Electric Hook Up in Europe - Which adaptor? (1 Viewer)

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Not exactly sure if this is the correct adaptor for hook up on European Campsites as it looks like a domestic 2 pin connector(see pic).

Please could some confirm or point me in the right direction.

Dave

Attachments

• 2 pin hook up.jpg
    2 pin hook up.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 127

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
With the one you have pictured and the standard 16A blue socket, you should be fine. A lot of places in France now have the blue socket.

3 years ago, I bought an adapter like the one shown; I have used it once (but then we hardly ever hook-up).

Philip

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Yes if you take the one pictured (usually found on old campsites which havent updated their supply stands) and the normal hookup you should be covered

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
If you are going to Switzerland then you will need a different adapter. They usually hire them at each campsite.

Derek

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Make sure that the two pin plug has a hole where normaly the earth pin is on uk plug as in France the earth pin is fitted to the wall/post outlet

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Well that has totally thrown me. I get your drift, but the rather small pic I have seen of this 2 pin. Cant say I have seen an hole?

Also the 2 pin does look big enough. Surely it would be roughtly same size as a 3 pin but only with 2 pins?

A pic of a 3 pin and 2 pin together, the 2 pin definitely looked smaller and of the domestic type, which does not have this hole?

Anyone got a picture?

Make sure that the two pin plug has a hole where normaly the earth pin is on uk plug as in France the earth pin is fitted to the wall/post outlet

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
looks correct ; when you buy it you will find that it has 2 connectors to earth , one on each side , for german type sockets , and a hole for the post that sticks out for the earth on french type sockets , it caters for both varieties of the originally german shuko socket

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I lived in Germany for a few years and know what you are refering re: the earth strip on the sides. What I cant visualise is this hole where the 3rd pin of a uk would be on a smaller 2 pin? Maybe its a bit more compact than I am suggesting?

I guess when I get one it will all be clear.

looks correct ; when you buy it you will find that it has 2 connectors to earth , one on each side , for german type sockets , and a hole for the post that sticks out for the earth on french type sockets , it caters for both varieties of the originally german shuko socket

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
yes , virtually everything that is not double insulated and hence with no earth is now fitted with the 'universal' plug which also has the hole to connect with the french earth pole ; no hole , you can't use it in france [ or some places in spain ]

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
heres a list of european plugs and sockets by country.

some countries use more than one type.

scroll down to the country list for plugs listed...A, B, C, D etc then back to the plug pics for the type.

PLUGS AND SOCKETS.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
If you are staying on aires or municcipal sites you will often find the two-pin plus earth hole connector is necessary, but many campsites such as ours (www.parcverger.com) have installed the European blue sockets similar to the CC and CCC sites. The power provided can vary enormously, of course, some providing 5A or 6A, with 10A on some sites. We chose to provide 16A so that there is no need to worry about having more than one appliance on the go at one time! Even then we get a demand for more than that sometimes, so we can provide up to 32A! :Eeek:

Wherever you go in France enjoy your time - this is a beautiful country, so take it easy.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back