wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Thanks for that John I just checked the MH and it`s not on, so a call to KGM tomorrow :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for that John I just checked the MH and it`s not on, so a call to KGM tomorrow :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

if you've just insured/reinsured it may not be on yet...in this world of high speed communications it still takes a few days i believe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
No I renewed it in March so should I be worried, I have got the paper work though,
I will check cos I dont want any aggro:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No I renewed it in March so should I be worried, I have got the paper work though,
I will check cos I dont want any aggro:thumb::thumb::thumb:

worth ringing them in my book.

you will probably be ok as you have the certificate but its a pain getting pulled for nothing you've done wrong.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Interesting thread - have just checked on ours and while it is on the model vehicle it shows is wrong - that in itself could cause Mr Plod to take too much interest. Phone call tomorrow then

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
possibly everyone as learnt something. interesting find that one .
there is alot of info in the public view ,never mind the big brother bit.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
possibly everyone as learnt something. interesting find that one .
there is alot of info in the public view ,never mind the big brother bit.

i believe it was 'pay to view' but now free for your own vehicle :thumb:
though how they can know if its yours or not is anyones guess :winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Got a multibike insurance with NU.. Spent years trying to get all the bikes on the PNC..
NU always said they only put the primary bike on. In the end gave up and went to Carole Nash and they put all the bikes on the database no problem..

Reason for all that squit is cos I got pulled a few times.. Ok it was a pain sometimes ( and sometimes the pulling plod turned out to be nice folk and I actually got two good mates from it ! ) but each time it was a simple case of them making a fone call to confirm details ( with NU )....

So even if your not on the database do not worry or panic.. as long as you know you are insured and know the company you are with all will be well :Smile:

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
Although it would be an irritation to be stopped for doing nothing wrong, as long as you have the Insurance Certificate, Vehicle Registration document and your driving licence to hand then it will be a quick cursory check. The Police use the Automated Number Plate Recognition systems to do on the spot checks and know that these problems occur with the DVLA database so as long as you have the required evidence they will soon be sending you on your way :thumb: The problem is not with the Police it is the delay in getting the information uploaded on to the DVLA systems :Angry:

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Insurance

Just checked our 2 vehicles and they both seem to be on the database thanks
Alan:thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So even if your not on the database do not worry or panic.. as long as you know you are insured and know the company you are with all will be well :Smile:

agreed but its the inconvenience of being stopped and 'interrogated' for something that isnt your fault and should be done automatically but isn't.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
come on pappa nothing better than being stopped when you know you are right you can be pleasantely annoying to them .tell them to go and catch criminals instead of harrasing motorists . get their number name etc make a fuss delay them as much as you can stops them harrasing others . :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Absolutely agree.. But then we do live in a fairly tightly controlled regime so cannot really expect different ( and no, I do not really blame govt.. I blame the poxy terrorists who gave govt's the excuse to keep tabs on us all )

As I get older and am not in such a rush all the time, I do not mind so much getting a tug ( if I know I am righteous ! :Cool: ) ..
But yes, it IS an imposition and with your info ( thank ewe sir ! ) one that can be avoided :thumb:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I have read of one occasion where a couple were stopped in their motorhome (if I remember correctly) which wasn't on the database and they didn't have any paper work. They had it impounded and it caused them considerable hassle. I expect it's rare but these days with all the technology that the 'authorities' have it is worth checking.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its not compulsary for us to carry any form of identity neither is it compulsory for us to carry insurance or driving licence ,mot,s etc .it would be wrong for the police to impound the vehicle if you do show an identity , photo identity is enough . always take their number and name ,vehicle reg etc . best to have some identity as then it cuts out the terrorist bit. always be polite but you can be awkward. there is too much bully boy authority these days stand up and let them know you have had enough .

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
its not compulsary for us to carry any form of identity neither is it compulsory for us to carry insurance or driving licence ,mot,s etc .it would be wrong for the police to impound the vehicle if you do show an identity , photo identity is enough . always take their number and name ,vehicle reg etc . best to have some identity as then it cuts out the terrorist bit. always be polite but you can be awkward. there is too much bully boy authority these days stand up and let them know you have had enough .

the police have the power to impound any vehicle not showing insurance or tax if the driver cant prove otherwise at the time...ie, ringing their insurance company ect.

as far as the police are concerned the vehicle is not insured/taxed and should not be on the road.
you will be charged for recovery and daily storage charges until you collect it and must produce a valid certificate to get it back.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My vehicle was not on the DB when I was with the last company,when I checked with them they didn't seem too bothered,when I said I would bill them the impound fee and any subsequent expenses,it was on within 48 hours!!

