European Breakdown cover with NFU (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Can add a months European breakdown cover with our present insurers NFU for an additional £28. Have read their terms and they seem to be similar to others in that they will take your vehicle to a local garage for repair or if it's not cost effective orwill take too long to repair will relay you home, which is what I would want as we have our own workshops in the UK.
Anyone had to use their breakdown cover whilst abroad?

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, I wasn't aware that NFU would provide European Breakdown Cover for the Motor-home, I will have to double check with them at renewal.

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We got UK breakdown cover as an add on to our motor insurance policy for the motorhome and when I asked at the time if that was only UK he said yes but we should be able to up it to European as and when. When I phoned today they said they do not provide European cover for a whole year but can be added for each trip as required.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Hi Jaygee
Im with NFU too and when I took out the policy they stipulated that they do not offer any kind of breakdown cover at all, that was about 5 months ago ???
I want to go to spain for the winter and can currently only get cover for three months, through the C&CC arrival scheme. Can you tell me which office you called and are there any restrictions i.e. maximum length per single trip or size of motorhome. ?

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, For European breakdown cover its really worth investigating ADAC, there plenty of information if you run a search on the forums.

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
they have a 92 day maximum single trip clause and I believe size restrictions ?

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Are you sure about that, only from what I have read the 90 day apparently only applies to the medical cover section, albeit I haven't confirmed that myself it was from a discussion on another forum where the subject was raised and that was the reply,

It would be interesting if you have anyway of confirming the 90 exclusion

Thanks

they have a 92 day maximum single trip clause and I believe size restrictions ?

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
definetly got cove - got my documents today. Only asked for the months cover that we are going so don't know if they would cover longer.

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
definetly got cove - got my documents today. Only asked for the months cover that we are going so don't know if they would cover longer.

which office was it ? different branches seem to have different rules, I know from insuring my RV one branch would say NO RVs the next would quote , so im guessing the breakdown scheme may again be not known by all agents ...or maybe its because my MH is bigger than yours, please have a look at your terms and check....I wanna chase the sun for the winter and this is the main thing stopping me.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
best service seems to be given out by Sarha at the Louth Office, having said that both young ladies seem well clued up on RVs Toads, A frames, trailers, etc
Geo

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

Are you sure about that, only from what I have read the 90 day apparently only applies to the medical cover section, albeit I haven't confirmed that myself it was from a discussion on another forum where the subject was raised and that was the reply,

It would be interesting if you have anyway of confirming the 90 exclusion

Thanks
Yeah your right Braunston, heres thier reply to my email-
"We don't have a maximum length of travelling for the vehicle-related Service of the ADACPlusmembership, e.g. Breakdown assistance, Towing or Vehicle transportation to your hometown.

There will be no person-related benefits under the PlusMembership, if you stay more than 92 days in other European countries and more than 45 days in non-European countries. The person-related PlusServices following illness and injury include:

- medical repatriation
- accommodation costs
- visit to ill person
- chauffeur service for children
- non-scheduled return
- repatriation of pets
- despatch of medication and spectacles
- assistance with the loss of travel documents
- interpreter's service
- vehicle recovery, if driver is ill
- credit services"

Steven Fawcett

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
manchester
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
european insurance cover

Can add a months European breakdown cover with our present insurers NFU for an additional £28. Have read their terms and they seem to be similar to others in that they will take your vehicle to a local garage for repair or if it's not cost effective orwill take too long to repair will relay you home, which is what I would want as we have our own workshops in the UK.
Anyone had to use their breakdown cover whilst abroad?

hi funstar
can not understand problem with insurance cover europe
i am with i c insurance euro breakdown cover plus 365 days europe cover
there no is 0844 5577484.ther excelent.
regards
steve

Steven Fawcett

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
manchester
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
european insurance cover

hi jaygee
im am with ic insurance 365 euopean cover plus breakdown
there no is 0844 5577484. plus you will get a intro discount dont forget to ask.
previous ins company 30 days euro cover max.
good luck.

regards steve.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi steve ,seems great but check again most put restrictions on actual time in a trip. all uk insurance covers europe for 365 days minimum cover . its a mine field with time ,size,gets worse as you get out of the small normal camper for 2/3 weeks away . lots say 365for recovery but you cant have it in one bite. some will cover you but make enquiries.cheers alan

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi,

Just checked IC policy :-

You must not use your vehicle outside the United Kingdom for more than 31 days in a

row or more than 60 days in total during the period of insurance.:Eeek:

They also only cover up to 25ft. link to policy Link Removed

Dave

St.Cyr

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
West Wales/Normandy
Funster No
MH
Merc self-build
Exp
On & off, 30 years ...
Hi. Does anyone know of a company offering European breakdown cover for our van:

23 years old
3782cc
23' long
6.5 ton
Privately converted.

