Help please!! (1 Viewer)

M and M

Free Member
May 12, 2010
kent
Funster No
MH
Yank RV
:thumb: Hello all you fellow motorhomers. I could really use some help. In the summer I want to try a new route through France to Spain. I have always travelled using the Peage, but I am sure there must be a route that takes me through the countryside, on good roads, with no payment. BUT, I want to avoid Paris at all costs. I would also appreciate any recommendations for stopover sites en-route. I want to get to the Figueres area of Spain. Thanks in anticipation.:roflmto:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
to avoid paris go either calais, abbyville, rouen, chartres, or round the far side calais, reims, troyes. There are usually good roads more or less following the major routes, its a question of time and what seanery you want, if you have a sat nav set it for no tolls if it wants to take you onto a toll road it will ask/tell you first (well mine does). you have a choice from the atlantic side down to bordeaux, the A20 route through limoges or the a71/75 through millau or on the far side through reims you can follow the route of A7 there are roads running alongside

Hi and welcome to Fun

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
France/Spain

HI M & M Try the search bar at the top of the page I am certain you will find something there.
Peter.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
MnM, a very warm welcome to this asylum - at least it should be more restful than the one you've left!!

Sorry, I've driven tens of thousands of Ks through France, but I've always simply done what the nav ( or the Senior Partner) tells me, so I can't help with actual routes.

It's just a very simple question of a change of philosopy.

If you are in a car, and you want or need to get to a destination, it's peage. Yes, the cost adds up, but they're quick, easy and in most places uncrowded, even though usually only two lane, and the scenery is magnificent.

In a Motorhome, the journey can be as much part of the fun as the destination. The pace of life in rural France is much slower, and you can relax and share it. Stop off and play a game of boules - they always have fun knocking the English, so that's like at home - go to supermarkets and tiny fish shops, bakers, wine shops, vinyards. Stop and look at a castle or a church you've never heard of, you'll never see again, but you'll remember that funny old lady with the dog in 5 years time when you see the photo.

Motorhoming isn't just about arriving!!

PS Remember the peage varies with your vehicle's height - check first.

JQL

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
South of Paris
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Set your Sat Nav to "Avoid Motorways" and it should route you through Rouen thus avoiding Paris.

I did this a couple of years ago and it was a great run (even in a 30' RV) through towns and villages with the odd dual carriageway.

Watch out for Prioritie a Droite though!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
all the way to the south of france via 'N' roads with one toll at the millua viaduct.

as chatter said....north of paris, reims, troyes and eventually the A75 all the way for free (except millua)

most of the major N roads follow the route of the toll roads anyway.....just slower.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
MnM, a very warm welcome to this asylum - at least it should be more restful than the one you've left!!

Sorry, I've driven tens of thousands of Ks through France, but I've always simply done what the nav ( or the Senior Partner) tells me, so I can't help with actual routes.

It's just a very simple question of a change of philosopy.

If you are in a car, and you want or need to get to a destination, it's peage. Yes, the cost adds up, but they're quick, easy and in most places uncrowded, even though usually only two lane, and the scenery is magnificent.

In a Motorhome, the journey can be as much part of the fun as the destination. The pace of life in rural France is much slower, and you can relax and share it. Stop off and play a game of boules - they always have fun knocking the English, so that's like at home - go to supermarkets and tiny fish shops, bakers, wine shops, vinyards. Stop and look at a castle or a church you've never heard of, you'll never see again, but you'll remember that funny old lady with the dog in 5 years time when you see the photo.

Motorhoming isn't just about arriving!!

PS Remember the peage varies with your vehicle's height - check first.

agreed.....your holiday starts when your engine starts, not when you get to you destination.:thumb:
we took a leisurely 4 days to get to Barcellona.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
This is a french autoroute system it will give you a suggested route it you put in start , finish and any stops on route. It is the english translation version i have posted so easily understood

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back