My misses says its too big and it wants chopping off!! (1 Viewer)

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
I have a problem!! the misses says its just too big..this would be great if it was in the early days of our relationship, but unfortunately its just been said a few weeks since buying our motorhome. The problem is the exhaust on our swift sundance 630g. It just seems to stick out too much and seems to stoop a bit to low for my liking!!:Angry:

Not had a problem with it for normal driving, but when parking its a bit too close for comfort against the raised flagstones I have to negotiate. Its especially difficult as i cant see it from the drivers window when reversing so Im guestimating...

What do you think?
Is there a technical reason why its this long? Should I leave as is? Or should I see if an exhaust centre can reduce it down, to aid parking it?? Any thoughts appreciated..

Attachments

• SAM_1863.JPG
    SAM_1863.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 134
  • SAM_1866.JPG
    SAM_1866.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 131

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I'm not 100% sure but I think it is illegal! the thing could take someones legs off!!

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
are you sure it has the right exhaust on in the first place. it does seem to stick out a long way

Upvote 0

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
This was something that pussled me at the western show last year. lots of MHs had exhausts like this and it doesn't make sense.

Upvote 0

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
First check to see if the end part is just an exhaust trim. If it is, you may be able to push it further on to the main pipe.
It also appears to be drooping a bit ( could this be the main cause of Mrs Tiger's complaint!), some chassis will have a convenient anchoring point to fit an extra tie bar to give extra support. I took mine to ATS who fitted an extra support for all of 15 quidlies.

It is too long tho' and looks very vulnerable as well. Mine only protrudes about half an inch, (its not funny!) and even then on a mountain road in France I managed to scrape it along some rocks during a close encounter with a bus.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I would chop it off at an angle, but not too close otherwise you may get exhaust sucked into the hab area and also get sooty marks on the body .. or cut it straight and fit a curved tail pipe pointing down.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't say if the van is new or s/h, either way if you brought from a dealer take it back and get them to sort it.

If it's s/h the exhaust has probably been replaced with the nearest available one that would fit, a common practice on Motorhomes.
If you brought privately and need to fix it yourself I would cut it off & fit an curved exhaust trim then you can finish it under the body with the outlet pointing downwards.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I think you may be able to slacken the clamp and turn it up a bit more, mine is the same.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Have to say, my missus has never said it's too big. :cry:

I like to think it's small but perfectly formed. :thumb:

Sorry, but someone had to say it. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
I'm not 100% sure but I think it is illegal! the thing could take someones legs off!!

Doug...

Id actually have their head of first with the wing mirror (unless it was a child of course) :cry:

its due for first MOT in August so your 'illegal' comment is interesting, but if it was added during manufacture surely it would be legal!) oh no what am I saying!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
are you sure it has the right exhaust on in the first place. it does seem to stick out a long way

Hi Chatter, no not really, bought 2nd hand, its 2.5 years old.. I have been exhaust watching other motorhomes, and mine is the biggest so far, even with other Fiat Ducati's 130 Multijet bases.

I had a lot of documentation when i bought it so ill check through to see

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
First check to see if the end part is just an exhaust trim. If it is, you may be able to push it further on to the main pipe.

Ill check that, when I looked a couple of weeks back it seemed to be welded to the main box

It also appears to be drooping a bit ( could this be the main cause of Mrs Tiger's complaint!),

That doesnt happen to real men like me, oh except for that time I got drunk!! and there was the time I thought I pulled a woman but it was a .. er er...lets change the subject :Blush:

some chassis will have a convenient anchoring point to fit an extra tie bar to give extra support. I took mine to ATS who fitted an extra support for all of 15 quidlies.

Im thinking that something like this will be the best solution for a few quid

It is too long tho' and looks very vulnerable as well. Mine only protrudes about half an inch, (its not funny!) and even then on a mountain road in France I managed to scrape it along some rocks during a close encounter with a bus.

I also know of a man who can only protrude about half an inch, he's called Justin, well thats another story...:ROFLMAO:

Scraping it along rocks is also something Im worried about, in particular with speed bumps.. I have to come over speed bumps near where I live, not heard any noise from their but would imagine it wont be far off scraping.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
I would chop it off at an angle, but not too close otherwise you may get exhaust sucked into the hab area and also get sooty marks on the body .. or cut it straight and fit a curved tail pipe pointing down.

Thanks Jim, I think this is the best solution for me, ill see what local exhaust centre recommend after telling them your comments and the extra bracket (if needed if cut down) from previous poster:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
You don't say if the van is new or s/h, either way if you brought from a dealer take it back and get them to sort it.

