Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We had a Falcon perched on top of the wheely bin in our back garden last night. This was about 2040 hrs.

It allowed me to move within a foot or two of it and then started to make a spitting sound in its throat. It had one of those restraints around its leg, you know the sought of thing a bit like a dog leash.

It looked at me for a while and then went to sleep on me.

We phoned the RSPCA (which took some doing at that time of night) and they said they would be around to pick it up in an hour or so. This was because of the distance that she had to travel to get to where I live.

She said "dont worry it wont fly away because they cant see in the dark. Just keep an eye on it."

So I duly kept an eye on it for an eternity. A few hours passed and it was pitch black and cold but I dutifully stood in my socks watching the Falcon sleeping.

Next thing I know it wakes up, shakes itself and took off like rocket, it was absolutley massive.

It managed to navigate its way around Junes car, a barred gate, our mh and my car before disappearing into the night sky at a right rate of knots. What a bugger.

So can Falcons see in the dark.?

Jim
:Smile:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Yes reasonably well.. but tend to hunt during the day and at dusk through sight..

Where by

Owls are different, they have good night sight but hearing is there most used part of the body when identifying their dinner.

If the bird you had in your garden had jesses on, you could with a heavy glove gone up to it and caught hold of it..

Birds of prey are beautiful,, I love them, the wife used to breed owl`s for the New Forest Owl sanctuary who in turn shipped them to country`s with rat infestation..

Up till a couple of years ago I had a Huge Harris Supreme,, she was big and evil cant spell (Visous) she had a 6ft 3inch wing span..

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
If it was one of the Newcastle Falcons, it was probably recovering from a battering ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Yes reasonably well.. but tend to hunt during the day and at dusk through sight..

Where by

Owls are different, they have good night sight but hearing is there most used part of the body when identifying their dinner.

If the bird you had in your garden had jesses on, you could with a heavy glove gone up to it and caught hold of it..

Birds of prey are beautiful,, I love them, the wife used to breed owl`s for the New Forest Owl sanctuary who in turn shipped them to country`s with rat infestation..

Up till a couple of years ago I had a Huge Harris Supreme,, she was big and evil cant spell (Visous) she had a 6ft 3inch wing span..

Hi Mo
I spoke to a friend yesterday who kept Falcons himself at one time. He tells me it was a Harris Supreme. He tells me that a lot were let go into the wild by people who just couldn't be bothered to keep them and now they are actually breeding in the wild which surprised me.

The bird that was in our garden was semi tame, it wasn't bothered by me or anything else, like I said it had a sleep and then took off. It flew right past my face and the wing span was enormous. Its claws where scraping on top of the wheely bin and its beak looked rather large and sharp. I didnt have anything to cover my hand and arms with so left well alone.

It was a beautifull bird and hopefully it will be ok.
Cheers
Jim
:Smile:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
mystere falcons can , they just turn on the radar

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
Much better than the RSPCA who cannot respond in the dark, by the sound of things:Sad:
But that's no great surprise.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back