Importing an RV. Whats changed since 2006? (1 Viewer)

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Am off to USA in a couple of weeks and will probably buy an RV to ship back whilst we are there. ::bigsmile:

The last time i did it was 2006 and it was pretty easy. Anyone know of any new legislation that has been introduced since 2006 that might affect me? :Sad:

Thought I heard they now need an SVA test?? Anyone know if thats true? :cry:
I assume the taxes are the same 10% import duty + VAT? :cry:
The guy i used for shipping last time has died so can anyone recommend a shipping company they have used an know are good?? :winky:

Thanks all. :thumb:

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Got a 5th wheel and truck mid atlantic at the moment ,
not due in untill 14th

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi Ian.

Who did the shipping and where did it leave from?

Just as a matter of interest what is the import duty etc on a 5er and pick up combo??

When i shipped my Lightning it was 25% :Eeek: import tax (commecial vehicle rate) + VAT.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Dazz
I shipped mine in a few years ago so I'm not sure about the SVA. I dont think the SVA scheme is still current. I did read on the web that it had been repalced by something else.

Even if RV'S are included now its not that much of a job and you can get it done at the same place that you get your uk conversion and MOT done.

I wont tell you where I got my conversion and MOT done because they were garbbage.

I used an agent in the us and an agent to look after the import at Southampton.

I shipped from Galveston too Southampton. The agent in Southampton was Penguin, they were very efficient and helpful. There are some really unhelpfull agents in Southampton.

I cant remeber the agent that I used in the US but will have a look tonight and post her name.

She came reccomended from the dealer and helped me out with import & vat costs (Big Time) (Bottom Line Price on Billl of Sale).

It may be that Penguin in Southampton can do it all for you ie Stateside and here.

It maybe easier for you to do this because I assume that you will be able to take the RV to the docks yourself. I wasnt there and so needed a us agent
Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi Jim

I will be doing the conversion and registration myself (not a very difficult job usually takes a weekend and about £300.00 in materials, I honestly cannot see how the dealers even try and justify the costs they charge), its just a good shipper im looking for (preferably one that will "assist" with the paperwork side of things :winky:, like yours did) :thumb:

I may also need someone to take it to the docks for me although the dealer has offered to do this if i buy one from them. ::bigsmile:

The shipping company ive used in the past was Willanius and they were always very good :thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Yes, your right about the conversion and registration. I will have a look at my paperwork tonight and let you know who the us agent was, she also arranged for shipment from the dealer to the dock.

Jm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Just had a look on the government website and a Motorcaravan is classed as a Special Purpose Vehicle. An SVA for these vehicles is shown as Optional. I read that as not required.
The SVA obviousley hasn't been scrapped but has changed with a couple of new/different schemes associate with it.

Jim

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Hi Dazzer
I am using an agent originaly from Sidmouth now residing in Kissimmee
To be honest i wouldnt use the companies he or his franchise use .

Transporting it from Clermont Florida to Jacksonville port was a company called Horizon ,their driver blew the gearbox driving with a leaking cooler pipe not noticing the loss of drive .

Shipping is by a company Seariders who washed their hands of any responsibility although they employed Horizon

As for duty etc i will know when it gets here and as of yet i dont know who the UK agent is

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back