Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Folks!
Any advice welcome. I am very concerned about my three-way fridge on my 2009 french van since it will run off the 12V even when the engine is off which is obviously a safety issue when pulling into petrol stations if you forget to turn it off! I think it is a british safety standard that 3-way fridges shouldn't not run off 12V when the engine is off but obviously this is a french van bought (second-hand) from a british dealer. Any thoughts? - do vans sold in the UK have to comply regardless of origin or is this another grey area?
Thanks
cellojane

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I do not think there is any safety issue here but as you state the fridge should only run on 12v when the engine is running. Check the relay, if you can find it, sounds like there may not be one fitted.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
cellojane

cellojane

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I do not think there is any safety issue here but as you state the fridge should only run on 12v when the engine is running. Check the relay, if you can find it, sounds like there may not be one fitted.

Rgds
Bill
From What I have been told it is working as it was set up to since this is not considered an issue on the continent. I know some dealers that import foreign vans upspec them to confirm to british standards but I'm unsure whether this is a legal requirement.
cellojane

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The issue is that it will drain your battery very quickly should you forget to switch it off with the engine stopped. Fitting a relay will prevent that happening. It is fairly straightforward though it's a few year since I did this to a car for towing a caravan, same relay though.

rgds
Bill

Biker

Free Member
Apr 10, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
Exp
cool

My Electrolux RM 4505 runs on 12v with the engine of, but only for 15 mins

Maybe yours is the same?

My fridge handbook:

SWITCHING BETWEEN ENERGY
SOURCES
When switching from one energy source to another,
there are some delays implemented in the AES system.
The 15 min. delay between switching off the engine and
starting gas mode is intended to delay the starting of gas
mode e.g. when stopping at a filling station.

OP
OP
cellojane

cellojane

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No it runs the battery flat :Sad:so yes we do have to be careful not to knock the switch particularly when wild camping! Quite a pain and not expected by me on a new vehicle - what were they thinking???:Doh:
Our bigger issue is the sparking when starting up the fridge when coming into petrol stations though particularly since it is often when the kids want to open fridge to get at food and drink en route and are therefore presumably likely to set it going again and therefore create the spark!!
cellojane

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
No it runs the battery flat :Sad:so yes we do have to be careful not to knock the switch particularly when wild camping! Quite a pain and not expected by me on a new vehicle - what were they thinking???:Doh:
Our bigger issue is the sparking when starting up the fridge when coming into petrol stations though particularly since it is often when the kids want to open fridge to get at food and drink en route :Eeek:and are therefore presumably likely to set it going again and therefore create the spark!!
cellojane

I think the kids walking about en route may be a bigger issue than a flat battery.:Sad:

Don't let plod see them, and hopefully, you won't be needing an ambulance for them either.

OP
OP
cellojane

cellojane

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think the kids walking about en route may be a bigger issue than a flat battery.:Sad:

Don't let plod see them, and hopefully, you won't be needing an ambulance for them either.

No sorry maybe I wasn't clear - they go to fridge when we stop at petrol station not on the move!

janner

Free Member
Mar 4, 2010
MENDIP Hills
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
3 Years
just a thought I have a Thetford Fridge in my Swift Bolero & in hand book it tells you that because of regulations at fuel stations with the fridge set on Auto Energy Supply it will continue to run for 15 mins on 12 volt so as not to ignite the gas which is the default setting on Auto Supply:Smile::Smile:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
When running on 12 volts there is no risk of explosion as the electric is running the fridge and not the gas.

Doesnt solve the problem of the flat battery though

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Our bigger issue is the sparking when starting up the fridge when coming into petrol stations though particularly since it is often when the kids want to open fridge to get at food and drink en route and are therefore presumably likely to set it going again and therefore create the spark!!
cellojane

Hi, you shouldn't need to start the fridge on GAS or even try whilst in a Petrol station, A fridge should hold its temperature for the short while you are stationary. I also agree with Bill its a simple matter to conect a relay in the ignition circuit then intercept the 12 volt feed to the fridge and use the contacts of the relay. The relay coil can be small to connect into the warning light circuit or similar but ensure the contacts are of a size to take a higher current.That way you dont flatten the battery whilst the ignition is off.Just use the gas or mains electric.

Brian

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
just a thought I have a Thetford Fridge in my Swift Bolero & in hand book it tells you that because of regulations at fuel stations with the fridge set on Auto Energy Supply it will continue to run for 15 mins on 12 volt so as not to ignite the gas which is the default setting on Auto Supply:Smile::Smile:

Just to confuse slightly, my RV has only 240v ac or LPG on auto energy supply, so when on the move I am on Gas.

Brian

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
these threads may be confusing the OP.

we need to know what kind of power source selectro is on their fridge,

if it's manual, i.e. you have to select 240, 12 volts or gas, then the fridge should not run on 12 volts once the engine is stopped,

however if it is an automatic energy selector fridge, then what it's doing is normal, as others have said, it will run on 12 volts when the engine is running, when you stop, it will continue to do so for 15 minutes, after that it will switch over to gas, and will go to mains when you plug in.

the 15 minute delay is as mentioned for safety, so the fridge isnt starting up on gas whilst you are re-fueling.

Mrs Bear

Free Member
Jun 21, 2010
Funster No
Three way fridge

We had a similar problem with our S3 which resulted in the fridge totally discharging the battery. The problem was identified to a loose connection, but I am not sure where.

Now our fridge automatically switches off from the 12v when the engine is off as it should do.

Suggest you get it checked out

Vicky

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We had a Flash 03 and it would not run on 12v when the engine was off. Unless you have an AES fridge which will continue on 12v if selected on the dial.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if I've got the order right these auto select fridges will run on 12v with the engine running (and the 15min refuelling delay when turned off) then switch to 230v if available or gas if no 230v.(hence the 15 min delay)

230v will always take priority over gas on hookup and the gas should never light unless its selected manually on hookup.

the older fridges will only run on 12v with the engine running and will turn of with the ignition key then manually select gas or 230v regardless of being on hookup.

if I'm wrong then someone will tell me for sure :roflmto:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
I dont think this is correct my fridge only runs on 12v when engine running and i thought this was the case with all vans ? Problem with a relay me thinks ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I dont think this is correct my fridge only runs on 12v when engine running and i thought this was the case with all vans ? Problem with a relay me thinks ?

easiest way to find out is run on the engine then switch engine off, wait 15 mins and see if the gas lights.

i too had not heard of the 15 min delay but it makes sense.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back