Best route to Portsmouth, opinions please ? (1 Viewer)

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
Can anyone suggest the best route from Chester to Portsmouth please.
We normally cross the channel via the Eurotunnel, but this time we intend to sail from Portsmouth to Caen ( Ouistreham ) and give the M1 & M25 a miss for a change.
Cheers, Denny.

OP
OP
D

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
Thanks for the advise, a friend suggested using the M5 from Birmingham which we were not convinced about. Your route concurs with AA Routemaster and sounds better.
Cheers,
Denny :thumb: :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
Chester - Portsmouth P&O Fery terminal

Route 1 - 231 Miles, 3.5 Hours

A41, M54, M6, M42, M40, A34, M3, M27

Route 2 - 234 Miles, 3.75 Hours

A41, M6, M5 (Jct 11A), A417, A419, M4, A34, M3, M27

Personally, I would suggest Route 2. Although the M6/M5 interchange at Jct 8 can be slow (when isn't it ?) the rest of the route is pretty easy. The A417 and A419 merge in to each other without you noticing and are primarily dual cariageway all the way to the M4 joining at Jct 15 (Swindon). Ferry terminal is well signposted from M27.

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks for the advise, a friend suggested using the M5 from Birmingham which we were not convinced about. Your route concurs with AA Routemaster and sounds better.
Cheers,
Denny :thumb: :Cool:
I would wholeheartedly agree with the latter end of the journey. We use the A34 all the time and since the new under-pass for the M4, the A34 keeps moving. I've never been delayed on it yet.

OP
OP
D

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
Many thanks for all your help. it's an area we are not familiar with.
I just hope we have a smooth crossing, we started using the Eurotunnel after a particularly bad four and a half hour trip from Calais to Dover.......... We said "never again", but one should never say never !
We'll let you know.
Cheers,
Denny. :thumb: :Cool:

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We regularly cross from St Malo to Portsmouth, which is a day sailing, and return one of the Portsmouth to Caen day sailings. We would not be tempted back to using the short crossings because we live in Brittany. The road journey to Calais is so long and on such busy roads that, together with the longish drive to Hampshire, it is not a pleasant journey. We've done it once, and that was enough!

We enjoy having our day cabin so that we can rest in peace (during the summer it can get pretty frantic in the public rooms). The St Malo crossing is our favourite because the "Bretagne" ferry which serves that route, has a really excellent restaurant. Best value around, and much better value than the self-service.

The ships on the Caen crossing are very nice, too, but the restaurants are not as good. If you haven't booked a day cabin, I strongly recommend that you do so. It is worth every penny of the small amount that they charge. Go for a 4 berth outside cabin as we do. My wife and I can then have a lower berth each! :Smile:

The ships are large and have powerful stabilisers. It needs a pretty big sea to make the trip uncomfortable and the crossing is quite short. I hope you enjoy the trip.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back