Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Skype Phone
As a techno dinosaur, could some one please tell me (In easy to understand terms)
how to go about it

For instance
Do i need a skype phone?
Can I call any phone number even though its not a skype number?
Does it have any effect on my current phone providers billing?
How do i connect to it?
Can I use it from anywhere, with internet connection?
What does it cost?

And anything else that you can think of for a techno failure like me

Thanks in advance funsters
Happy Daze:Doh:
Chrisboyo

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Skype Phone
As a techno dinosaur, could some one please tell me (In easy to understand terms)
how to go about it

For instance
Do i need a skype phone? - NO
Can I call any phone number even though its not a skype number? - YES BUT NON SKYPE CALLS ARE CHARGED
Does it have any effect on my current phone providers billing? - NO
How do i connect to it? - DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAMME FROM - WWW.SKYPE.COM
Can I use it from anywhere, with internet connection? - YES
What does it cost? - SKYPE TO SKYPE IS FREE.

And anything else that you can think of for a techno failure like me - JUST GIVE IT A GO

Thanks in advance funsters
Happy Daze:Doh:
Chrisboyo

Hope the above helps

PS you dont need a web cam but it helps.

Cheers

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Skype Phone

Do i need a skype phone?
Can I call any phone number even though its not a skype number?
Does it have any effect on my current phone providers billing?
How do i connect to it?
Can I use it from anywhere, with internet connection?
What does it cost?

Point at a time

1. No, you can use your laptop/desktop PC or Mac provided it has speakers and a mic, or you can use a head set.
2. Yes, provided you have subscribed
3. No.
4. Download the Skype software
5. YES
6. Skype to Skype is FREE.. if you want to call land lines you need to subscribe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I too am a technophobe but during the recent air travel debale it has proved invaluable in keeping intouch with my daughter and her family stranded in Lanzarote for seven days and with my neice stuck in Paris.

However, to answer your question,

Skyp is a form of vocal and/or video comunication between computers so you need a computer with a microphne and a webcam if you wat video. Once downloaded it is FREE!!! You can broaden the system to include calls to land lines and mobiles at home and abroad and the costs are well below most other providers.

Onec downloaded and signed on it really is easy to use, even I can do it.

Bridgy

Free Member
Jan 15, 2010
Liverpool
Funster No
Hi there.

My wife and i use Skype often as we have a 7 month old daughter and her grandparents live in the Isle of Wight and Hereford, whereas we live in liverpool.

We Skpe our parents so they can view Chloe and how she is coming on via an internet feed. As long as the other person has a computer with camera this is possible.

Although I am sure this can be done via computer with no visuals.

As for calling numbers again i am sure this is easily possible but I believe this is only possible after you pay a fee. The video calling is completely free.

When you pay a fee I think you will be able to call any number across the globe via your internet connection.

Sorry i am not sure fo the prices though.

hope this helps

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Wow! So many replies in the time I wrote my answer. This site is great for anyone requiring help or advice.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
follow peter H's advise.

note...it doesnt work on some internet dongles due to bandwidth restrictions.

calls to landlines and mobiles and international numbers are charge for but at greatly reduced cost.
buy credit on skypes website but you must make at least one call, to a landline, every six months or lose all credit.
there is a list of charges on the skype webpage.

i think minimum credit is £10

calls from skype to skype are free.

i called Abbey's help center in the uk from my hotel room in sanfrancisco via my laptop and hotels internet hotspot....20 minute call cost 17p total cost.

the only additional cost is a microphone and earphones...usually combined in one unit.....and if you want video, a webcam.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
I have a belkin skype phone as well , means I can pick up a connection without needing to take a computer with me
it doubles as my wifi finder
about the size of a mobile phone

OP
OP
chrisboyo

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Thanks All

Another one for you

If I were to make a call to a Skype number and their PC is not switched on, would it ring their end?

Would it be worth using Skype for the majority of my calls, I never call international numbers but may use it when on hols abroad to phone home.

Keep em coming
Chrisboyo:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no it wont Chris...their pc must be on and skype must be active.

i very rarely use skype now the novelty's worn off but it is a very cheap option to a fixed landline.

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Thanks All

Another one for you

If I were to make a call to a Skype number and their PC is not switched on, would it ring their end?

Would it be worth using Skype for the majority of my calls, I never call international numbers but may use it when on hols abroad to phone home.

Keep em coming

No, you can only call a person on a computer if they are logged in. Friends etc will show as an icon on the skype window. You can find others via the directory. But a call to their computer requires that the computer is swithed on and they have skype running in the background.

You can however, if you are subscribed, use skpye to call a conventional number or a mobile at any time, at a small cost.

