Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Well after reading about it numerous times and shaking my head,thinking not me,today i managed to put £40 worth of unleaded into my mothers diesel car:Doh:needless to say iam not the blue eyed boy today:Eeek:

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well at least at todays prices 40 quids worth of petrol is not much. :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well after reading about it numerous times and shaking my head,thinking not me,today i managed to put £40 worth of unleaded into my mothers diesel car:Doh:needless to say iam not the blue eyed boy today:Eeek:

Siphon out as much as you can then fill it to the brim with fresh diesel and you should be ok providing you havent driven it.

Peter

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Pick a pump, any one you like. :ROFLMAO:

petrol-pump-range_997840c.jpg

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
If you are in the AA they have a service vehicle just for that type of `accident`:Doh::Doh::Doh:We saw one in the motorway services when we went to Carmarthen

OP
OP
bazfergy

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
If you are in the AA they have a service vehicle just for that type of `accident`:Doh::Doh::Doh:We saw one in the motorway services when we went to Carmarthen

with the rac and they quoted me £254.70 needless to say they got there answer:swear:

S

Shubberdog

Deleted User
:Doh:Another good reason for using LPG and it's only 62p per [FONT=&quot]Litre [/FONT]

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I guess where do you syphon a tankful of petderv into?

That's a lot of fuel.

I agree...it's bad enough trying to fathom out the premium from the regular at some garages and the derv pumps don't always seem to be the same colour or marked clearly......

Did you get it sorted ok?

A little bit in the derv seems, from what i've heard, to run ok albeit a little hot but £40 worth.Hope you didn't run it into the injection system.

Sounds like you realised it in time.:thumb:

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Perhaps there is a good reason to put diesel pumps in a separate section - away from the petrol so that there can be no doubt. At the very least, since it is possible to put a company logo on the delivery nozzle, a written warning would not go amiss.

One of the benefits of this is that the fools who rush the fill-up and carelessly spill diesel over the forecourt will not make life dangerous for motorcyclists. I ride a big bike and have a diesel camper and diesel car. I am meticulous about not spilling either petrol or diesel, and making sure that the last drop has left the spout (turning it appropriately to make sure). I don't wish to waste fuel or be responsible for the next person to slip on the spilled diesel.
Here in France, where practically every vehicle is diesel powered, it is a real hazard.

One of the clues to the pump being petrol is, of course, that the pump handle will be uncannily clean and dry!:winky:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
I ride a big bike and have a diesel camper and diesel car. I am meticulous about not spilling either petrol or diesel, and making sure that the last drop has left the spout !

Oooh er, I remember hitting a deisel spill doing 80mph round a long left hander on (I think) my suzuki Katana in mid eighties..........very very scary particularily when the back wheel stopped sliding and decided to grip again. Hand me my light brown trousers was the call of the day ::bigsmile:

Now I am just as carefull riding my little piagio scoot with its 10" wheels :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It won't do any long lasting damage other than wear your injector tips prematurely. If you drain out, put soime derv in. Then go to the front, take off the fuel filter, empty and fill with diesel and then retstart. It may chug for a while, until it all clears, take for a drive and blow it through and all will bve well with the world.

The barrel (usually 2) of contaminated fuel has to be properly disposed of. You can drop off at a refinery if you have one local, other recyclers will take for a hefty charge (thats why the RAC charge so much!) or alternatively, get hold of the military vehicle owners club - as many old trucks, especially Zils run on either fuel or a mixture of both! They will gladly releive you of it!

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Depends on the type of car, if it's the modern very high pressure diesel, then getting petrol to the pump can be very very costly indeed (couple of grand for a new pump alone)

the older diesels can run on pretty much anything that will fire from compression, 20% petrol used to be added in winter to stop the diesel waxing.

when i worked for the RAC, it'd be a charge for removing the mis fuel, a charge for 'disposing' of the mis fuel, then a charge for the new proper fuel, so you pay 4 times for your mistake (the origional wrong fuel, removing the fuel per litre, disposal then the new fuel)

of course the 'disposal' method was to empty the mis fuel container into one of the big wreckers fuel tanks, but you dont tell the customer that.

and if you'd run the engine before realising your mistake, then fuel filters, fuel line cleaning, injector cleaner and so on was added to the price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back