If it's s/h the exhaust has probably been replaced with the nearest available one that would fit, a common practice on Motorhomes.
If you brought privately and need to fix it yourself I would cut it off & fit an curved exhaust trim then you can finish it under the body with the outlet pointing downwards.

Thanks Lenny, it was bought privately, but is still within 3 year warranty. As the original dealer is some distance away (im not even sure if exhaust reduction is covered) it may be cheaper for me just to get it sorted nearer home...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Have to say, my missus has never said it's too big. :cry:

I like to think it's small but perfectly formed. :thumb:

Sorry, but someone had to say it. :ROFLMAO:

touche!!

You dont have a middle name Justin do you??? :winky:

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If thine arm offends thee cut it off....

That's my answer to everything since my divorce.:Cool:

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
This is because there are two types of exhaust for the vehicle...one for the van, and one for the motorhome conversion. The latter being the longer. They are made for anything up to an a-class - so the width is fairly long.

Usual proceadure is to cut and cap with a suitable direction tail-peice. Do not cut too short though, as you will have the aforementioned dirty black exhaust marks, and fumes when you open the window whilst driving!

Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Originally Posted by hallii Link Removed
I would let the local Rabbi do it, he will know how much to take off without any damage!

Gives a whole new meaning to circus-sized...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Feeling better about having a big one now. Just been watching the 630L model on Coronation Street and that had a big one as well...

Still want to chop some of mine off though!!

::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If you do cut it off, bear in mind that there should be no sharp object that could hurt any one that may come into contact with it.

Doug...

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
not too short

If you decide to have it cut off, remember that the exhaust must protrude from the body work by about an inch. As the 'van' has no seperate cab from rear the exhaust could come back inside.
The only vehicles that are allowed the exhaust to finnish under the vehicle are those with shorter cab, and then the exhaust must finnished behind the cab.
But ATS or the like will know all that any way. Good hunting for a chopper man.:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I have a problem!! the misses says its just too big.. The problem is the exhaust on our swift sundance 630g. It just seems to stick out too much and seems to stoop a bit to low for my liking!!:Angry:

Not had a problem with it for normal driving, but when parking its a bit too close for comfort against the raised flagstones I have to negotiate. Its especially difficult as i cant see it from the drivers window when reversing so Im guestimating.....
This does not look right at all to me....infact i'm surprised it hasn't been involuntary 'modified' by a kerb, not to mention the batty speed humps which regularly demolish exhaust systems and sumps!

I'm judging from your photographs which show the exhaust almost on the ground! I'd seriously get that checked out pronto.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
This does not look right at all to me....infact i'm surprised it hasn't been involuntary 'modified' by a kerb, not to mention the batty speed humps which regularly demolish exhaust systems and sumps!

I'm judging from your photographs which show the exhaust almost on the ground! I'd seriously get that checked out pronto.

hi, i did ping it once on the raised flagstones, one sticks out further than others. It came off its rubber mount on the passenger side, but was easily fixed back on...The ground it is currently on is a bit uneven, so probably looks a little worse than it actually is...Its never scratched the floor, just been a problem so far reverse parking. If it gets cut down, that will raise it an inch or two..

ive looked on ebay now for other Sundances and their exhausts also stick out, difficult to tell though if 'worse' than mine..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Important - Big Exhaust Update

Just to give some feedback regarding my large exhaust that stuck out a lot.

I found out that Spacerunner was right, but without thinking too much just took off the exhaust trim, still with the intent of getting it reduced in size and trimmed off in some way..I toured some exhaust centres most of which wouldnt have anything to do with it. In fact one so called expert exhaust company told me to re-attach the exhaust trim to the motorhome and bring the whole motorhome to him to have a look...numpty!!! I then thought sod it, got a trim piece of ebay, but it came a bit too late. decided to reattach original exhaust trim when the penny started to drop and remembering what Spacerunner mentioned I found that it would slide in further and I could turn it so it was higher upoff the floor as Diablo mentioned..

Of course I will now have exhaust envy as passing many other motorhomers they will have bigger ones than me, but I think mine is a more practical size now... Ive included before and after piccies, Thanks to the guys comments below...

Originally Posted by Spacerunner Link Removed

Diablo
I think you may be able to slacken the clamp and turn it up a bit more, mine is the same

Attachments

• SAM_1863.JPG
    SAM_1863.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 19
  • SAM_1869.jpg
    SAM_1869.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!