Oh you can also send a text message to a mobile with skype. Which I do because I can type on a keyboard much faster than I can text with a mobile. (I have to sit down in the quiet somewhere to use my mobile to text ! )

Peter

When you have loaded up skype, send me an IM and I'll show you how the calls work.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks All

Another one for you

Keep em coming

I investigated Skype, but was unsure of the possible costs, so decided to go with Yahoo Messenger. This is very straight forward and my family have downloaded the software so we can keep in touch where ever we are - in Spain even!

It is very easy to use and the Messenger comes up with all your contacts when you log on, it shows who is online and you just click video or voice call, your computer and the person you are contacting rings and you click connect - easy peasy! No cost, no hassle, but you can only call computers which have the messenger software installed.

Ginny

garfield

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
North west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
40yrs
You could also buy a 3 skype pay as you go phone for 39.99p So you are signed in to skpe all the time. The phone can also be used as a 3G modem. Top up with £10 and get free 3 to 3 calls 15MB of internet and 600 texts for 90 days.

iveco

Free Member
Apr 3, 2010
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
self build van
Exp
skype france and spain

When we are abroad we use Skype all the time just create a Skype account and use your card to load some credit, We normally load £5.00 whitch buys over 8 hours talk time, around 1p a min to landlines, and 11p a min to mobiles or free computer to computer.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
if you are a saddo geek like me and have an internet enabled "smart phone" you can Skype from your mobile too...

JJ

With an account you can also text to mobiles cheaply and IM Skype to Skype free (useful if your provider doesn't allow voice calls)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Chris, if I can do it you can to. just go into Skype download it for free, tell your friends or family who you want to keep in touch with to download skype as well as you will be sorted.
We were are away now in St Davids was on the quiz last night and the skype rang it was friends in Switzerland on Skype.
One point if you are on a dongle do not put your web cam up or you will loose your connection just use it as a call unless you have a strong connection.

You should have said at Carmarthen and we could have had a go.

Good Luck. Carol.

OP
OP
chrisboyo

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Well dear funsters
I took a deep dreath, girded up my loins, settled down at the lappy and did it !

Yes, all on my own, I downloaded SKYPE

Thanks dear funsters for all your help :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Now then, all I gotta do is use it

But i Think I will go and have a lie down first

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

stuhaynes

Free Member
Jan 26, 2010
Funster No
Skype - Brilliant!!

Point at a time

1. No, you can use your laptop/desktop PC or Mac provided it has speakers and a mic, or you can use a head set.
2. Yes, provided you have subscribed
3. No.
4. Download the Skype software
5. YES
6. Skype to Skype is FREE.. if you want to call land lines you need to subscribe.

There is some very good info here but hope you don't mind if I add my tuppence worth.

If you're not aware you can get a Skype number that looks just like a land line number. This is useful to me because I operate my business from our boat and don't want to make it look as if I using only a mobile.

Skype calls are very cheap, especially international ones.

Make sure that you get the best deal on your dongle. I'm using one from '3' and getting 15 gigs a month for £15. If you have less than that you risk going over your limit and they charge through the nose for extra usage. If you already have a '3' dongle with only 1, 3, or 5 gigs a month (the older contracts) make sure you check their site regularly to make sure you don't go over.

I don't live in a house, but if I did, I would install Skype instead of either a landline or mobile. Save a fortune!

Hope this helps

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I registered for Skype some time ago but found it of little use in my circle. Maybe i need to be updated on current use.

Please answer the following:-

1. Is there a directory of users and how is it accessed? - by name, geographical etc., I do not want to e-mail all my contacts every month to ask 'Are you on Skype yet?'

2 I do not like to leave my computer on-line because of hacking/virusi (sic)-from the Latin, like what not many US Citizens do not understand). So is there any kind of alert system on Skype which says 'missed call'?

3 How does it work compared to Raketu, to which I also subscribed but could not get on-line ( they owe me £6)

At the moment I have Talk Talk contract at home - Line about £11 plus £6.49 for Broadband, free evening +W/E calls, 36 country calls all day (most of the ones I want) and many others e.g Norway 2p/min.

Geoff

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
I think all the Skype questions are answered above.

We only use it to "skype out" to, say, call parents on their normal number. then say "turn your laptop on and we'll call you for free" :) So call costs 1-2p max.

If you use skype out you need to pay (as mentioned by others). Use a cashback site though - you get 25% cashback :) See http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/resources-downloads/making-money-us-you/ for a bit of info on cashback sites.

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
When in France, or UK, I use MacDonalds for free internet and Skype to call home to landlines. Very cheap and easy to use. Use a WebCam and have managed video calls virtually all the time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back