ,other than base gasket .

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I guess at 16 it'll be injected though it could simply be LPG related, ie the control (LPG ECU)/fuel solenoids playing up?

Could I suppose be leads or coil pack type issue, thats the problem with modern engines, it's a bugger often trying to work it out. What about local GM/Opel dealers?
They may be able to plug in and get the trouble codes, if any present, and if none I'd look closer at the LPG stuff, I'm guessing you don't have any Yank speciallists about?

You could have a word with Duncan at Starspangledspanner, he may be able to help (he's clever he is) or even here http://www.american-vehicles.com/ .

Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
it had new spark plugs , leads and distributer cap on about a year ago, with a full service and a mini service before I came to spain, I did find a fuse had gone on the LPG wiring near the battery that I replaced. Remind me to stay at home next winter !!
The mechanics over here dont seem to have any idea.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
low oil, low coolent and engine misfiring, sounds like a head gasket or warped head to me. So either get it sorted there or what? You cannot expect relay home when you breakdown cover was allowed to expire. Be cheaper to fly a mechanic out from the UK with a selection of parts and gaskets. Maybe a compression test on all cylinders would show up the problem.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i know nowt about yanks but an engine is an engine is an engine....

at 16 years old is the ignition on contact breaker points or electronic ?

if its on points i would replace the condenser...if its breaking down it will give the symptoms you describe eventually failing altogether.

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
I had a similar problem with my Winnebago with a Ford V8 7.5 engine in it same as you it cut out on islands and had to be restarted sometimes did it when slowing down for traffic lights.
I had to drive like a race car driver heel and toe on the brake and accelerator
Turned out to be the idle control valve new one fitted by Duncan @ Starspangledspanner cured it no further problem

Good luck :thumb:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well , petrol and lpg , so not fuel related
almost certainly electrical in my experience [ 25 years on lpg ]

you say new earth strap helped , presuming you have tried detaching each plug lead in turn when it DOES tick over , then coil is always a possibility , as condenser is as stated

instead of a mechanic , see if you can find an auto electrician

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If all your earths are fine, battery new etc - i would say it would be an air flow meter, or failing that i would take a look at the charge relay for the alternator. Not sure if you have them on these - but see if you do. When these go, the engine will cut out, but start agin straight away.

If you have to wait a while, it will be the air flow meter.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
thanks for all your thoughts folks, much of it means little to me but i'll show what youve said to an english mechanic/ auto electrician ....when I find one.
Still waiting for ADAC to get back to me re. joining, gave all my details for payment but no response still ???

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
why not a spanish auto electrician , where are you exactly?
the engine will tell him all he needs to know

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
why not a spanish auto electrician , where are you exactly?
the engine will tell him all he needs to know

Ive had three different mechanicos look at it all with differnt ideas and advice.

but still no fix.......good enough reason in my book :thumb::roflmto:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
mechanics are one thing , auto electricians are another in my experience

Link Removed

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
cutting out chevy

You may have an egr valve stuck open, our chevy 7.4 which we had 7 years ago used to suffer from carbon in the egr system coming away and jamming the valve off it's seat. The egr valve is located next to the throttle body and has a two wire multiplug and is held on to the inlet manifold with two nuts. you need to remove it to see if that is the fault. EGR(exhaust gas recirculation).
Dunc.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Ive phone an english mechanic here and he wanst to know if it has a diagnostics socket ?
Ive looked through the manual and cant find any reference to it and as its 16 years old would they have bneen using computers then ? so im presuming not ??

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Computer, almost certailnly yes, 16 is young really. Chances are the plug will be just to the left of the steering column below the dash board.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
The mechanic wont make the 80 mile round trip till he knows more about the diagnostic system, I cant even find the socket !!!
Tried the main Chevrolet dealer in Malaga but they wouldnt even look at it, something to do with chevrolet spain being different to chevrolet europe ??
Cant find any info on t'internet.
what does it look like and what might the system type be ??? UUGGHHH
The mechanic seemed very abrupt and filled my head with all this technical stuff I dont understand.
At least im now a fully paid up member of ADAC now so feel a bit easier about breaking down, even if thier policy is pants.

