Older style Freighter 600 Trailer conversion help needed (1 Viewer)

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Can anyone advise please ... we had this trailer as part of the deal when we purchased our new to us m/h recently, it is the older style trailer with a roller door coming down to the bottom, no vents of any sort... my thought is that if we can get ventilation into it we could bring our two gsd dogs to the meets - as there would be no kennel fees it would let us attend more often...yippee

My question is has anyone done this already? if so what did they use and where was it purchased from, this is needed urgently as we are at Newbury and need to get the dogs comfortable with this before then...

Yes our dogs could travel in the m/h supposedly, but they do lose so much hair :Doh::Doh::Doh:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My cat travels everywhere with me in the motorhome...so you get some hair in there....get the hoover out and a stiff brush...would you put your children in a trailer behind your motorhome???.:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Jim uses a trailer for his pooch.

dont know much about it apart from its divided into kennel and cargo with, i think, power ventilation. electric fans to me and thee ::bigsmile:

if i remember correctly its around 5ft wide, 6ft long and 5 or 6ft high....aluminium bodied with double rear doors and appears very strong.

looks a very expensive bit of kit though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
My cat travels everywhere with me in the motorhome...so you get some hair in there....get the hoover out and a stiff brush...would you put your children in a trailer behind your motorhome???.:Doh:

Thank you for your comment, but two large german shepherd dogs is no comparison to a cat which the latter could sit easily on a persons knee or in a small travelling crate IMHO also i am not talking about some hair but the canine can lose a vast diff to a cat lol ... I am a dog person so hair loss does not worry me, but their safety is an issue.. thank you for your input

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09

Wow I am shattered at your comment, how can you compare two german shepherds in a m/h to a feline?? hair .... that doesnt bother me i am a dog person, their safety travelling concerns me far more as it should you as an animal carer ... this is a new venture for my dogs, or was... I dont think it may be worth the bother or criticism perhaps putting them in kennels is the best place :Blush:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Wow I am shattered at your comment, how can you compare two german shepherds in a m/h to a feline?? hair .... that doesnt bother me i am a dog person, their safety travelling concerns me far more as it should you as an animal carer ... this is a new venture for my dogs, or was... I dont think it may be worth the bother or criticism perhaps putting them in kennels is the best place :Blush:
Have you seen how trailers bounce around behind a motorhome,would you realy want 2 German shepherds subjected to that trauma in the dark,without there owner to comfort them.Why do you think they put safety chains or breakaway chains on trailers?.

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
Cruelty?

Have you seen how trailers bounce around behind a motorhome,would you realy want 2 German shepherds subjected to that trauma in the dark,without there owner to comfort them.Why do you think they put safety chains or breakaway chains on trailers?.

Ever noticed how they transport horses?

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Provided it has ventilation, some natural light and bedding I can't see an issue ..

here is a site to give you some ideas on conversion

Link Removed

Thank you Jim, I couldnt recall find this Companys name... I have purchased some things off them in the past:thumb:

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
Bravery?

I wonder if its possible to get one of those for SWMBO :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim
:winky:

Probably is, but how are you going to get SWMBO into it?
Might manage to trick her into it once, but will you survive letting her out or getting her in a second time? (You were going to let her out again . . . weren't you?)

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thats a point, how can she make the tea when she's locked in the trailer. I need too rethink that one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Jim

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Thats a point, how can she make the tea when she's locked in the trailer. I need too rethink that one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Jim

Fit a mini kitchen in the trailer with a letterbox type serving hatch so she can pass out the scran and brews when they are ready :thumb::thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Seriously though i cant see a problem with putting the dogs in the trailer. As for ventilation you see these on police dog vans so they must be ok

Link Removed

Or just cut a couple of holes in the side of the trailer and put one of these over it.

Link Removed

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I went to a dog show couple of years back when my mate was showing his ridgeback, plenty of those dog trailers there, so I can't see a problem.

Olley

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Blimey! Kath is taking the doghouse with her - Good luck John we'll be thinking of you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Kath, aluminum vents on the top and bottom of the sidewalls with sliding Map vents inside. The roof will probably need insulating to stop the box overheating. A false floor could be fitted to allow some separate storage space. Anchor points fitted to the floor for attaching to the dogs harness. must be a 4 wheel trailer if dogs are to travel inside. Add a Mesh with door inside the roller shutter.
Jim travels with rocky in the RV, he then uses the trailer once on site. In the motorhome or trailer the dogs must have harnesses. If you have problems bring it down to me and I'll do the alterations for you. No problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back