Hi All
Getting the ready for the road and was wondering about
installing Sat Nav.
Does anyone have any advice or recomendation
Happy trails:thumb:
Jim.

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Hi , you'll get lots of replies on this one, it all depends on preference, my choice is TOM TOM , easy to use and understand,good maps ,easy to update etc, I have only ever had TOM TOM [ I a on my second one ] so I have nothing to compare it with except to say tat I have friends who have other makes but I prefer mine, good luck with your search.:thumb::thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi
I have a Binatone which is ok but not great. I have just bought a TOM - TOM GO 910 which is far superior although I havent used all of the functions on it yet Iv'e tried it out on a couple of trips and its spot on.

The one that I bought is reconditioned byTOM - TOM and is sold as a new item with a 12 Month gaurantee.

If you type into google you will see it. I think if you look at the Banner Menu on the right hand side of the page you will see the advert.

Jim
:Smile:
Link Removed
Edit: Here it is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Jim
:Smile:
Link Removed
Edit: Here it is.

Bargain of a lifetime that. I remember when they came out it was the most expensive you could buy.

I so know a silly person who tried his on his bike, the hard drive gave up half way down France. Not unreasonable given the vibration.

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Another vote for TomTom here too,. I have it on a PDA and on my IPhone.

The only downside to the IPhone version is you cannot put on your own POIs, hence me keeping the PDA for the odd times I need that. I am sure it will come on one of the updates soon though.

I find the interface so easy to use and intuitive. I have also used a Garmin but found that not quite so clear on the graphics from but that may be because I am so used to the TomTom

Not sure what all the fuss is about wide screen as I tend to use track up and not overly worried seeing more to the left and right of the track. If I want to zoom out.

KenandSue

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
West London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1
Hi, we have just bought a Snooper Ventura S2000, which can be programmed in with the dimensions, weight etc of your vehicle. It then works out the most sensible route, and won't send you down narrow lanes and under low bridges etc. It warns of sharp bends, places where there are likely to be strong crosswinds, or other hazards. It has CC and C&CC sites already programmed in, together with LPG stations and other useful places. It has ACSI and BORD (?) campsites in for Europe, some with photos, and you can request the nearest site with, say, a pool/bar/whatever. For £30 a year, you get all the speed cameras data, and the unit has an audible/visual warning if you are above the limit for the road.

It can be used in the car as well, and can be programmed in for a number of vehicles (if you should be lucky enough to have more than one)!!!

Not cheap - we paid around £330, but it is a very useful bit of kit.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Tom Tom

Have a Tom Tom XL Europe but unlike the above post I cannot enter vehicle dimensions and have been caught out on a few occasions with low bridges and underpasses in France. ALWAYS read the map as you go along (as a safety tool) and don't slavishly follow the Sat Nav or you may end up in a v narrow street etc. It's an AID to navigation after all.
as for what system it depends on what you can afford at the end of the day
I am happy with mine and have programmed a lovely female voice from Dublin into it to keep me on the straight and narrow. Have to shout at her sometimes tho!!:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not sure what all the fuss is about wide screen as I tend to use track up and not overly worried seeing more to the left and right of the track.

There speaks a navigator. You're not interested far off left and right but need to see as far forward as possible to plan ahead.

Wide Screen is good - so it must be for GPS. Halfwits.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I suggest reading this thread on Truck type sat navs.

Link Removed

Sat Navs use the road classification system, and in France that can lead to some interesting routes .. For example, a D class road in France simply means it is maintained by the Department, .. it can be a dual carriage way or a narrow single track road..

Weight limits, low bridges etc can all be added as POIs to TomTom to route around, but due to restrictions in mapping you would need to physically measure every single road for a proper 'large vehicle sat nav,' that's not going to happen..

