Circuit breaker tripping out? (1 Viewer)

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
For some unknown reason the circuit breaker is tripping out when plugged into the mains. This has just happened today, sod`s law as I am going away tomorrow! :Angry:.

I have just come back from France where it worked perfectly and is normally on hook up when in storage with no previous problems. I brought the van home today to load up and get the fridge on but as soon as I plugged the hook up cable in the trip went off.

The only thing I have done is to wash the van today. I have looked for traces of water in the hook up socket but it looks as dry as a dry thing.

Any ideas ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
assuming you mean the trip in the van.....turn all the other circuits/trips off except the main one then turn each breaker on in turn and see which trips the main RCD.

if it trips with nothing else turned on then get it checked as there is an earth fault between the socket and fuse box.

if you mean the house trip then plug something else in the socket you are using and see if it still trips.
if it doesnt it could be a faulty hookup lead.
unhook from the van and plug the lead into the house socket and see if it trips.
if it does its a faulty lead.

if it doesnt....turn off the main switch in the van, plug into the house socket and the van then turn on the main switch in the van.

it could then be a faulty charger ect causing it to trip.

OP
OP
H

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
It is the trip in the van that is going off.

I made a new lead and it is still the same, trip in house is fine.

When you say `main switch` I assume you mean the switch on the fuse board/control unit ? The van is a Burstner Delphin with the `E control panel` which appears to be working fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Simannjo

Free Member
Apr 18, 2009
Nottingham.
Funster No
Hi hailman,

Can you post a photo of fusebox / control panel and all its switches, let us know which is tripping... and we'll go from there.

Sim

OP
OP
H

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Tried switching off main board in van, so no appliances running and it still sets the trip off. The trip will stay on if there is no supply to the hook up. Still baffled.

Simannjo

Free Member
Apr 18, 2009
Nottingham.
Funster No
Before I can point you in any direction I need to ascertain exactly whats tripping, what you have and where it all is...:Smile:

So...

Is the main switch in the van an RCD? (It'll have a small test button on the front of it)
Is the switch that's tripping the RCD or one of the smaller circuit breakers?
If a circuit breaker, what size is it (in amps i.e B6 B10 B16 B20 etc)

Pics tell a thousand words...

Sim

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
As per above, more info needed and get back to basics.

I'm just going to add one of my breakers was "buzzing" for a while and tripping for no reason. Turned out the actual MCB had failed. Bought 2x on ebay (1 to fit and 1 as spare) and all okay.

Fortunaltey everything on the fuse when it failed was also powerable by gas. Phew!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
but only if you know what you're doing. !!!!!!

Of course John, but that applies to nearly all the advice given about leccy or gas on any forum ..

Are you saying we shouldn't ?

Of course, you could argue that members wouldn't need to ask if they were competent .. but if they were competent they wouldn't need to ask.. :Doh:

a rock and a hard place comes to mind.

perhaps a stock answer should be

Don't ask if your not sure about what you are doing ..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
even though its common sense Jim, a timely reminder is always worth a mention.

all too easy to put things back wrongly if you're unsure what you are doing.

gas explodes....leccy bites !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it is the RCD that is tripping (sounds like it) unplug/disconnect each item that is connected to mains probably the fridge, battery charger & heater then plug each one back in one at a time to find out what is tripping it. Most likley to be the fridge or heater element faulty.

Switching off is not good enough unless you know your switches are double pole an RCD will often still trip if there is a leakage between neutral & earth (it depends how far you are from sub station/transformer & how much neutral is floating above earth).

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
whats reverse polarity. is it when the world turns up side down and we become australia?:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
H

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just back from a few days away, including Newbury show on Sunday, so I will investigate further today.
Thanks for the replies so far, if I can`t work it out I will get an electrician ! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
H

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Well :Confused:, whilst at Newbury I bought a new hook up socket as mine had gone an awful creamy colour. Fitted that this morning and all systems are A OK.

Not sure if the old unit was faulty, or had got some water in somewhere, or what?

So, panic over!:thanks2:

OP
OP
H

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hmmm, need to revive this thread as it has just happened again !

Van has been fine for over a year, sod`s law raises it`s ugly head as I am off to Holland tomorrow to work for 2 weeks. Unhooked the van from my workshop supply where I store it, took across to a mate`s garage to give it a wash, bought it home so I could load my pants and tins of beans, plugged it in to get the fridge working and the bloody trip has gone off again! :Doh:

Only thing I have done is to wash the thing, must be some water getting into a connection somewhere, what do you think?

Not looking forward to 2 weeks with no leccy. :cry:

OP
OP
H

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
It was over a year ago, it stands out in all weathers, can`t get my head round it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It was over a year ago, it stands out in all weathers, can`t get my head round it.

I guess the only way to find out is to have it off and check the connections and pins for dampness.
Fridge vents are another common place for water ingress which could drip onto the mains connection on the back of fridge .. especially if you were using a hose for washing.

OP
OP
H

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Before you replied I had a flash of inspiration and took the fridge vent cover off, there is a 2 pin euro type plug sitting just behind the vent for the mains to the fridge. Took the plug out and it was wet through :RollEyes:. Well done Burstner, great place for a plug :Doh:

All sorted now, thanks for the replies. :thumb:

I will sort out a more permanent solution when I get back from my trip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back