Been on internet & phone for a week and still can't find ONE which will cover ALL the spec! She's either too old, over 3000cc, over 3.5t or they won't accept non factory built!

Any (reasonably polite) suggestions would be MOST WELCOME & APPRECIATED!!!

(Tried all the previously mentioned organisations, joined CC to be able to use Mayday for UK cover but no luck for EU ...:shout:

PS.: She's been to India,Africa & all points between over the last few years with no problem at all (with previous guardian) - knowing my luck she'll expire as I disembark :Sad:

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
I have had the misfortune to breakdown abroad when my clutch failed. I can say that then the premium you pay does not come into it, it is the service you get.
I broke down on one of the Motorways and under French Law they have authorised Breakdown companies who are the only ones allowed to come on these roads.

This is where you need your Breakdown Company to be good and insist this breakdown company only remove your Van off the Motorway not in my case he took us back to his premises.I spoke to my Breakdown company who it was obvious were young in age and were being told by this garage what would happen not the other way round. I ended up with a 7 days wait for my vehicle and a £1100 bill. Anything he told them they accepted. I was forced to storm into the garage and ask for the vehicle back,it was sat on a ramp all finished but minutes before they had been telling my Breakdown it would be another day.

What it boiled down to was the vehicle should have been taken to one of their list of repairers and they had taken the easy way out. I am now looking for cover for next month but will not touch these companies offering cheap cover. Mine had been through Caravan Guard who to be fair did pay me £250 back accepting poor service.

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
I would double check your NFU policy. I have two cars and a MH insured with them and they have now included break-down cover on the cars at no additional cost, however breakdown cover on motorhomes is specifically excluded from my policy.

They are not very competitive on the MH insurance but more than make up for it with the cars (Land Rovers) and their customer service is excellent. So I keep all three policies with them.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Who provided your breakdown cover only most of them use/lay it off to a company in the country you are in unless of course they actually operate themselves in that country, who were your breakdown company so hopefully we won't have the same problems.

What actually happened did you contact your own breakdown company, who then decided to pass the recovery onto a company who specifically operate on the motorway network, or did the motorway owners/operators/police call the motorways own breakdown recover company themselves.

What should we do in similar circumstances, should we just instruct the motorway breakdown company to recover our vehicle to a safe place off the motorway network then call our own breakdown company to sort it out ??

any advice would be helpful

I have had the misfortune to breakdown abroad when my clutch failed. I can say that then the premium you pay does not come into it, it is the service you get.
I broke down on one of the Motorways and under French Law they have authorised Breakdown companies who are the only ones allowed to come on these roads.

This is where you need your Breakdown Company to be good and insist this breakdown company only remove your Van off the Motorway not in my case he took us back to his premises.I spoke to my Breakdown company who it was obvious were young in age and were being told by this garage what would happen not the other way round. I ended up with a 7 days wait for my vehicle and a £1100 bill. Anything he told them they accepted. I was forced to storm into the garage and ask for the vehicle back,it was sat on a ramp all finished but minutes before they had been telling my Breakdown it would be another day.

What it boiled down to was the vehicle should have been taken to one of their list of repairers and they had taken the easy way out. I am now looking for cover for next month but will not touch these companies offering cheap cover. Mine had been through Caravan Guard who to be fair did pay me £250 back accepting poor service.

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Inter Party Assistance dealt with the Breakdown. The French Breakdown operator could not understand my poor French and did not speak one word of English. I contacted Inter Party whilst on the Motorway and they spoke to him and yes they should have instructed him to just get me off the Motorway.
Over the days visiting the garage I got the impression he towed everything back to his place hoping to get the work.:winky:
On one occasion when I spoke with Inter Party stating I was going to the garage to chase up the repairs I was told not to as I may upset him and he would take longer.:whatthe:

T

TomTee

Deleted User
NFU is superb!

