Konstance to Rhine Falls Switzerland (1 Viewer)

sostas

Free Member
Nov 16, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We are touring southern Germany next month and whilst in Konstance might fancy an excursion to the Rhine Falls in Switzerland.
Now I know that a Vignette is required to travel on Swiss motorways but does anyone know if I will need the Vignette to travel between Konstance and the Falls - a distance of some 30 miles or so which as far as I can tell is not on motorways?
Sostas :Smile:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Think it depends on weight. I think under 3500kg you are OK off motorways but over that and you need one for all roads. That said, from my experience of parts of Switzerland it can be difficult to stay off motorways!

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
We are touring southern Germany next month and whilst in Konstance might fancy an excursion to the Rhine Falls in Switzerland.
Now I know that a Vignette is required to travel on Swiss motorways but does anyone know if I will need the Vignette to travel between Konstance and the Falls - a distance of some 30 miles or so which as far as I can tell is not on motorways?
Sostas :Smile:
I'd suggest you head n/w out of Konstanz on the south side of the lake toward Steckborn > Stein Am Rhein > Schaffhausen. You will then avoid using any part of the motorway.

The falls are situated at Neuhausen just a couple of km's south of Schaffhausen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Think it depends on weight. I think under 3500kg you are OK off motorways but over that and you need one for all roads. That said, from my experience of parts of Switzerland it can be difficult to stay off motorways!
That's true though the Police there are quite wonderful and extremely forgiving toward foreigners! The same cannot be said for the Police on the border controls who are even despised by their own citizens!

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
They will almost certainly question your weight at the border. We crossed last summer at Bargen, coming down from the Black Forest to the falls and they pulled us over and took the van around the back to a weigh bridge. They clearly didnt believe we were under 3500KG but we were by 60KG. They gave us a print out with the date and the weight and every time we crossed the border (about 5 times) we were questioned. I just showed them the print out and they seemed happy. So answer is, if your under 3500KG you dont need a Vignette if your not going on the motorway if your over you will need to pay to use any roads and you cant just wing it.

Do see the falls though as they are fantastic. Great grassy car park where you can stay overnight if you wish for about 3 euros. Also if you walk directly beyond the car park for half a mile or so you come to a bridge across the rhine and on the otherside there is a great swiming spot. People were jumping off the bridge last summer and one guy was surfing on a bungee tied to the bridge against the fast flowing river. I wanted to have a go but Mrs D would let me!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back