Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Thinking of going France soon. Bought book on French Aires but it specifies that most French Aires cater for motorhomes up to 7mtres. My motorhome is 7 mtres 13 cm. has anybody experienced this being a problem, or is it thereabouts/nearenough in terms of size?

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Ours is 7.32m. Just been to France for the 1st time and the Aires we found were ok. We wimped out and did campsites as well but I wish now we'd stuck to Aires. Can't wait to go back now we know the ropes :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Never had a problem and there are vans that use them that are a lot bigger than ours, like the big RVs for example. Aires are fantastic, have a great time.

Upvote 0

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Many aires are small so it would not be reasonable for a big american rv to cruise in and park across several parking bays (but some do), but as long as you can park your rig within the allotted area (if marked) without getting in everyone's way, you will have no problems. Just don't expect to have a 25' x 25' pitch all to yourself. The French especially, will get at least three motorhomes in that space and consider it quite normal.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with all that's been said.. Tony's answer is spot on ..

We have an 11mt RV and have used aires almost exclusively and have always found ones big enough without taking up more space than we should .. off season there is no problem..

have a look at my album for some examples of great aires, Link Removed also my map of aires that can accommodate the largest motorhomes.. link in signature.

Two examples ....

Brittany

Link Removed

Atantic Coast
Link Removed

and a German Stelplatz

Link Removed

Upvote 0

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
I think that book advises that most Europeans own motorhomes at 7m or less and the aires are designed with that in mind. But, in reality this is a generalisation and you'll have no problem at all.

Not all aires have the space shown in Jim's photos but even in the car park style ones you'll be fine. Often where spaces are a bit short you can reverse your overhang over a verge or kerb to get into the space.:thumb:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not all aires have the space shown in Jim's photos .....

Hi Neil ..:Smile:

Indeed they don't, many are totally unsuitable with an RV, but there are many that are. It was my motive for starting a Google map suitable for big outfits.

I posted these two to illustrate and to dispel the idea that aires are only concrete car parks for motorhomes of a certain size.

Discretion is the watch word.. if you squeeze into a tight aire and take up more than your fair share you are doing no one any favours.. least of all yourself..

Upvote 0

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Discretion is the watch word.. if you squeeze into a tight aire and take up more than your fair share you are doing no one any favours.. least of all yourself..

Hi Jim, you're spot on there! I don't think overhanging a verge or kerb counts for much though - its the folks who extend sideways with their awnings, chairs and the like that get up others noses :Doh:.

Common sense should rule... but there are a lot of people about who sadly don't seem to care much :Angry:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Common sense should rule... but there are a lot of people about who sadly don't seem to care much :Angry:

Indeed Neil, and in my experience the worst offenders are the Germans and Spanish ..

Just one example. At the height of the season at Mimizan Aire, I watched in amazement, four German vans pulled in, formed a square around a space like wagon train, then erected a gazebo , out came the barbie and party table.. talk about a brass neck.. no wonder the French get the hump ..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Thanks for all responses

Thanks to all for experiences, its just one of those things I have never experienced so am unsure of what to expect. Sure ill be coming back thinking I made a fuss over nothing, but was worried I might be seeing signs like 7metres + = NON

Upvote 0

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Hi not wanting to change the direction of this thread, when we were in La Cala near Malaga which is just a free open parking space where the market is. 6 traveler's pulled on with caravan's and formed a circle, we not feeling safe moved on to another free site as did other's when pulling out the police turned up to speak to them. We returned the next day and they had gone, we were in the process of brewing a cuppa and the police returned they came stright to us and asked if we were alright and that they alowed caravan's on the site but they would not allow them to form a encampment ie a circle which made us feel a lot safer :thumb:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thinking of going France soon. Bought book on French Aires but it specifies that most French Aires cater for motorhomes up to 7mtres. My motorhome is 7 mtres 13 cm. has anybody experienced this being a problem, or is it thereabouts/nearenough in terms of size?