Any sat nav will take you say from London to Madrid without getting you lost or taking you down unsuitable roads, it's generally the last few miles to the site that can be a problem, and if the only access road is narrow or has a low bridge .. there is bugger all a sat nav can do ..
You must ALWAYS check the route on a good paper map before committing to the route, if you don't, one day you WILL end up in the sticky stuff, I learned the hard way..
Sat nav is an aid to navigation .. not a replacement for good maps and common sense.

The Clangers

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Renfrewshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
New
We run a small fleet of vans and use Tom Tom One's in them all. Drivers love them as so simple to use. Have had a couple go a bit wonky over the years, but used constantly for delivery work. I bought a Tom Tom One with Europe for my own van.

David

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
we still have the original tom tom "one" first edition which is quite old now, which cost £250 lots of years ago, cant remember when but it works brilliant and I have downloaded all the cc and the c&cc clubs in and all the low bridges and narrow roads all free when you go to POI's in the tom tom "home" I didnt know this until after I had paid £50 to download all this from a place dalled procab now you can get protour downloaded but why pay £50 when tom tom gives it free, the only time i ever had trouble is when it woulkdnt work and I just took the memory card out switched it off for one minute and then evrything was ok, chip filled up I guess as it did on the control panel on the sundance but didnt realise the problem until another funster called pablomc helped me out, thanks to him!! or her??

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
As usual, Haggis, bang on target, though we've no Tom Tom experience.

Driving, i've always had a navigator, either the Senior Partner everyday or a map wizard when rallying, so you do what you're told and he says sorry when you go over the cliff!* Seriously today they are vital on the roads, and Jim's right on the problems. In Wick, for example, there's a super camp site where you phone or take a long walk when you've got to where the sat nav doesn't tell you there's a low bridge, and they come out and you follow them round the town along the scenic route.

The SP has just got a new toy, a Garmin for walking, which we used for the first time out in the hills yesterday. (I kept map and compass, as I usually navigate). We were bioh impressed, particularly as you can download map "tiles" of the route which are OS map sections with the route pre-printed.) The only problem was that although it didn't try to take us over the cliff, it didn't distinguish terrain, so we had to go off route to avoid bogs etc. Quite fun this morning to download a plot of where we actually went compared with the proposed route - complete with times and distance! Throguhly reccomended.

* One incident springs to mind. On an International, my regular nav fell ill just before the start, and his replacement, a 1st rate nav, hadn't driven the car ( TR3A). So I asked him to drive the last 50 easy miles or so into Gothenburg. Going round the town, I suddenly spotted our ship at the other end of a long street. Me; "Turn left!". Nav " It's a one-way street!" Me, I'm navigating, go!" He did, I flashed the lights and hooted, and everyone got out of our way and we made it, just. So, always follow the nav!!!

OP
OP
mariner41

mariner41

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
scotland
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
3 years
Thanks for all the advice.
Once again the forum has helped.
I'll be googling to find the right one depending on the price.
once again thanks
Happy trails:Smile:
Jim.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
\Snooper Ventura S2000

Hi we are currently using Tom tom in Holland, not bad but you have to be careful, we nearly brought a snooper just before we came away, but it had to be mounted on windscreen, we have a A class and the screen is just too far away. Tom mounts its own little mount. When snooper can provide this I think we will get one.
Off to South of France on Sunday, with aid of Tom tom,
Regards Peter & Glynis

Hi, we have just bought a Snooper Ventura S2000, which can be programmed in with the dimensions, weight etc of your vehicle. It then works out the most sensible route, and won't send you down narrow lanes and under low bridges etc. It warns of sharp bends, places where there are likely to be strong crosswinds, or other hazards. It has CC and C&CC sites already programmed in, together with LPG stations and other useful places. It has ACSI and BORD (?) campsites in for Europe, some with photos, and you can request the nearest site with, say, a pool/bar/whatever. For £30 a year, you get all the speed cameras data, and the unit has an audible/visual warning if you are above the limit for the road.

It can be used in the car as well, and can be programmed in for a number of vehicles (if you should be lucky enough to have more than one)!!!

Not cheap - we paid around £330, but it is a very useful bit of kit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back