Mobile internet - phone Vs Dongle (1 Viewer)

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
I've been using my phone, Nokia 6303, as a bluetooth modem for mobile internet for a while but, even in supposedly 3G areas it's very slow - 100-200 kbs max though PAYG internet suits me for £2.50 / 5 days when I need it.
Does anyone know if the Orange dongles on contracts are any quicker or do they use the same technology?
TIA
Andy

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Don't know about Orange but we have been using a THREE dongle for the last 2 months all over the south of England and its as fast as you would want. No different to my broadband at home. Its £10 per month for 1024mbs. Difficult to use in a month unless you Skype.

Cheers:thumb:

Bill

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Don't know about Orange but we have been using a THREE dongle for the last 2 months all over the south of England and its as fast as you would want. No different to my broadband at home. Its £10 per month for 1024mbs. Difficult to use in a month unless you Skype.

Cheers:thumb:

Bill

The new deal of three.co is £15/month/5 gig on a rolling monthly contract. and yes I do skype, 1 gig would not last one week for me.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wildbri

Free Member
Dec 16, 2009
Funster No
I use a Vodafone dongle when caravanning, get about 2000kbps its on PAG and costs less than 20p per hour the way I use it :Smile: the CC site I was using wanted £6 for an hour:Eeek:
regards bri

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Have a look on here>>>http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=unlocked+dongles&_sacat=See-All-Categories<< and for a sim card on here>>http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=...l1313&_odkw=unlocked+dongles&_osacat=0&bkBtn=

I paid £15 for an unlocked dongle and use either my virgin sim or a Vodaphone sim that i paid £9.99 with £15 on it...the Vodaphone sim by the way lasts for 1yr or top up during that time...Dave

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
We have recently got the Orange Dongle on Contract for free. We opted for 500mb at just £5 a month over 18 months. It is not too bad, a bit slow but manageable. Used it during our week at Keswick and Penrith. We find it plenty as we have spend 2 hours on it and only used 100mb for mail, surfing, etc. The other advantage is it can be upgraded to a higher rate if required, but not down till after half way through 18 month contract.

chas

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
west midlands
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
32 long years !
Can anyone say how good they work in europe, say France/Spain. Thought of using a netbook while abroad, what would be the best economical way ,only needed to send the odd email, and small amount of surfing. :RollEyes:

wooly

Free Member
May 17, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
4 Years
Hi We use a vodafone dongle in france and the connection and speed is far better than in UK, but it's not cheap - £10 for 24 hours, but every couple of days you dont end up with a killer bill and I keep in contact with my business.

kennygd

Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
:Smile:Morning all, I use Vodafone dongle, pay as you go, £15.00 top ups by credit card, sometimes a bit slow but I don't know if that is my computer or not, I just wait until I get down to about £6.00 then just top up, seems to last forever.
kennygd:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I use a BT dongle and its great.

Initial payment the 18 months at 1gb per month free.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Can anyone say how good they work in europe, say France/Spain. Thought of using a netbook while abroad, what would be the best economical way ,only needed to send the odd email, and small amount of surfing. :RollEyes:

In Spain and Portugal I never use a Phone dongle, I use Wifi from places like libraries and cafes they are all free.

Doug...

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
:Smile:Morning all, I use Vodafone dongle, pay as you go, £15.00 top ups by credit card, sometimes a bit slow but I don't know if that is my computer or not, I just wait until I get down to about £6.00 then just top up, seems to last forever.
kennygd:thumb:

Check my post above, I too have the same vodafone but now I have the Three.co dea, is cheaper and faster, that's if you have the coverage.

Doug...

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
1003hours today sitting facing the sea at southend-on-sea I have just checked my 3 dongle speed using the BBC IPlayer speed test. I am getting 2.7m that's as fast as a lot of home connections. Have just been on Skype to US with vid cam on, no lag. Very happy with that. :thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I think your speed problem could be that your phone can't handle HSDPA (3.5G) most of the later dongles can handle HSDPA (3.5G) and quite a lot of phones e.g. Nokia E71 Nokia N97, there are many many more,

You may want to consider changing your phone as there do seem to be more deals with the phone for accessing the Internet than there are with dongles and if you unlock your phone then you can in certain cases make use of your credit for both services, albeit some of the operators may not be aware that you are using them with a laptop.

I only use my phone i don't bother with the dongle, as i can usually blue-tooth to the phone and take advantage of position if the signal area is poor. I have an E71 & N97 the E71 is unlocked, and they both work well.

I've been using my phone, Nokia 6303, as a bluetooth modem for mobile internet for a while but, even in supposedly 3G areas it's very slow - 100-200 kbs max though PAYG internet suits me for £2.50 / 5 days when I need it.
Does anyone know if the Orange dongles on contracts are any quicker or do they use the same technology?
TIA
Andy

OP
OP
atakd

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
Thanks for all the input. Braunston's suggestion is the way I'll go. My phone doesn't do HSDPA and, as I don't like it anyway, an upgrade will kill two birds with one stone. I would also prefer to avoid dongles as I have past experience of them damaging USB ports when I get my clumsy hands on the laptop:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back