themountaintiger
Your motorhome IS PERFECT........many of the French are going A class, your size or a little bigger...7.25....7.50.....I think it has mentioned 7 meters so you would get on any site...I am travelling around south eastern France at this very moment around canals and rivers (and trying to do a little fishing as it has been years since I did river & pond fishing).....and the Aires have been perfect in fact great….. my MH in 6.8m with lots of clearance ( I am thinking of going A class 7.3m and I only use Aires)....this aire I have just arrived on is Mmmmm to die for, waterfall in a pretty village all trees around for shade ..(LARGE CARP NO BUT NO FISHING I think they are pets as they come and feed them on the top of the water)....Because YES it is very hot hot and has been for three weeks I have been in shorts all the time temps 30c to 38c it has been like summer..........this site I am on now says tight access....but you would get in and what a place it is ...there is a PILOTE EXPLORATEUR 713 A class and I think that is about 7.30m at the side of me.....:thumb:
A lot of the Aires I have been on would take RVs......and don't forget lots of Brits & French & Belgium & German have your length PLUS bikes and scooters on the back...you do not know what you are missing!!!! we have just done about two and half weeks, and only paid on one site 5.50 € for two nights including electricity....all the rest have been free we have just had to pay for water on two sites and empty because they have been FLOT BLEU these are locked and need tokens to get access but there has been a machine to get tokens at the side...so no problems.....when I get back I will put a lot of photos of the Aires we visited on MHF.....so look out for them....:thumb:

SO to all you Brits I feel very guilty stopping at all these FRENCH Aires and sitting in all this SUN in fact most of the time tooooo hot to sit in and its melting the sealing compound

Mel :thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::whistle::sin::sin:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
themountaintiger
Your motorhome IS PERFECT........many of the French are going A class, your size or a little bigger...7.25....7.50.....I think it has mentioned 7 meters so you would get on any site...I am travelling around south eastern France at this very moment around canals and rivers (and trying to do a little fishing as it has been years since I did river & pond fishing).....and the Aires have been perfect in fact great….. my MH in 6.8m with lots of clearance ( I am thinking of going A class 7.3m and I only use Aires)....this aire I have just arrived on is Mmmmm to die for, waterfall in a pretty village all trees around for shade ..(LARGE CARP NO BUT NO FISHING I think they are pets as they come and feed them on the top of the water)....Because YES it is very hot hot and has been for three weeks I have been in shorts all the time temps 30c to 38c it has been like summer..........this site I am on now says tight access....but you would get in and what a place it is ...there is a PILOTE EXPLORATEUR 713 A class and I think that is about 7.30m at the side of me.....:thumb:
A lot of the Aires I have been on would take RVs......and don't forget lots of Brits & French & Belgium & German have your length PLUS bikes and scooters on the back...you do not know what you are missing!!!! we have just done about two and half weeks, and only paid on one site 5.50 € for two nights including electricity....all the rest have been free we have just had to pay for water on two sites and empty because they have been FLOT BLEU these are locked and need tokens to get access but there has been a machine to get tokens at the side...so no problems.....when I get back I will put a lot of photos of the Aires we visited on MHF.....so look out for them....:thumb:

SO to all you Brits I feel very guilty stopping at all these FRENCH Aires and sitting in all this SUN in fact most of the time tooooo hot to sit in and its melting the sealing compound

Mel :thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::whistle::sin::sin:

Ok Mel you win on that one, my jealousy is only tempered by the fact that Ive just sent off for my Eurotunnel tickets (via tesco clubcard deals) so will be in sunny?? France 3rd week in May for a couple of weeks. Sorry to hear that your having to cope with the hot weather, its just a shame isnt it :Cool:!! I bet your full of guilt as well that youve actually spent 5.5 Euros..., how can you cope with that! Thanks for info on sizing...perhaps I need to be thinking of getting a scooter, rather than worrying about current length.

Happy travels
Ta

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back