Autocruise timbers swelling. (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
We own a 2008 autocruise star spirit motorhome on a peugeot which we have had quite a number of problems with both engine wise and habitation. The latest problem is swelling of the timbers on the apertures round the outside locker doors. We took the motorhome back to our dealer who said it was not a manufacturers fault and that there was nothing he could do and reffered us to swift who now own autocruise. They said the same thing and my question to them was if it is not a manufacturers fault whose fault is it. I am concerned that if this swelling continues it will crack the fibreglass skin and where do we go then. I would like to hear from anyone with an autocruise with a similar problem or any other motorhome with the same problems.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Sounds like the seals on the locker doors have leaked allowing water ingress. Try changing the seals.

One way to see if they fit properly is to clean them and the area they seal against. Run chalk round the sealing surface but not the seal, Close the locker and the chalk should transfer to the seal if it is tight. Hope you understand that.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
W
Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
Sounds like the seals on the locker doors have leaked allowing water ingress. Try changing the seals.

One way to see if they fit properly is to clean them and the area they seal against. Run chalk round the sealing surface but not the seal, Close the locker and the chalk should transfer to the seal if it is tight. Hope you understand that.

Rgds
Bill
Swift are saying it is caused by atmospheric conditions not water ingress there is no damp anywhere.

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Trading standards or similar.

what use is a motorhome with timbers that swell due to atmospheric conditions, as you say, soon the skin will crack and then you'll have one hell of a problem.

way i see it, if air can get to the timbers, then so can water, dunno about fiberglass motorhomes, but my motorhome is an alli outer skin, pine 1 inch battons, polystyrene insulation and a 3mm faced ply inner skin,
anywhere i fitted lockers or windows, i put a wooden surround in the 'cavity', and this is sealed by the locker door/window,

where i did have a leak once due to a bead of sealant coming off, the timber surround did swell up slightly, so i removed the locker door and let the timbers dry out fully, then re-fitted with a good seal of sealant,
that was 5 years ago, and there's no signs at all of anymore dammage, so something is deffo not right on your vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Woodstock, I have serious doubts about wood swelling due to atmospherics :Eeek:
If that was the case it should be dry after the last couple of weeks-- It needs to be investigated - find the leak (there is one somewhere) seal it then let it dry out and seal the timber
terry

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Thanks for your quick reply but I do not see what I can do if they are saying they cannot or will not do anything about this problem

I would say you have to be more insistant, go back and tell you aren`t happy and if they refuse to sort out the problem then mention it to them that you are going to take it further, trading standards is a good place to start.

Are you a member of the camping and caravaning club or caravan club, they will have a legal section that will help you.

Good luck

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Woodstock,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Timber is indeed a natural product, and does contain some natural moisture when built. Moisture in the atmosphere can cause the timber to swell, but from what you describe, it is more than normal.

However, the confusing factor is if there was a leak through the locker door, you should see excess water in the locker area and / or a damp reading.

I would suggest further investigation is required by a dealer to confirm the locker door is water tight.

I hope that helps.

Ash

OP
OP
W
Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
autoruise timber swelling

will try c&c legal department tomorrow Thanks for the info. Still looking for anyone with same problem.

OP
OP
W
Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
Autocruise timber swelling.

Hi Woodstock,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Timber is indeed a natural product, and does contain some natural moisture when built. Moisture in the atmosphere can cause the timber to swell, but from what you describe, it is more than normal.

However, the confusing factor is if there was a leak through the locker door, you should see excess water in the locker area and / or a damp reading.

I would suggest further investigation is required by a dealer to confirm the locker door is water tight.

I hope that helps.

Ash
Hi Ash
I have been to the dealer who investigated it and said it was not damp so I do not see any point in taking it back to him also Julie has said swift go on what the dealer says. I am worried that if this problem progresses it will crack the skin on the outside of the motorhome also as it is affects the selling value. Hoping to hear from you soon.
Ron.
Where do I go next.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Back to the dealer :thumb: Back to the dealer,Back to the dealer :Eeek:
OR make your own investigations to find out where the water is getting in ! Atmospheric swelling will be minuscule-- Even then why is it open to the elements?
how old is your van ? the timber will only swell so much then rot,it will never swell enough to crack the fibreglass ! Go back (nicely) to the dealer and put your fears to him
terry

OP
OP
W
Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
Autocruise timber swelling

Thanks for the reply. This motorhome is nearly 2 years old there is no sign of water or damp in the area of the locker. I am thinking of getting an independant examination done.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi W/S if that is the case I think it may be one that AC did before they went bust and Swift bought them.Swift said that they would not honour any claims prior to them taking over so I think your only redress will be with the dealer
terry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Go back to the dealer and have a word...nicely firstly, nasty lastly as they say! If 'atmospherics' effect it that badly, then it isn't really fit for purpose is it?

Let the dealer sort it out - be polite but firm, and just state that it needs sorting out.

