Where to buy non breakable crockery (1 Viewer)

FrCrilly

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Funster No
Hi All,

I’ve just bought my first motorhome and need to stock it with non breakable crockery (plates, bowls, cups and glasses). Any suggestions on where to look? (I’m based in Ireland). Also, any suggestions on special items to buy (eg anti break glass holders).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance for all responses.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello there, sorry don't know how the camping shops are in Ireland but most camping shops sell them. HOWEVER, if you can wait until you go to one of the Rallies or meets then the stalls there usually have a really good selection, including the glasses that you mention.

Don't make the mistake I made of buying the first ones you see and then you see some really nice ones to match your motorhome!!!!

Welcome by the way to the motorhome pastime:thumb:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
modern melamine is unbreakable and available at most of the motorhome shows.
or here
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Sorry but i just use proper stuff, cant stand drinking from a plastic cup i have had caravans and my present style of unit for many years and havent actually broken anything crockery wise in the van whilst on the move or while im using them, and we have been all over europe with the units.
I dont see the point of spending £20 for plastic stuff when you can buy a cheap 4 place set of crockery for around £8 at a supermarket.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
google towsure they will have all your questions answered in their catalogue.
cheers alan.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't know if you have them in Ireland but pound shops usually have loads in
terry

Upvote 0
M

madcow

Deleted User
Corelle is the only thing to buy!

Hi,

We first bought melamine:RollEyes: plates but it really is not the same eating off of these. We have just discovered and changed to Corelle which is unbreakable toughened glass. It is amazing and stacks really flat. In my opinion it is the only thing to have. It is an American thing and can be bought from Link Removed

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
as its coming up to summer your local supermarket should have loads of unbreakable crockery and picnic items.

Sainsburys, Tescos and Morrisons in the UK certainly do including the plastic wine glasses and tumblers.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We use the Arcoroc we had in the caravan. I hate plastic too!! Like the melamine, it goes out of fashion and they stop the patterns quite frequently these days, so don't pay a lot for whatever you have is my advice, then you won't have to get a second mortgage if you do break it! I quite like the latest designs in Tesco's at the moment as it happens.

But if you are going to France, the major supermarkets all seem to have much more stylish crockery at very reasonable prices, than we get!

Upvote 0

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Hi All,

I’ve just bought my first motorhome and need to stock it with non breakable crockery (plates, bowls, cups and glasses). Any suggestions on where to look? (I’m based in Ireland). Also, any suggestions on special items to buy (eg anti break glass holders).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance for all responses.

Hi FrCrilly,

We bought ours from here http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/MelamineSets.html
also as already mentioned in a previous post
Link Removed

Hope this helps
MIN :thumb:

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I use the melamine but have one crockery mug which is MINE, ALL MINE, MINE MINE MINE::bigsmile: Will save you a fortune in coffee, tea, milk and sugar cos nobody will have a second cup....

Lots of people use the plastic ones so don't worry too much about something which is part of the enjoyment of having a new motorhome:thumb:

Upvote 0

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
You may also want to invest in some anti-slip matting which you can buy as individual mats or on a roll which can be cut to the size you require. This not only helps stuff from slipping around the cupboards when you are on the move but also dampens a lot of the rattling.

Upvote 0

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,

have to agree with those who have gone back to the real thing. I'm afraid plastic is just too false. I also have a mug that is mine all mine:boxing:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have 4 of these:

Link Removed

picked them up at car boot sales - hey keep drinks nice and hot and double up as drinking glasses! We also use a melamine picnic set (good quality ones) which we also got from a car boot sale many, many years ago - the chap who we bougt it off had had it for about 20 years when we bought it and it was pristine .... I think he only used it a couple of times!!! 8 mugs, large plates and bowls. We only have 4 of the bowls and a couple of plates in the 'van with us and still haven't worn out the first lot we put in there ... made to last in those days! Of course, I do have to keep reminding hubby that you can't keep bacon warm on one of the plates by putting it under the grill ... yes, he did it but only once, when we were new to camping and managed to create a weird modern art masterpiece!!!:Blush:

We like melamine plates and bowls simply because it doesn't cool the food down, like 'pottery' etc plates can, so the grub is always nice and hot when I sit down to scoff it.::bigsmile: Can't be doing with melamine mugs though ... yuk!::Eeek:

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
THe problem with buying on line with iUK nternet retailers is the cost of shipping to Ireland, you will be far better off looking in your local supermarket or a camping shop in Ireland.

Peter

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back