Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
I found the leisure battery dead on my Compass 115 today. I haven't used the van for three weeks and note that I had forgotten to switch the 12v system off after a loo flush last time I was out.

Since I was advised to ensure that the 12v master switch is 'off' when the van is not in use, I assume that there must be some drain on the battery if you inadvertantly leave the switch 'on', but i don't know what has drained it.

Any ideas?

The motorhome handbook also states that the onboard charger is not designed to charge a completely flat battery, so I have bought a charger & have my fingers crossed.

The battery (and van) is less than a year old.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Best of luck, that's what happened to me and I ended up getting a new battery. Mine was 2 years old, I tried to revive it to no avail.
:Sad::Sad::Sad:
Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
johngee

johngee

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
Do you know what caused the drain?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Compass57

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Low line
Exp
2 years
Engine wouldn't turn over.....

Very similar thing happened to me but I left my switch down on the Vehicle position which meant when I came to turn the engine over the battery was flat, I recharged and everything now is hunky-dory once more, luckily this happened while the van was standing on my drive and not in the dead and beyond of Mongolia.

Sorry but can’t come forward with an explanation for your problem.
Since my problem I doubly make sure the switch is off before I leave the van anywhere....my lesson learnt I think.

Bip.:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Do you know what caused the drain?

I had left the van as normal, not turning off the control panel. The standing load causes between 0.15A and 0.25A drain, for the relays etc. When you work it out such a drain will drop the reserve power down to 50% on a 110 AHr battery in a couple of weeks.

Now I always hook-up when on the drive and switch from habitation battery to chassis battery for one day a week to keep that battery charged up as it will only last a couple of weeks with no charge.

If you can't keep the van on hook up take the battery out and stick it on charge in the house.

Rgds
Bill

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi

Same here, off at main panel but I suspect that it was my reversing camera circuit as since isolating, it has never drained again. If you have flattened your batteries, assuming they are deep cycle, leave on trickle charge for several days you may be lucky and revive them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
johngee

johngee

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
Charged up the battery overnight with my trusty new Halfords charger, which has a max of 70ah. Then put the 85 ah battery back in the van, hooked up & soon back to normal. The battery is also holding it's charge, so I think I got away with it:thumb:

Thanks for your help, guys.

steamengine

Free Member
Sep 20, 2010
Crewe
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Had a similar thing happen, parked at the son's house while we went on holiday. when we called to thake the van home the engine just about turned over we think that while the lad was showing off his new aquision he turned the master switch to vehicle and left it there on this van the amplifier (after market fitting) to the tv ariel is wired to be on when the master switch is on in both positions.:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back