Where to go? Any ideas please? (1 Viewer)

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi Everyone

As some of you may know we are in the process of looking to buy a second hand MH. So far we have been to Brownhills in Newark a few times and Camper UK in Lincoln. We have a short list of the MH's that tick the boxes for us but have yet to see some of them in the flesh so to speak, they seem to match our requirements but until we see them obviously we don't know for sure.

We live in Lincoln and would like to combine a day looking at MH's with a night away somewhere. We don't really want to be travelling more than lets say 2 - 3 hrs from Lincoln (not bothered about which direction we go). I wandered if anyone can suggest any MH dealers that might be worth going to see please?

:Smile:
Thanks
Shell

kennygd

Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
:Smile: Hello Shell,
That was my biggest problem, finding a dealer within a reasonable distance, took me months to sort out the type of motorhome I wanted, if you are on the internet that is the best place to look for dealers within your travelling range, don't get befuddled by all the different makes, make a list of all the things you want in the motorhome and a rough size and how much you are going to use it, it will save you a lot of time, lots of people on here will tell you about their motorhomes to give you an idea, I ended up with a 6 wheeler, kennygd
Ken:thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Seeples innit !

Look no further than Johns Cross Motorhomes ! He is a member on this site!!..It's a bit further than you want, but you get what you pay for !!!....Stephen..:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
what to buy

hi there, we have our m/home for sale if you fancy buying private, we live near winchester, an autocruise starfife, 1999, 25 k , better than mint, tow bar and drive away awning,, 15500, 07827916227 if you would like info.. dont mean to be rude, but if i dont say you wont know,, regards and good luck,, Barry:thumb:

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Thanks Froghopper but we are looking for one with a u shaped lounge x

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
If you positioned yourself kind of Chesterfield-ish area, you could easily do Lowdham's, David Fullers, South Yorkshire Motorhomes and Caravans, Oak Tree Motorhomes and Danum Leisure over a couple of days. They all tend to have reasonable stock levels, IME. Someone else will probably come along and mention somewhere else that's within striking distance too as there's somewhere niggling at the back of my brain that I've forgotten!

ETA I made a list of all the ones I'd found with a rear lounge (before I changed my mind and decided I'd probably prefer a garage and bunk beds!) - would you like me to PM it to you to compare or have you got more than enough to think about already?!

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi White Rose

Yes that would be great thankyou, the more help the better lol and it would be great to compare with our list.

Shell

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
There is a motorhome company called SMC near Newark not far from Brownhills, we nearly bought our autosleeper from them, but then we bought private

Sooty 10

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Nelson, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
c Class
Exp
Since 1999.
If it is any help, we bought our Autocruise from South Yorkshire Caravans and have had great after sales service.

Sooty

Eddie B

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
8 months
I can recommend Danum Leisure at Doncaster where I have recently purchased my Bessacarr. This after 8 months of hell from Brownhills which could have put me off motorhoming for life. They will not honour any promises without litigation. Any other company would be preferable. Thanks to Danum I am now having a fantastic time (4 holidays already since end of march).
Enjoy your purchasing and choose a recommended supplier, the guys and gals on this site will help. :thumb:

Last edited:

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
We bought ours privately after looking for many months and found one that was in very good condition with many extras thrown in and at a good price.

We looked at many dealers who either did not have what we were looking for or were not up to the standard we were looking for for the money we were going to pay.

We have had ours now for nearly 2 years and it is one of the best things we have ever bought and we try to get away every second week brilliant :thumb::thumb::thumb:

The only thing i can say is be very carefull it can be very expensive mistake if you get a bad one.

billy

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
Though we bought our MH from a dealer I would definitely buy private next time.
However, if you want dealers Preston seems a good place with Todds, Campbells and Marquis all within a couple of miles of each other.
You have stop over options of the Ribble Valley or the seaside - Southport or Blackpool.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I can recommend Danum Leisure at Doncaster where I have recently purchased my Bessacarr. This after 8 months of hell from Brownhills which could have put me off motorhoming for life. They will not honour any promises without litigation. Any other company would be preferable. Thanks to Danum I am now having a fantastic time (4 holidays already since end of march).
Enjoy your purchasing and choose a recommended supplier, the guys and gals on this site will help. :thumb:

We bought ours from here too. Only had 1 problem.
(so far hopefully no more:thumb:)
With the fridge. It stopped working first time out , on a week away.
Luckily it was over the new year when it was -6 !!
We took it back and they had an engineer out who replaced all the bits at the back , no charge.

No smelly well used battered MH at this place.
( some MH we'd seen else where were shocking :Eeek:)

They gave us what we wanted px for our caravan too. The MH was also cheaper than the same model we'd seen elsewhere , in dealerships and on line.
It had 1 previous owner who bought it from there originally , and full service history.
We will be looking there again when we px/downsize?, and now Johns Cross as hes always on here so he must be good :winky:
Bev

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
have a look around for dealers online, see the places where they have a few around one area. Book a travel lodge in the middle, and make a weekend of it!:thumb:

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi Everyone

I just wanted to say a big thankyou to you all for the replies and advice you have given. We have a list of all the dealers we would like to visit now, although after looking on their websites I think there is only a couple who have certain ones from our shortlist lol so we will check before we go :Smile:

Shell

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
if you fancy a trip to doncaster, you can try my scout for size, its not for sale but it may help you decide,

Im only 5 mins from the dome

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Hi Everyone

I just wanted to say a big thankyou to you all for the replies and advice you have given. We have a list of all the dealers we would like to visit now, although after looking on their websites I think there is only a couple who have certain ones from our shortlist lol so we will check before we go :Smile:

Shell

From recent experience, don't get too caught up in what's on the website. I've been told by a couple of different dealers that demand is really high and much of the used stuff is not actually making it onto their websites. I know there's an element of "they would say that, wouldn't they" but it does seem to be borne out in reality on visiting them. Might be worth calling the dealers who don't appear to have the right vans in stock too.

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
if you fancy a trip to doncaster, you can try my scout for size, its not for sale but it may help you decide,

Im only 5 mins from the dome

Thankyou so much that is very kind of you, not planning on Doncaster this time but at some point we might and may be in touch with you, once again thanks for your kind offer :Smile:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Thankyou so much that is very kind of you, not planning on Doncaster this time but at some point we might and may be in touch with you, once again thanks for your kind offer :Smile:

No problem, your welcome anytime................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back