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
come on pappa nothing better than being stopped when you know you are right you can be pleasantely annoying to them .tell them to go and catch criminals instead of harrasing motorists . get their number name etc make a fuss delay them as much as you can stops them harrasing others .

I agree, one can have a bit of fun with plod sometimes.
A few years ago, I had been stopped several times in one week. Getting hacked off with this, the last time they decided to stop me, I drove into to the high street of my local city on a Saturday morning. The place was full of shoppers etc. I stopped in the middle of the street, blocking traffic, doors open, I stood by the side of my vehicle assuming the limbs outstretched position beloved of American movies, hands on the roof of the car, the full nine yards. The two young cops were so embarrassed, and with a growing audience decided that this wasn't doing the public image of the police any good at all. Some wag sent a pic of the event to the local paper and I never had any trouble after that.
I've twice been suspected of being a terrorist. I've been poked in the ribs by cops with machine guns in terminal 3 Heathrow and held for 2 hours.

Another incident was during the royal Charles & Di wedding week. I made the mistake of camping up close to one of the local TV masts. Not much fun having the fuzz beating on the door at 3am with explosive-sniffer dogs and guns. Turns out that they suspected I was about to deny a few thousand viewers a chance to watch the wedding !
All good fun.

:Smile:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Wonder if there is way of getting compensation from the insurance company if this did happen since surely it is the reponsibility of the insurance company to get the details stored on the database? Not everyone has access to the internet to check. If this happened I would change insurer pdq.

TandH

Free Member
Jan 7, 2009
Banffshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
2 year
When I check my Mondial it confirms it is on the data base. However it comes up with
Vehicle Make/Model:MCIA CVAN MCIA SCHEME

Not quite sure what that means, would have expected either Peugeot Boxer or Swift Mondial Motorhome or suchlike.

Tom

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I tax all our vehicles online and it always tells me that the insurance & mot details are correct so I presume all ours are on the database. :Smile:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
As above, we do the same BUT got a nasty shock when I went to do one of our cars recently when it said no insurance.

DVLA were right, More Than had screwed up and taken me off the insurance on my main car:Eeek:

Reading this site it says it's the insurance companies responcibility to update within 7 days so I have this saved so I can keep an eye in future:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Tis the MID,
Motor Insurers Database that is used by plod not the DVLA version. that I assume is for the public although they should be the same its more than likely due to DVLA data inputers thats its as inaccurate as their own system
The PNC is not used for any of motoring this data, a separate but simular system is used altogether stemming from the Vosa MOT system, Plod wouldn't let Vosa or DVLA near the PNC:whatthe: Can you blame them:Doh:
Access to this is restricted to the Motor trade , plod, and insurance companies
updates are reqd in a veryshort time period by law on a regular basis on penalty of death:RollEyes:
we motor traders have to update almost weekly to ensure any stock thats taxed and tested is included in case its used on the road
Geo

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
wonder if there is way of getting compensation from the insurance company if this did happen since surely it is the reponsibility of the insurance company to get the details stored on the database? Not everyone has access to the internet to check. If this happened i would change insurer pdq.
i did!

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When I check my Mondial it confirms it is on the data base. However it comes up with
Vehicle Make/Model:MCIA CVAN MCIA SCHEME

Not quite sure what that means, would have expected either Peugeot Boxer or Swift Mondial Motorhome or suchlike.

Tom

just a wild stab......

:MCIA CVAN MCIA SCHEME

Motor caravan insurance association...caravan...motor caravan insurers association scheme.

still doesnt help to identify your van on the database though.:Doh:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Tis the MID,
Motor Insurers Database that is used by plod not the DVLA version. Geo

this is, infact, the MID Geo but on the DVLA website.
click the link and it takes you to the Motor Insurers Database website.

nothing to do with DVLA...just a link. :thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I tax all our vehicles online and it always tells me that the insurance & mot details are correct so I presume all ours are on the database. :Smile:

correct Jill.
if you werent on it for insurance and MOT you couldnt tax online.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back