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
You may have an egr valve stuck open, our chevy 7.4 which we had 7 years ago used to suffer from carbon in the egr system coming away and jamming the valve off it's seat. The egr valve is located next to the throttle body and has a two wire multiplug and is held on to the inlet manifold with two nuts. you need to remove it to see if that is the fault. EGR(exhaust gas recirculation).
Dunc.

i agree with this:thumb: often over looked but the egr valve sticking open or getting bunged up is often the cause of a rough running chevy. easy fix is to remove it and soak it in brake fluid overnight to remove the carbon deposits.

white smoke coming from the exhaust is a good sign for a dud head gasket.

i think its either the egr valve or the plug leads. would be worth taking a look under the hood so to speak with the engine running in the dark to see if your plugs leads are shorting out. ive seen this on new leads to that have been in storage for a while before being sold.

also worth a try is to ask on a american car forum where the guys tend to know a lot more about these motors:winky:

http://www.amvo.org/

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
also worth a mention.

what plugs do you have fitted ??. the reason i ask is that when i had lpg fitted to my day van i was told not to use platinum tipped plugs. apparently due to the higher temperatures the lpg burns at the thin tips on the platinum plugs can snap off.
best to use a proper old fashioned plug with a big fat electrode.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
i agree with this:thumb: often over looked but the egr valve sticking open or getting bunged up is often the cause of a rough running chevy. easy fix is to remove it and soak it in brake fluid overnight to remove the carbon deposits.

white smoke coming from the exhaust is a good sign for a dud head gasket.

i think its either the egr valve or the plug leads. would be worth taking a look under the hood so to speak with the engine running in the dark to see if your plugs leads are shorting out. ive seen this on new leads to that have been in storage for a while before being sold.

also worth a try is to ask on a american car forum where the guys tend to know a lot more about these motors:winky:

http://www.amvo.org/

Well ive found the diagnostic socket and emailed a pic to the english mechanic down the coast who seems to think the ECU will have "spiked" with the earth strap problem, which makes sense as both things happened at the same time, so will just need re-setting.
Daveyboy how do I know if a lead is shorting ? can i take the spark plugs out and check em ? I think they were the non platinum type I think supplied by star spangled spanner or motorhome medics so presume thier the correct thing.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Leads shorting, as daveyboy said, take the engine cover off and run the engine in the dark and you'll see little 'lightening' bolts around the leads.

I doubt this is your problem though.

Resetting the ECU, quite often the way that's done is disconnect the engine battery completely and either leave it 5-10 minutes and refit or sometime short the two battery cables together BUT NOT WITH THE (ANY) BATTERIE/S CONNECTED.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
so these lightening bolts should every lead have one or if I see one thats a bad one ???
Do you guys think if I took it steady back to England I'd be OK or could I cause more damage ?

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Just had another mechanic look at it who said im panicing for nothing, its just hunting and occasionally cutting out on low revs and only on Petrol, he suggested I dont spend any money on it and is replacing the air filter and adding an airflow scoop thing to keep the engine cooler to increase my fuel consumption by 20%. I just hope hes not just fobbing me off cos he doesnt know his way round the engine, though he seemed to know what he was doing ???

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
The old carb days you could have some tremendious fun with vapour locks when in hotter tempretures, basically petrol vapourising in the lines and stopping the correct flow of fuel into the carb, particularly when using an engine driven fuel pump, but I've never heard of this issue on injection motors, which at 16 years old yours will be.
If cooling the air flow around the motor helps all well and good but it would suggest to me either fuel pump, filter or pressure regulator issues really.

Fingers crossed though (for you) I have cleared a horedious running issue on a Fiesta years ago with a new air filter, the car hadn't had a service for years and the air filter was black! That was all it got mind you, owner couldn't be bothered or see the value of looking after it:Doh:

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
just a quick up date
mechanic number 5 has said it is the LPG vacum switch and pipe that is causing the diaphram thing on under the air filter that is causing the problem and has shown me how to change the air tubes for running on petrol when no LPG, so I gotta warm the engine before moving off on LPG. so i think its sorted but seems to be a bit of a bodge job ???
I suppose its back to the LPG man in england if and when I get back. !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back