LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I was suprized on the cost of a hab service, £180 plus vat plus parts if needed, is this about right (main dealer)

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Ring him he is mobile and he may be in your area soon. :Smile:

I'll do that nowt to loose

The £180 +vat quoter was to go back to autotrail and have it done there, I just wonderd what the going rate was, I wasnt impressed by the place that did it last year so its not going there this year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I had a Hab, check done by Brownhills once, biggest rip of ever, I have not had one done since,I watched them do it at Stratford Show I do my own damp checks and when something breaks I fix it or get it fixed, works for me.:thumb::thumb:Makes the van hard to sell, without bits of paper I hear you say ,well I have no intention of selling in the near future and I will worry about that when the time comes, as for warranty, well my van is now past that,so no worries.:thumb::thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

The £180 +vat quoter was to go back to autotrail and have it done there, I just wonderd what the going rate was, I wasnt impressed by the place that did it last year so its not going there this year.

For comparison my Main Dealer rates are:
(Mark (CLS) charges less than us)

SERVICE CHARGES
Motorhome Habitation service £135.00 + vat
Mechanical service £145.00 + vat
Single axle caravans £160.00 + vat
Double axle caravans £180.00 + vat
Please note that service prices do not include parts.

Labour charges
Motorcaravan and caravan hourly rate £42.00 + vat
Mechanical hourly rate £48.00 + vat

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I had a Hab, check done by Brownhills once, biggest rip of ever, I have not had one done since,I watched them do it at Stratford Show I do my own damp checks and when something breaks I fix it or get it fixed, works for me.:thumb::thumb:Makes the van hard to sell, without bits of paper I hear you say ,well I have no intention of selling in the near future and I will worry about that when the time comes, as for warranty, well my van is now past that,so no worries.:thumb::thumb:

I was like that with my old caravan, not a lot of value in it so I did it myself, but now with the m/h I like to have the bits of paper, just in case I need to sell it, as you say it makes it harder, I just want value for money, last year I felt there wasnt a good job done and I was let down with timings, it seems a dealer (static) is around £135+ symh & caravans are fairly close to me if cls cant do it for me, I might go there.

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No

Just picked up my new Autotrail and looked at First Service and Habitation Costs - Service £229.00 (VAT incl) Hab Service £199 (VAT Incl)

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
syc do a winter special £115
just had our swift in to lowdams huddersfield .they ask for you permission to spend up to £40 to save phoning you if a bulb is not working .said to phone me first.
when i went to pick up i got a bill for £12 .50 .for putting a gas warning sticker on locker
the sticker had come of over the past year i had forgot it was not there .1/4 hour labour plus sticker charged .its not going back next year hoping mobile man can do it.

QUOTE=sebthegecko;284452]I was like that with my old caravan, not a lot of value in it so I did it myself, but now with the m/h I like to have the bits of paper, just in case I need to sell it, as you say it makes it harder, I just want value for money, last year I felt there wasnt a good job done and I was let down with timings, it seems a dealer (static) is around £135+ symh & caravans are fairly close to me if cls cant do it for me, I might go there.[/QUOTE]

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
Habitation service

I had a Hab, check done by Brownhills once, biggest rip of ever,

Like you, I felt that too. Also an incredibly inefficient setup -arrived at 8
am for prebooked service - didn't get left till 5,30pm

Having it done for half the price at Hymer factory in Germany this year.

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Can someone please tell me EXACTLY what is involved in one of these Habitation Checks? Judging by the skill levels that I have encountered in most of the garage trades, I cannot think that it can be a very complex thing to do.:Smile:

The most important thing that I recently had performed on my 1992 Hymer was an inspection by Bureau Veritas in France as part of the procedure to import a British registered vehicle. They tested everywhere for gas leaks and had a quick look at the electrical system. They also checked the battery type and stowage, together with ventilation provision. That was it. I checked water and waste systems myself and had a good look at the roof and possible leak points.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
I was suprized on the cost of a hab service, £180 plus vat plus parts if needed, is this about right (main dealer)

Prob no good to you unless you can tie it in with a weekend away somewere but another funster reccomended to me "C and S near burnley (they are NCC approved) they quoted me £100 for hab and internal service so I am booking mine in there next few weeks.

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
Had hab and sevice done at B/hills, lots of money, so next year had Hab check done by Mark at CLS, Mark found Damp I contacted B/Hills and told them what had been found they insisted on having a look themselves so I drove it to Newark, they took a look and said they could find nothing, out came the Hab sheet from Mark, B/hills ended up doing £2,500 of work on the van, all sorted.
Mark comes highly recommended from us!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back