Water Ingress (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
i have just noticed a small patch of water ingress in the nearside rear top corner at cupboard level and just below i know ther is a join in the roof ,covered with a strip around this area i intend to strip this and reseal any great words of wisdom and advise on making a first class job and where else could be the source???
Thanks

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If the join is below the damp in the cupboard it is unlikely to be the cause of the leak, water always travels downwards.

Peter

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for that
My poor pronunciation has confused this , sorry.The roof join is accross the roof ,higher up obviously than the cupboard level
Thanks again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
unscrew the strip and gently lift off - it will be messy - have a stanley knife with you to cut off and 'stringy' bits whilst pulling away. DO NOT BEND - just use gentle pressure.

Once that is done, you will need to clean the area thoroughly of all sealer. You can use some thinners/white spirit on a cloth.

Now you have to have a good look at the panels where they join. If water is getting in, the seal between them has been breached. This will need gentle prising up, clearing out and resealing with fresh sealer.

USE NON DRYING BEDDING SEALER. It is around £2 for a large tube, from your caravan/motorhome/camping dealer.

Once you have resealed the join on the panels, check to make sure evewrything is clean, including the ally strip. Put a good bead of sealer on the strip, and push a screw through to guide you into its' spot.

Screw down evenly, little by little. Sealer will ooze out the sides - don't worry about this.

Right - the important bit! DO NOT TIGHTEN DOWN. Leave the screws half in, and walk away for the afternoon. Just let it semi- settle. A tacky skin will form on the outside of the sealer. Once this is done, you can tighten down. It just stops you tightening to an extent where you push all the sealer out that is all!

If in doubt, get someone in - when dealing with water ingress, you do not want to make it worse. Use the wrong sealer, or don't re-seal properly and you will.

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
Bung some sealer down the screw holes and under the head of the screw as well, a favourite place for water ingress.

hallii

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
after researching i'm inclined to think that this join in the roof is probably the culprit,it seems a fairly common problem ,i can't see anywhere else it could be coming in ? once i have sorted the seam out i intend to use the preformed mastic strip to bed the strip that covers the seam is that a good idea or not?
Thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
i intend to use the preformed mastic strip to bed the strip that covers the seam is that a good idea or not?
Thanks

It's a less messy option but personally I prefer applying the mastic from a tube, then you can be sure it has penetrated the joint .. white spirit will remove any excess that is squirted out and from your hands ..

The stuff to look for is Caraflex IDL non setting mastic

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It's a less messy option but personally I prefer applying the mastic from a tube, then you can be sure it has penetrated the joint .. white spirit will remove any excess that is squirted out and from your hands ..

The stuff to look for is Caraflex IDL non setting mastic

This is the stuff £1-99p but expensive buying it on line unless you have other things to cut down the overall postage cost as its heavy.

IDL Non Drying Sealant

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
ok i agree its more messy but if its better i don't mind the mess .will this be ok to put under the decoritive trim (the bit that screws down over the roof joint?)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back