I've been taking out the NFU's Continental breakdown cover for over three years. I've just been charged under £26 for four weeks in Europe, starting next Monday.

I take out an annual travel policy with M & S for about £99 for my wife and me and I'm also covered for the vehicle (I assume) by Ford, as my Transit-based Hobby is new.

Thus the NFU covers my 'van and M & S covers me for sickness and accidents etc. As I may go abroad three times a year the M & S policy is good value I think.

As for the price of insurance, if you want to saw the last ha'penny in half then shop around by all means. However, an insurance company should be judged most of all on how it handles claims and the NFU comes top of the poll year after year.

My wife had a prang in her car three years ago and they were superb. I ring the branch where I'm on first name terms with the manager and it's a pleasure to deal with a real person instead of a different teenager every time!

I'm very happy to be paying a little more than others may be. Peace of mind is more important than a few bob!

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Sweet Chariot

Thanks for your reply, do you have to pay separately for the motorway breakdown recovery ? and if you do can you claim it back from your own breakdown company ? as it all sounds very complicated, especially if like me you can't speak the language

Inter Party Assistance dealt with the Breakdown. The French Breakdown operator could not understand my poor French and did not speak one word of English. I contacted Inter Party whilst on the Motorway and they spoke to him and yes they should have instructed him to just get me off the Motorway.
Over the days visiting the garage I got the impression he towed everything back to his place hoping to get the work.:winky:
On one occasion when I spoke with Inter Party stating I was going to the garage to chase up the repairs I was told not to as I may upset him and he would take longer.:whatthe:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

The NFU provide travel insurance Link Removed

If your vehicle is covered by the manufacturers warranty then it is very likely that its pan European and will cover you for more or less everything that you are getting from NFU in terms of Continental breakdown cover,

I've been taking out the NFU's Continental breakdown cover for over three years. I've just been charged under £26 for four weeks in Europe, starting next Monday.

I take out an annual travel policy with M & S for about £99 for my wife and me and I'm also covered for the vehicle (I assume) by Ford, as my Transit-based Hobby is new.

Thus the NFU covers my 'van and M & S covers me for sickness and accidents etc. As I may go abroad three times a year the M & S policy is good value I think.

As for the price of insurance, if you want to saw the last ha'penny in half then shop around by all means. However, an insurance company should be judged most of all on how it handles claims and the NFU comes top of the poll year after year.

My wife had a prang in her car three years ago and they were superb. I ring the branch where I'm on first name terms with the manager and it's a pleasure to deal with a real person instead of a different teenager every time!

I'm very happy to be paying a little more than others may be. Peace of mind is more important than a few bob!

T

TomTee

Deleted User
You may well be right but for twenty-six quid it's belt and braces!

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
The recovery charge was 130 euro and Inter Party usually pay this but this garage told them they would not release the vehicle until I had paid it on their behalf. The annoying thing about all this was I had been insisting the vehicle should be taken to a Peugeot Dealer. As it was only 3 years old and 13000 miles. Whilst stuck in the area I found one 2 miles away.:Angry:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Its only money but if you go to Europe in the MH 3 times its nearly as much as your good deal on the M&S. policy, and very close to what I pay for the whole year with ADAC

"As I may go abroad three times a year the M & S policy is good value I think."

You may well be right but for twenty-six quid it's belt and braces!

T

TomTee

Deleted User
Hi,

Its only money but if you go to Europe in the MH 3 times its nearly as much as your good deal on the M&S. policy, and very close to what I pay for the whole year with ADAC

"As I may go abroad three times a year the M & S policy is good value I think."

I don't go in the motorhome three times, usually twice, so I end up paying the NFU about £50 for my two trips.

T

TomTee

Deleted User
I cannot find anything for Motorhome Breakdown cover on the NFU page.:Doh:

Maybe not but I can assure you that they do it! I've been having it for over three years and have just fixed up for my next four-week trip.

I just phone my branch and it's done immediately.

It goes without saying I hope that you have to be insured by the NFU to start with. They don't sell breakdown cover on its own.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back