iPhones could help find MH parking spaces (1 Viewer)

Wikisnoodle

Free Member
May 9, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hi-top
Exp
Since July '08
Are there any iPhone-users amongst you?

Although I am aware of the in-depth info on motorhomeparking.co.uk, I find myself fairly frequently giving UK towns a miss, because I can't find suitable MH parking (not referring to overnighting).

There is an excellent iPhone app called NoseyParker, which gives useful data to car drivers about nearby car parks based on the iPhone's location (eg: number of spaces, disabled facilities, prices etc). I have written asking them whether they could add, height/weight restrictions into that data. The response was that they had had 4 similar requests and were looking into it.

If you think that this would be useful, perhaps you would write to them, via stardotstar.com

danie_jc

Free Member
Sep 5, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
I would even pay the £1.19 for the App if this information was available

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I haven't bought the app just yet, but have emailed them asking them if they are able to include the extra info. Got a reply saying whilst they couldn't promise it would happen, due to no guarantee in been able to obtain the relevant data, but that it was top of the wish list. :thumb:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I had an e-mail 3 weeks ago from another company which markets a rival iphone parking application, asking about availability of height information - and hoping to pick up some from my web site.

Basically the answer is that there is no nationwide database which contains height information.

Most of the information on my web site is as provided by Local Authorities in response to FoI requests and, as a result, the information is textual rather than being held in a spreadsheet/database which might easily integrate into the records these companies have.

Where height restrictions exist they tend to be the same height across the LA area so LAs tend to state the value once and then list (if necessary) which car parks have the restriction. Even at the level of a single LA there are very few spreadsheets/databases in existence because there has never been a need to create them.

One or two councils have copied responses to my requests to the company which provided the database for stardotstar (and I'm all for that because it makes information more easily available) but I'm pretty sure none of those few responses included height restrictions in any spreadsheet/database form.

I'm afraid that height restrictions might be top of the wish lists for the companies involved but, unless they (or the suppliers of their databases) put a lot of effort (i.e. time and money) into the job it's unlikely that the information will be available soon.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back