Aldi satellite, can it...................? (1 Viewer)

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
OK, bear with me if this is a ridiculous question.

Can their cheapie portable system be used in Europe? I realise that it won't get the main UK channels, but would it pick up local stuff?

And, is the only other piece of kit required the TV itself?:Cool:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
OK, bear with me if this is a ridiculous question.

Can their cheapie portable system be used in Europe? I realise that it won't get the main UK channels, but would it pick up local stuff?

And, is the only other piece of kit required the TV itself?:Cool:

Yes and yes.:thumb:

OP
OP
neilmac

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Thanks for your speedy reply Derek :thumb:

Job's a goodun!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jeffscarborough

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
I had one of these last year and it picked up all uk programes (astra E) in Sete South of France.

I have now replaced the dish with a Camos flat sat but kept the rest. :thumb:

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
You can get most programs as far as Roses in Spain, then it's just the news programs on the South beam.

You will need to practice aiming at the satellite, it is easy here in the UK but as the signal gets weaker it gets more difficult.

Also you will get a strong South beam signal and you will be tempted to aim at this. So, use something like BBC 1 to tune to and then when you see a picture you have the North beam, that's the one that carries BBC ITV C4 etc.

Took me about 1/2 hour first time, now I can do it in 2 mins!

halllii

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Also you will get a strong South beam signal and you will be tempted to aim at this. So, use something like BBC 1 to tune to and then when you see a picture you have the North beam, that's the one that carries BBC ITV C4 etc.
halllii
Just to clarify: the satellite, Astra 2d, that carries the FTA version sof BBC ITV and C4 does not have a "north and south" beam - just one "narrow" beam.

UK TV comes from 4 satellites.
Astra 2a and 2B have a north and south beam.
The north beam of 2a differs slightly to 2bs south beam, and the former is a bit easier to receive.
Their 2b north beams can be tricky to receive in some areas of Spain even on "big" dishes.
The south beams are fine - and include BBC News, Sky News, and the BBC Radios 1,2,3,4 and the BBC Sports streams.

Astra 2d is where all the free to air (no card required) main UK TV channel sit - BBC1,2,3,4, ITV1,2,3,4,c4,e4,m4,f4,five. Astra 2d has a "narrow" beam, not a north or south beam, and it is this satellite that you require the "big" dishes to receive and gets harder to receive the farther south in Spain you go to...(but gets a bit easier near the CDS where, due to a satellite manufacturing error, this Astra 2d signal is a bit better!)
Eurobird 1 has two beams, both similar and faily easy to receive.

You can get ITV and C4 on a small dish - as long as you have a sky card. you can do this by accessing some ITV1 regions that not on Astra 2d. Theya re on frequencie 12408 and 11973 - the former is on a norht beam, and the latter is a south beam! SO ITV1 is available wiht a sky card on a small dish.
SAme thing for C4 - there are som eencrypted C4s available on frrequency 12480 - these are Irish variatoin sof C4 and are also on a north beam.

So if you are tryimng to get an initial alignment for any dish use a south beam frequency or channel - like Sky News on 12207 v, or BBC News on 11954 H. Then if you are in a good reception area for Astra 2d fine tune for the BBC channels - best to use BBC1 Channel Islands, and then really lock it down with BBC2.

I had one of these last year and it picked up all uk programes (astra E) in Sete South of France.
Think you haveyour Astras mixed up! Astra 2e has even been launched yet - and Astra1 1e is at 23.5 east and is mainly used for German TV!!

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have noticed the poster posted this on several different forums?

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Just got back with our new Aldi kit - usual scrum, but new manager sorted it out easily by asking us to raise hands, and first 20 went in, straight to 2 tills he opened with 10 boxes at each. Apparently his own idea.

Then next door we got some pretty good quality folding crates at Lidl, better quality and cheaper than Mrs Cohen's stuff at Tesco.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Managed to get to Aldi 10 minutes before opening and get one of the Satellite kits. Been playing around with it at home - MH in storage - and thought I would learn my way around the receiver by connecting it to my Freesat dish.

Before I managed to get my head around it, I was promptly evicted from the lounge as something unbelievably important, like Eastenders, was on, but in the 15 minutes I was fiddling, I got the impression it would not find Astra 1D.

Is that right? Have I got to tune into other satellites?

Steve

OP
OP
neilmac

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Got one!!!

::bigsmile: WHOOOHOOO! My daughter managed to get me one, can't wait to get my grubby mits on it.

Trouble is.... I'm about 1200 miles away from it so will have to come up with a plan :winky:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We picked one up, but it isn't receiving anything! Signal strength stays the same even if you unplug it! lol!

I will look into that one tomorrow, but it certainly isn't playing the game today!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
How cheap are they as you can always get a "B" grade from here

Link Removed

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We picked one up, but it isn't receiving anything! Signal strength stays the same even if you unplug it! lol!

I will look into that one tomorrow, but it certainly isn't playing the game today!

Go to THIS SITE and practise the instructions over & over. You can do it, practise will make you perfect & able to set it up quickly.

I had one of these for years & never failed to get a picture from anywhere in Europe. :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I will have a little look again today - yesterday is was stuck on 15% and never changed, even when you unplugged the dish!

probably being impatient!:Doh:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Costa del Sol?

Only guessing.

Steve

CDS - Costa Del Sol.
Normally the signal should drop off around there, but supposably due to a manufacturing problem on the satellite there is a "lobe" of a signal that allows the reception of Astra 2d without the need for 2.4m dishes, like what is needed around the Alicante area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back