Way to record travel on Lap Top. (1 Viewer)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Has anyone any suggestions how I can keep a record on the lap top of our travels this year we are away for 10 weeks at the moment, so although I have Jims excellent book on Destinations, I would like some format that I can keep a record.
Can not get my head around spreadsheets, so was wondering if there is any programme I could download.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks Carol.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has anyone any suggestions how I can keep a record on the lap top of our travels this year Carol.

Word/Notepad or any other text editor can be very powerful if you type in logically.

Date: D:10 M:05 Y:10 Site: Italy, San Remo Camping di Fiori. Excellent site by the Med. Stopped 4 days. Good place to get bus to San Remo.

Now with something as simple as this you can search for Date: or any day, any month any year. Or step from place to place, search on Site:

Add other keys Locale: Sea Med Mileage: Fuel:

The advantage you have over dedicated databases is total flexibility. You are not restricted to 20 characters for Place Name etc. If you want to write pages of description you can. And if you want, with Word, you can embed pictures.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
A spreadsheet will do a good job. If you have MS Office use excel or lotus 123. As an alternative down load OpenOffice from here (its free) http://www.openoffice.org

If you have a mac then get neooffice.

Edit: Sorry, just reread your post re spreadsheets. Must not speed read. :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

ian81

Free Member
May 27, 2008
Funster No
We uise a GPS logger -records our location and time every second. The resulting file can be uploaded to 'Google Earth' and photos can be tagged with a location so you can see precisely where you have been

GerardJanice

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
Funster No
Hi, we use Microsoft AutoRoute, not only does plot the route for you and guide you like a satnav but it will also create a GPS trail of exactly where you have been on the map.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
There are a few programs you can download if you google travel log software (some even free), however I have no practical experience of any of them.

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
You have some suggestions above which would do the job but if you want the RollsRoyce solution and $50 is within budget, I can heartily recommend The Journal from http://www.davidrm.com/
It is a cross between Word and Outlook calendar but it handles pictures easier than Word and even allows you to upload directly to a blog.
There is a 30-day free trial so you can have a look. We like it a lot!
Patrick

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
An easy way to do it as far as plotting is concerned would be to just keep a Word Journal like I do and start each daily diary log with the long and lat of your stop taken from the sat nav and then your diary and pics. I used to try and upload them to a blog but nobody was that fussed about reading it so I just keep it in Word for myself now.

If you have all the long and lats you can easily save them in Google Maps or Earth and plot where you have been. Me? Im too busy planning the next stop to think about the past.:Smile:

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just to say thank you for the reply's my dongle has not picked up a signal all week on the Coast in Pembroke but now in Temby good signal so shall look into the suggestions thanks again, Carol.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Carol

There was a journal program mentioned in the Motor Caravanners Club magazine a few months ago. It was called Nomads Notes, download cost $49 Australian dollars, about ÂŁ30 I think. You can have a look at it on the following link.

Link Removed

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
How about and external hard drive, Log all your travels, pics etc in word, or whatever you feel comfortable with, and save to hard drive?

When you get home, you can then easily transfer to a blog page, or have just keep it all on the external drive as storage.

If you get internet access, you can always blog as you go.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I used a basic Word table as a log/diary, quick and simple to update. It has 2 columns

No 1 column (small 15% of width) - has the Day and Date in (in bold) and below that I put in the overnight location (in bold). Later, when I fill it in, I put in the names of places we've been to (underlined) and then follow it with the weather for the day, much quicker than trying to read through the main text when doing planning in the future. You could also include the grid references in this section if needs be.

No 2 column (large 85% of width) - has a diary of what we did, times, costs etc too so that I can match up with any photos I take, I include in it where we shopped in case we are that way again, and any travel issues or other we had. I include the names of where we visited in this part too and underline them, it's then very easy to find them in the text.

I've been doing this simple since 2002 and it has served us very well - makes it very easy to see where we've already been, or where we might want to return to. I usually keep a hard-backed book with it all jotted down and then type it up when I get back though as I'm too busy enjoying myself when away!! :Cool:

However, for a longer period, I can see the sense in typing it up more often.:thumb:

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
We just use notepad (or similar) and use it as a journal. Then when we get a bit of wifi we upload it onto our free account at blogger.com

Then any friends/family can see how its going and its a good way to keep the record yourself.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,
For simplicity you could just write a new email each day detailing what happened etc etc. and either send if you get a signal to Googlemail for storage or save it to the drafts folder,

You may need to setup a second Googlemail address which you can use just for storage that will keep it safe and secure so you should never lose it.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
I have an Excel template which I use to record dates and times, places, mileage, fuel, other expenditure and suchlike. You can just put your own data in to it. If you want me to e-mail it to you PM me :thumb:.

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
How about IDailyDiary here Link Removed

Free version and a 'pro' version for $30