Atmospherics are so often used to bull people, that it's true nature and effects are not even believed anymore!

I recall a recovery job I had come in once, a car overheating. Tested the car, all was fine...it was just atmopspheric conditions....it was a very close and hot day, he had been in traffic and the outside temp was not disimilar to the engines operating temp, thus the fan just wasn't cooling to any real effect...would he beleive me????:roflmto:

We all had a good laugh at him thinking I was fobbing him off, but told him to trust me and he would be fine!

Going back to your frame, however, that would suggest more than just atmospherics! No way would that much swelling be caused by this. It would suggest that you have water coming in, or seeping from somewhere and being soaked up. Try the suggested chalk test and see how that comes up - if that is fine, don't rule out a possible internal water supply leak!

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Ron,

We do rely on our dealers to review the issue, suggest a solution (often with our help) and submit a warranty claim to us for resolution.

I would suspect that as your dealer is not able to find a fault, he cannot submit a claim for something he can't see.

However, in response to your specific question of what to do next, if you can drop me a PM with your details (name, contact details, dealer and VIN), I will review your case internally and see what we can offer.

I hope that is OK.

Thanks,

Ash

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You can't go far wrong there with the manufactuer willing to help - nice to see them taking the time! Well done swift!:thumb:

As i said before - don't rule out an internal water leak - it has been a hard winter, and wouldn't be the first time a tap/pipe has leaked out of view. This may be what is at fault. Without knowing the locality of the locker/pipework it is just a guess - but moisture is coming from somewhere.

Ask the dealer to have a second look, and check the water pipes - if no joy, Ash will no doubt offer assistance or advice!

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
I cannot for the life of me remember where but I have seen a similar post on another forum
with very similar problems. It may not be an isolated issue so it's worth doing a search on a few forums.

Hallii

OP
OP
W
Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
Autocruise timber swelling

Hi Ron,

We do rely on our dealers to review the issue, suggest a solution (often with our help) and submit a warranty claim to us for resolution.

I would suspect that as your dealer is not able to find a fault, he cannot submit a claim for something he can't see.

However, in response to your specific question of what to do next, if you can drop me a PM with your details (name, contact details, dealer and VIN), I will review your case internally and see what we can offer.

I hope that is OK.

Thanks,

Ash
The dealer does know there is swelling of the timbers but says nothing can be done, Also that there is no damp in that area. My details are rjlink@hotmail.com mobile phone number 07956 875942. Dealer name Baldwins of Halifax. Chassis number VF3YCBMAB11185744.
Regards Ron.

OP
OP
W
Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
Hi W/S if that is the case I think it may be one that AC did before they went bust and Swift bought them.Swift said that they would not honour any claims prior to them taking over so I think your only redress will be with the dealer
terry
Hi swift have honoured the warranty in the past but very slowly not very quick to put matters right.
Ron.

OP
OP
W
Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
Autocruise timbers swelling

Still looking for autocruise owners with same problem or any other motorhome owner with this problem. Thanks Ron.

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Ron,

You might want to delete the previous post with your personal information.

I can confirm that my colleague has received your e-mail, in response to your post on MH Facts, and has already passed your question / information to our Customer Care Team.

Thanks,

Ash

OP
OP
W
Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
Autocruise Timbers swelling

Still looking for Autocruise owners with this problem or any other make of motorhome suffering same problem.

D

Deleted member 22420

Deleted User
Autocruise timbers swelling

Hi

I think the problem is due to the joint in the locker’s external plastic surround. The joint is under the locker hinge, and while it hides the joint it also allows water to ingress and then by osmosis get into the locker wall and further up into the woodwork. My dealer discovered this and sealed the joint but I am waiting to have the damp fully removed from the locker wall.

Is it down to the manufacturer? Well yes I'd say so - but as Swift won’t honour any "pre-take over" Autocruise vans what can be done?

And as to Swift overall – well we bought a new caravan in 2006, numerous faults included: fridge wired to reversing lights and polystyrene packing left in hidden parts of oven - it produced a lovely black smoke! The “tick sheet” said these had been checked!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi

I think the problem is due to the joint in the locker’s external plastic surround. The joint is under the locker hinge, and while it hides the joint it also allows water to ingress and then by osmosis get into the locker wall and further up into the woodwork. My dealer discovered this and sealed the joint but I am waiting to have the damp fully removed from the locker wall.

Is it down to the manufacturer? Well yes I'd say so - but as Swift won’t honour any "pre-take over" Autocruise vans what can be done?

And as to Swift overall – well we bought a new caravan in 2006, numerous faults included: fridge wired to reversing lights and polystyrene packing left in hidden parts of oven - it produced a lovely black smoke! The “tick sheet” said these had been checked!!

Hi CC and welcome :thumb: you cannot do nothing except pay :Doh: :cry: unless you have recently bought the van from a dealer then you may have some redress from the dealer :thumb:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back