Albania (1 Viewer)

DavidVTR

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
Funster No
Anybody been to Albania in the past few years? Planning a trip down the Baltic for a few months in the summer and wondered if Albania was actually safe or even worth a visit...?

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Anybody been to Albania in the past few years? Planning a trip down the Baltic for a few months in the summer and wondered if Albania was actually safe or even worth a visit...?
Many thanks for asking the question, interested to hear replies.
Have had a notion to investigate that part of the world.

drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Afraid I can't speak from personal experience but I spoke to a French couple in Greece a couple of years ago. There experience was that they travelled through Albania on route to Greece. They had no problems and enjoyed there experience. As far as stopping the Albanians were happy for them to stay on there land for a couple of euro's. They said to just knock on their doors and ask. Hope this helps, let us know how you get on as it's a route that I'd like to use when time allows.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

T

TomTee

Deleted User
Baltic

I'm curious as to how Albania comes into a trip down the Baltic?

Albania is on the opposite side of the Aegean from Italy. Do you mean Estonia, which is on the Baltic?

The main problem with Albania is insurance, as your normal policy will not cover it, but I believe it can be bought at the border.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I'm curious as to how Albania comes into a trip down the Baltic?

Albania is on the opposite side of the Aegean from Italy. Do you mean Estonia, which is on the Baltic?
Yep.....Albania is a good 1500 mile south of the Baltic! :RollEyes:

Wonder what kind of navigation system VTR is using? ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
D

DavidVTR

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
Funster No
I meant Balkan... Sorry!
I spoke to NFU [my insurance provider] and they said there would be no problems visiting Albania?

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Never been in the camper and its a couple of years since we went but for what its worth...

Northern Albania is the most dangerous and I would advise on travelling down as far as Tirana/Durres before thinking about stopping and then you should be Ok. I wouldn't leave the van too long unatended at any time unless you are nehind locked gates and even then ( My mate had apair of shoes nicked from outside the front door from behind locked gates with a dog in attendance....).

The people are generally very friendly and helpful and it was cheapish to live there but prices were rising. There are some interesting sites to visit if you can find them and I think the south of the country is getting used to tourists now. English is spoken in the main conurbations but not out in the country.

beware the water and if you eat out avoid salads as they will have been washed in that water 9he speaks from experience). I think its like many balkan countries its fine if you take care.

T

TomTee

Deleted User
I meant Balkan... Sorry!
I spoke to NFU [my insurance provider] and they said there would be no problems visiting Albania?

I'm with the NFU as well and Albania is not on my list of accepted countries, so presumably they're quoting it at an extra cost? How much have they told you it's likely to be?

Thanks.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I'm assuming they've told you that over the phone? Ask them to confirm it in print and make a close examination of your current policy details.

The other point is ensure you have breakdown recovery which will cover you.

OP
OP
D

DavidVTR

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
Funster No
Correct, I asked them when I took the policy out and they said that it'd be fine.
I'll call them back tomorrow and report back...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
when i was with saga the only countries on the green card not covered was israel,iran,serbia and montenegro.albania was covered but border ins. could surely be got for montenegro.or maybe pay abit more to your ins company. always ask .some dont cover maroc ,some do. better to get it here if you can ,saves problems later. cheers alan.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Correct, I asked them when I took the policy out and they said that it'd be fine.
I'll call them back tomorrow and report back...
Before calling them I strongly suggest you look out your policy and check the countries covered. If Albania isn't listed by all means phone them, but if they say yes it's ok, ask them to send you written confirmation.
Without that you won't be going there!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i wouldnt even think of going unless i had a green card with all the countries i needed .becarefull to make sure all countries on route are included . border ins usually isnt much but can cause delays at borders . also get a european accident form from them makes life easier if the worse happens. have a good time and enjoy yourselves .cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back