Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Well, here we are, setting off Saturday morning from NW England to catch the 1830 Dover-Calais SeaFrance crossing.

Euros bought, Saga Platinum Credit Card ready to go. Small document case with two passports, one pet passport, two driving licences, one insurance certificate, one MOT, one Registration Document, Ferry Tickets (reference anyway), breakdown insurance.
Plenty of gas, ACSI Camping Card book ready, card signed, all French sites loaded onto SatNav as POIs.

Been planning this for months and months, but still got that uncomfortable feeling something is forgotten.

Watching the weather on Meteo.fr with a little disappointment, surely it will brighten up soon?

Hope to arrive early enough at Western Docks to be bumped up to an earlier crossing. Wonder what our chances are on a Saturday?

Pleased with price of Channel Crossing but have been watching the Forum for concerns about the viability of SeaFrance. Will be well hacked off if they go to the wall now!

Guess the mad rush to return the grounded flyers a few weeks ago may have increased their profitability.

I am sure the 16 days will be over in a flash.

Steve

don

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
hingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
We have used sea france quite a few times using a carnet ticket, very pleased with the total package.:Smile:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
don't forget to enjoy it all, we love it in France (see below).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Have you got your Yellow High Viz Vests, set spare bulbs, warning triangle, beam benders (I must admit I don`t always bother with thses or just carry them) Health Cards - not vital.
Take your vans keycard if you have one.
Have a good trip!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Well, here we are, setting off Saturday morning from NW England to catch the 1830 Dover-Calais SeaFrance crossing.

Euros bought, Saga Platinum Credit Card ready to go. Small document case with two passports, one pet passport, two driving licences, one insurance certificate, one MOT, one Registration Document, Ferry Tickets (reference anyway), breakdown insurance.
Plenty of gas, ACSI Camping Card book ready, card signed, all French sites loaded onto SatNav as POIs.

Been planning this for months and months, but still got that uncomfortable feeling something is forgotten.

Watching the weather on Meteo.fr with a little disappointment, surely it will brighten up soon?

Hope to arrive early enough at Western Docks to be bumped up to an earlier crossing. Wonder what our chances are on a Saturday?

Pleased with price of Channel Crossing but have been watching the Forum for concerns about the viability of SeaFrance. Will be well hacked off if they go to the wall now!

Guess the mad rush to return the grounded flyers a few weeks ago may have increased their profitability.

I am sure the 16 days will be over in a flash.

Steve

Hi Steve ...we are setting off from pas de Calais Sunday /Monday to go around Brittany for 4 weeks... starting in southern Brittany working around to the northern parts of Brittany then back into Normandy and home.......so if that is on your route look out for us and say Hello.

Just come back two weeks ago from 3 weeks in the mid France going east into Rhone-alps then back home...it was hot weather so hoping for some more good weather.

Mel:thumb:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Don't forget to copy every document and keep them seperate just in case. Another good tip is to scan them into your puter then e-mail them to yourself. This will allow you to go to an internet cafe and retrieve them in the case of an emergency.

Above all have fun.:thumb:

We are going under on Friday on noon train, metz, lzern then Lake Garda. Hope the weather bucks up or we may have to change our destination.

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Have you got your Yellow High Viz Vests, set spare bulbs, warning triangle, beam benders (I must admit I don`t always bother with thses or just carry them) Health Cards - not vital.
Take your vans keycard if you have one.
Have a good trip!
Good point,Warwick!

Have everything you listed except beam benders - which we really should have bought but never mind.

Although this is our first Motorhome trip to France, we are fairly well seasoned motorists in France and (tempting Providence) have never been pulled up for any reason.

Steve

Last edited:

drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Get your beam benders fitted there are reports that the French police will pull you over if there not fitted even during the day.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Don't forget to copy every document and keep them seperate just in case. Another good tip is to scan them into your puter then e-mail them to yourself. This will allow you to go to an internet cafe and retrieve them in the case of an emergency.

Above all have fun.:thumb:

We are going under on Friday on noon train, metz, lzern then Lake Garda. Hope the weather bucks up or we may have to change our destination.

Great tip, emailing them...thanks never thought of that. :thumb:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs

Steve

Word off advice> DON'T carry all your documents in one case!! If it is stolen (as happened to a friend whilst at a service station in Spain) you will have lost everything!! good luck and enjoy the trip!

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Picked up MH from storage facility on my way home from work today. Caught a quick glance of myself in the mirror - some chap there wearing a tie! That was a first. Quickly removed (along with other work-wear) when I got home, and now in full holiday mood!

Felt guilty about the beam adjusters so bought a set from Halfords this morning. Will hopefully fit whilst in the ferry queue tomorrow. Looks liks a good profit margin to me, though. Still, following sound advice from others, I would have really been angry with myself had I incurred the wrath of the Gendarmerie.

Hopefully, with a little bit of WiFi I will report our progress.

Steve

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Get your beam benders fitted there are reports that the French police will pull you over if there not fitted even during the day.

Dont bother. Just drive around always between 12 and 3pm. Everyone in France including the cops is at lunch for hours. We saw some the other day at a Market buying a stack of chinese food which they took back to the police station, no doubt for a three hour feast and a snooze.

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
There is usually a shop at the ferry terminals where you can buy the emergency kit you may have overlooked (High Vis vests, spare bulb kits, warning triangles (2 required), beam benders etc.

If you use 'Pay as you Go' mobiles top up before you go.

Just enjoy :thumb:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
gendarmes fine you for not having beam benders even during the day ?

please explain how the gendarmerie are going to ascertain whether or not you need them if it is daylight ?

many modern vehicles now have flat topped beams , no beam benders necessary !

drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp

please explain how the gendarmerie are going to ascertain whether or not you need them if it is daylight ?

Really can't remember where I read it just remember it from somewhere.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
my granny told me not to believe anything you read , and only half of what you see !

she must have caught me with the daily mail !

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must say some must have lots to spend .have never had health insurance for abroad d1 11now health card yes. probably couldnt go away if i had to get ins for 6mths trips.
as for beam benders never had any of them either .have got some yellow stuff to put on your lenses never used either. if stopped stick abit of black tape on ,then remove as soon as possible if you have plastic lenses.
do carry lots reflective vests get em from builders .triangles two of.
fire extinguishers yes.
first aid kit ok if you know what to do.
durex always good for carrying water ,ha ha or beer .

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
the reason health insurance companies insist on you having a EHIC is because the government will pay out instead of them for your medical treatment

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008

How are you going to explain the the Gendarmerie that you have flat top beams?::bigsmile:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We've done many a trip without bending our beams ::bigsmile:

And never driven I night I hope.:winky: I hope I never meet you in France coming the other way with your lights on!:Eeek:
Try this, park facing the oncoming traffic at night, put your lights on dipped beam and then stand on the right side of the road facing your M/Home. What can you see?:Cool:

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
And never driven I night I hope.:winky: I hope I never meet you in France coming the other way with your lights on!:Eeek:
Try this, park facing the oncoming traffic at night, put your lights on dipped beam and then stand on the right side of the road facing your M/Home. What can you see?:Cool:

LOL! Of course NOT at night :ROFLMAO:
We were so knackered after the day's drive, we always stopped by late afternoon :thumb: specially if I had a say in it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back