Wild camping Scotland (1 Viewer)

Lucysmum

Free Member
Jul 29, 2009
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
Exp
6 whole months!
Does anybody have any experience of wild camping in Scotland? I have vague memories of being told that this is not frowned on quite so much as it is in other parts of the country ie Pembrokeshire where we live! Here every layby and woodland had a 'No overnight stays/camping' sign!'

Cheers

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
you will find plenty of no overnight parking signs in Scotland too, however doesn't stop us and many others. Depends on where you wish to go, generally the further the north the nicer IMO and of course the easier to wild camp. We stayed one place where we never saw a person for two days. Like most people, the Scots generally will be welcoming if your polite pleasant and pick up your rubbish and take it with you. Also if you dont start winding out awnings and making the great scenery look like a gypsy camp there wont be a problem.
My best advice would be go out of Holiday season to really get some tranquillity and never be bothered.:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Does anybody have any experience of wild camping in Scotland? I have vague memories of being told that this is not frowned on quite so much as it is in other parts of the country ie Pembrokeshire where we live! Here every layby and woodland had a 'No overnight stays/camping' sign!'

Cheers
It's possibly the easiest country to truly wild camp. Scotland encorages plain common sense thinking and treats adults as adult, rather than wave around potty rule books making peoples lives a misery.

Leave the battiness of your home county behind and enjoy the welcoming Scottish hospitality, not to mention the open roads and the magnificent scenery.
You will return again and again and again....:Smile::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
In Scotland you will actually see signs that say you can wild camp & provide some guidance as to the rules to follow. We stopped at the end of Loch Rannoch on the bank side and as hagnap said you won't see many others - a bit of a drive though, up a dead end road. :whatthe:

Roads are quiet but a few are narrow with passing places, but that breaks the boredom of driving through the magnificent scenery & taking sooooo many photos. ::bigsmile:

There are so many spots to stop I gave up recording them. :Cool:

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
We are heading for Inverness to visit family. I like taking the A82, Glencoe route. Anyone know of any good spots where we can wild camp. Another request, the last time we drove by Loch Ness on the A82, we stopped for a break and noticed a van driving along Loch Ness over the other side. Is there a road there towards Inverness or is it a service road or dirt track road. Would appreciate your knowledge of this area.

Dingray

Free Member
Dec 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
CB
Exp
Since 2000
Hi there
To travel along the other side off Loch Ness:- Take the A82 from Fort William towards Inverness, at Fort Augustus turn right on the B862 to Foyers/Dores. This is mainly single track road with passing places so don't be in a hurry!!
Ray.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
.......last time we drove by Loch Ness on the A82, we stopped for a break and noticed a van driving along Loch Ness over the other side. Is there a road there towards Inverness or is it a service road or dirt track road. Would appreciate your knowledge of this area.
Its the B852 and yes it eventually reaches Inverness.

OK......B852 up as far as Dorres then it becomes the B862.

OP
OP
Lucysmum

Lucysmum

Free Member
Jul 29, 2009
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
Exp
6 whole months!
Thanks for confirming what I already suspected! We love Scotland and the wilder the better! This will be our first trip up there in our motorhome. I'd go so far as to say it's why we bought a motorhome! We are planning on spending 3 weeks touring around and its always been my ambition to spend Midsummer's Day somewhere as far north as we can practically manage - only got to Inverness in the car last year. Planning on Thurso this year!!

For the gentleman going to Inverness - the dolphins off Channonry Point are well worth the wait. In fact it was there we met our first motorhomers and the seeds were sown for buying our own.:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Be aware of some new by-laws under discussion on wild camping in certain parts of Scotland ..

Anyone pitching a tent or even sleeping in vehicles overnight outside designated campsites on the east shore of Loch Lomond will face a £500 fine, if proposals to bring in a new bylaw are successful.

Link Removed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8510202.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8657817.stm

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Thanks for confirming what I already suspected! We love Scotland and the wilder the better!
In that case you won't go wrong travelling the entire north west coast up to Durness. Take the trip to see the lighthouse there. Inaccessible by car you can either walk, but it's a damn long walk (!!), or pay to be taken up in a 4x4. The cliffs there are amongst the highest on mainland uk and the experience is just breathtaking. Just watch where you walk though.....one drop and you won't be coming back!

From Durness head across east towards Bettyhill and take the B871. You only need drive a few miles and you are in the most remote area of the uk. It's a narrow single road with passing places and I parked up there once for over an hour, cooked a meal and had a brew, and saw not one other vehicle or person......paradise!

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Right on target, Bulletguy, one of our favourites!! Now everyone will go there...

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001

Cheers
We have wild camped all over the place in Scotland and never had a problem. I think the rule of thumb is to be as discreet as possible by selecting your spot if it's in a village and turn up there when it's time to go to bed. We have camped in the main car park in Braemar for the "Gathering" and there has never been a problem, in fact just west of Braemar there is a recognised area for wild camping and in the summer there are tents all over the place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back